Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #21

berkshire 390rb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix View Post
Ordered the Hellwig 7216 and 7217 kits for front and rear sway bars from SD Truck Springs for $863.00, this included and additional $40.00 off deal. It took 2 hours to do the front bar replacement. The rear bar is in addition to the OE sway bar. The hardest part was the frame brackets and getting clearance with the leaf springs in the way. Ended up using the MH jack system to unload the suspension a bit to gain access. Took us 4 hours to do the rear. Getting the new longer shackles bolts (8 of them) torqued to 300 ft-lbs was entertaining.

Big improvement in stability... no more wobbly box. Easy 2 finger driving down the road. Glad I did it.
Has anyone added rear swaybar on 390 rb I have a 2014 that I have added roadmaster steering stablizer but would like to do something to the rear
bud1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #22

I have added both a rear track bar and a front steering stabilizer to my 2015 Georgetown 364TS. There was about a 30 percent improvement, but not what I was looking for. Interestingly, I just came back from TX four days ago. After a flat tire (slow leak in valve stem) I crawled under the coach and found that the rear sway bar had broken loose from its mounting bracket on the differential. The Ford Motorhome Division directed me to a nearby (53 miles) dealer who works on motorhomes. As I was describing the problem to the Service Manager he said "does it look like this one on my desk?" Although he doesn't know why they break, he's seen it before. In my continuing attempt to handle the excessive sway, I am going to the Hellwig...first the front and then the rear if the front alone isn't enough. So far, I'm into this thing $1,800 with little improvement.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #23

swaybar

Sorry took so long to get back been working on shed. Sounds like maybe need to wait and see if that's works for you before sending a bunch of money. Seems to me this is a problem alot of people have, I say fix before leaving factor would do best.

Bud
Old 05-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #24

Through all of this, the FR tech rep was with me to ensure Ford did what they needed to do. When the sway bar bracket was done, the FR tech rep asked if there was anything else he could do for me. I said, "Yes, in fact there is something else you can do for me. Given the sway problems I am having, and in light of the $1,800 I've already spent, what might FR recommend to solve this problem?" I'm looking forward to their response and will share it with the others.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #25

Just so it is clear... my 327DS is a 20,500 lb GVWR unit. According to the placard in the coach, I have over 4200 lbs of payload.

With the above scenario, the Hellwig front and rear bars are great!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #26

ChckSix, I am right on the verge of buying the Hellwigs but want to hear from FR first, which I suspect will be in the next day or two. Where did you purchase your Hellwigs? What do you think if I were to purchase just the fronts first to see if they might solve the problem?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
ChckSix, I am right on the verge of buying the Hellwigs but want to hear from FR first, which I suspect will be in the next day or two. Where did you purchase your Hellwigs? What do you think if I were to purchase just the fronts first to see if they might solve the problem?
I purchased them online at SD Truck Springs. Re-read my first post in this thread for the details.

We already discussed earlier in this thread doing front only and my opinion is, don't mess around. Buy both front and rear Hellwigs and install them. It took me and my buddy 6 hrs to do it and you do have to have some serious tools. I've mentioned some of them earlier, like the torque multiplier. I ended up doing both for under $1000.00 + my labor. If you pay someone else to install them, plan on 6 hrs of shop labor x their shop hourly rate.

The Ford OE hardware is Mickey Mouse stuff compared to the Hellwig parts.

If you do order from SD Truck Springs, be advised they have the bars and hardware kits drop shipped from Hellwig directly to the buyer. In my case, it took a tick over 2 weeks from order, to delivery.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSix View Post
Ordered the Hellwig 7216 and 7217 kits for front and rear sway bars from SD Truck Springs for $863.00, this included and additional $40.00 off deal. It took 2 hours to do the front bar replacement. The rear bar is in addition to the OE sway bar. The hardest part was the frame brackets and getting clearance with the leaf springs in the way. Ended up using the MH jack system to unload the suspension a bit to gain access. Took us 4 hours to do the rear. Getting the new longer shackles bolts (8 of them) torqued to 300 ft-lbs was entertaining.

Big improvement in stability... no more wobbly box. Easy 2 finger driving down the road. Glad I did it.

Hey checksix.
I ordered the 7216 rear kit also but it didn't come with any instructions at all. Did you get any? Can you share?
Got it from sdtruckspring also.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #29

Also any pictures of completed install?

Old 09-27-2015, 05:19 AM   #30

No pictures I'm looking at putting anti sway bar on rear of 2014 390 Berkshire found one at SS parts will have installed
Old 09-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #31

I finally found an installation procedure. It's on sd trucksprings site not on Hellwigs. Hellwigs has wrong instructions for this 7216 bar.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:24 AM   #32

Great that u found it, but seems to me if forest river built them right we all would
not being doing this. To much weight on to small a frame.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud1249 View Post
Great that u found it, but seems to me if forest river built them right we all would
not being doing this. To much weight on to small a frame.

I'm actually pretty comfortable driving ours after chf. I just wanted to add what I thought would be the best roll or sway improvement against winds and fast passing semis and turning. Several years back we actually had a semi blow past us at 90+ mph on I16 and it caused our tt to jack knife and rolled our crew cab truck. Our GT is much more stable but DW and KD get a little nervous still. I think this install will be best we can make it.

Tags
sway