Old 10-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #11
We have a driver's door on the rig in our signature. It is actually placarded as an emergency exit. I find that a bit odd, as you can't unlock the door from inside. I had a nasty experience with that door on our last trip and am still recovering from badly over-extended leg muscles. My doctor said it is still a lot better than quadraplegia or a wooden box. Had I not beat myself up trying to stay on board, I'd have fallen backwards onto my head on a concrete pad.

We have the barrel chair, just ahead of the house door. It moves along a short track across the floor behind the front passenger seat and it swivels. It is fitted with a seat belt. The big snag with ours is that it has cloth upholstery, and the back of the chair is the thing you grab when boarding. Whichever chair you get, see if you can get leather. At 8+ years old, ours looks very grubby.

F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #12
I know most of the items that you had questions about have been answered. Since there are many changes in the Georgetowns since we bought ours in 2008, some i can't comment on. The dual pane windows, a must in cold and hot weather. Two A/cs if you plan on coming south in April. In fact, upgrade the front one to 15000 btu. The washer/dryer is a good option but with the bunks there isn't room. Most campgrounds have clean laundrys. The convection Oven is a good item. We opted on the gas oven too. The new three way camera would be confusing to me. But we have towed for a long time and i use the mirrors. I use the backup camera to watch the car we tow to Florida.
What hasn't been addressed here is the Coach's Frame and manufacture. Because Ford makes it, all of the parts are Ford and thats a plus when being repaired. Ford Truck dealers have all of the parts. You might find that aftermarket items such as stearing stablizers and air bags are needed to steady the coach on a winding road. All of this is discussed on this web page. I think you will enjoy the Georgetown. I know we have....

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
I had drivers doors on my last two motorhomes. The first one was a 1991 Southwind on the old Chevy chassis witn19 inch wheels. I found the door quite helpful and convenient. When I bought my next rig, a diesel pusher with larger basement and 22 1/2 inch wheels I insisted on a drivers door based on my previous experience. It was so hard to get in due to the additional height that I very seldom used it. I now have the 2010 Georgetown 350 TS and it does not have a drivers door and I am just as thankful that it does not. They are too hard to crawl into. I would pass on that option.
We have a fantastic fan in the bathroom. those little mickey mouse things may suffice to clear odour but they will not help much with the ventilation and removal of heat from your coach. My wife is irritated by a lot of noise as you get from the air conditioner so the fantastic fan in the bathroom along with the "wannabe fantastic fan" in the living room do a pretty good job of keeping the rig cool. Not like the AC of course but helpful.
I would get the two A/C's. These Carrier A/C's are operated by remote control and can be turned on and off with the timer function built into the remote. This is a nice feature as you can have it come on a half hour before you are due to return home and you come home to a nice cool rig. I believe you can also set it at a specific temperature but I am not certain about this as I have not used the A/C that often. The furnace operates on the same remote.
I only had the rig 5 days before some drunk ran a stop sign with his 3/4 ton pickup and wiped out 20+ feet of the side of our new coach. It is still in the repair shop 2 1/2 months later. Forest river 'dropped the ball" when the parts were ordered and sent somme wrong pieces and omitted some. It's very exasperating.
As others have said, if you have driven for years using mirrors, the side cameras will be overlooked as you will automatically check the mirrors instead. The side mirrors are a help in backing up into parking or camping spaces.
See if you can get FR to terminate the sewer/grey water terminal inside the compartment. Mine, on the 2010, teminates under the comparment and you have to get down on your knees to watch while you try to connect the hose on the fitting which is out of view. They may have changed this in 2011 but it is worth checking to see if you will be happy with this obnoxious arrangement.
Unless you plan on putting in an inverter, I would recommend the Jensen TV in the bedroom. It will operate on 12VDC or 120VAC which is a nice feature when boondocking or dry camping on those overnight stops when you are not connected to all the utilities.
When you order, see if you can get compartment lighting put in. Mine does not have it and it is such a common feature that many people, like me, fail to check that there is lighting in these compartments. It is especially nice to have lights in those comparments where your water, sewer and power hook ups are located to assist when you check in late and it is dark outside.
The Georgetown has a lote of nice standard features and some great options that will enhance your camping enjoyment.
Happy Camping,
starburst2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
Thank you, thank you for all your kind responses and opinions which are all so helpful. Just a quick response tonight to say thanks,
TerapinandBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Must have options

2nd ac is a must. Dual payne you will be glad you got.Heat strips are A low priced item that will pay for themselves in no time. Skip the side cameras , you cant see much in them anyway. Good luck and welcome aboard you are purchasing A lifestyle that cannot be matched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	3681  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
About the driver's door, I wouldn't do without one. Frist of all if you ever find yourself is a situation where you might be going over a clif, no need for everyone to go...just kidding...I don't use it to get in and out of the rv, but it sure comes in handy if you have to get to the fuses under your dash...they are a long way back and hard to get to without that door.As for the washer and dryer, imho a big waste of money.
I also don't think seat belts do a very good job in a motorhome, they are there for false security for the most part, ( Think, how many on your Public Bus service?) the whole motorhome is wood, fiberglass and not much else. Driving one is like playing Russian roulette every time you go out. I know so why do I do it, because life itself is a big game of Russian Roulette.
Jusy my 2 cents worth, nothing else...

JDickson is offline   Reply With Quote