Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #21

Put in about 5 gals of water then drive up to the nearest store buy 2 bags of ice and drive back home and dump the ice moving around will scrub your tank
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
Put in about 5 gals of water then drive up to the nearest store buy 2 bags of ice and drive back home and dump the ice moving around will scrub your tank
That won't work in Arizona in the summer
Water temp in the tank gets over 90 degrees so the ice will probably melt within seconds.

I guess I could wait until winter when the temps finally drop below 70 degrees at night.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Clogged black tank

More than likely the black tank got so full that brown gold fish (POO) was backed up to the base of the toilet underneath the ball. you may have to
drain the tank, Turn off the water to the camper. Pull a hose into the bathroom
to where you can open the flush ball in the toilet, using the hose with a nozzle
wash the toilet throat under neath the flush ball to remove all the back up.
If this works for you, you will become (AS WE SAID IN THE NAVY) the
"OFFICAL TU_D NAVIGATOR"

GOOD LUCK
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #24

There's a YouTube video that shows how adding ice to a black tank does nothing. Do a search for it.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
There's a YouTube video that shows how adding ice to a black tank does nothing. Do a search for it.
I'm not sure I agree with his methodology.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
That won't work in Arizona in the summer
Water temp in the tank gets over 90 degrees so the ice will probably melt within seconds.

I guess I could wait until winter when the temps finally drop below 70 degrees at night.
then use 5 bags and go fast
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:53 AM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Black tank troubles

IGGY, the fellows that use ice to assist in helping the Black Tank Get back to normal can use DEHYDERATED ice that becomes slow melting when it comes in contact with a POO liquid for your area. LOL
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #28
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Why. Cross contamination. That's no trick.
Then you have to flush the gray water tank out a few times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
What you should have been taught is to dump the grey water last to cleanout the sewer hose with black tank valve closed. What you were taught is not a procedure trick it was someone playing a trick. JMO

First off, the black tank is drained FIRST!

There really is no cross contamination issue!

Secondly...since the black tank was drained first and the back flush was done several times...

I still have a mostly FULL gray tank to clean out the sewer hose...

Not to mention that I will still clean out the gray tank with clean water.

So your comments are not valid.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
First off, the black tank is drained FIRST!

There really is no cross contamination issue!

Secondly...since the black tank was drained first and the back flush was done several times...

I still have a mostly FULL gray tank to clean out the sewer hose...

Not to mention that I will still clean out the gray tank with clean water.

So your comments are not valid.
Glad you edited your post. Cleaning the sewer hose does nothing to help the OP clog issue. I am not a fan of trying to get a FULL gray tank cause that is another step in getting on the road. My sewer hose is fine after I do a flush. How do you get a FULL gray tank? I assume you have to close the gray tank valve, either fill the tank or have someone take a shower? Coordination and risk of overfill of gray tank complicate things. Just leave gray tanks open until you disconnect. For the black tank open the valve and start a long flush while you stow the campsite. Last thing before hitch is to disconnect sewer, fresh water hose and electrical for me. Works like a charm and sewer hose is pretty clean. If you must clean your sewer hose just elevate both ends and fill with water then dump it.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
I am not a fan of trying to get a FULL gray tank cause that is another step in getting on the road. My sewer hose is fine after I do a flush. How do you get a FULL gray tank? I assume you have to close the gray tank valve, either fill the tank or have someone take a shower? Coordination and risk of overfill of gray tank complicate things. Just leave gray tanks open until you disconnect.
Apparently you haven't seen this video (5 minutes...must watch the whole thing):

Old 08-26-2018, 10:10 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Apparently you haven't seen this video (5 minutes...must watch the whole thing):

Really not interested in a video. Been doing this for nearly 30 years. Not having any issues that I need to research.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
Really not interested in a video. Been doing this for nearly 30 years. Not having any issues that I need to research.
Somehow that's what I thought you would say...

Who cares about doing something right as long as you can get away with it...right?

You really should watch that video...it will open your eyes!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #33

Even the expert said "most of the scum" will exit with a full tank evacuation. How many "most's" does it take to equal the alternate approach of leaving the drain valve open? I have been leaving my gray drain valve open while camping since 2000 and have never had a tank issue including no issues with the tank level indices. When I do not have access to a sewer connection at a camp site I will typically pour in some tank additive. Now, the only thing that goes into my gray tank is in a liquid form (no solids).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Even the expert said "most of the scum" will exit with a full tank evacuation. How many "most's" does it take to equal the alternate approach of leaving the drain valve open? I have been leaving my gray drain valve open while camping since 2000 and have never had a tank issue including no issues with the tank level indices. When I do not have access to a sewer connection at a camp site I will typically pour in some tank additive. Now, the only thing that goes into my gray tank is in a liquid form (no solids).
If you do your dishes in your RV's kitchen sink...you are getting solids in there.

And don't discount what he says about the gasses from open tanks flowing out of the roof vents.

I smell that all the time and now I know where it comes from.

As for not having any "problems"...maybe you don't, but think about the RV parks septic systems not working correctly after several people leave their tanks open.

Not your problem...but their problem...and will most certainly be reflected in the nightly charge for their park!
Old 08-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

I would try a 72 hour soak with Unique's RV-DIGEST-IT (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X3PQN2...535312569&sr=1) or RID-X Septic tank treatment.

I would also remove the toilet and bag it. Take it outside the camper and power wash the space between the water trap and the spud.

It sounds like that area is packed with crap and is the source of the smell. Don't forget to order a replacement gasket between the floor spud and toilet.

After your tanks are clean and water runs clear; I would remove the OEM probes and replace them with Valterra black tank probes (https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T213...70_&dpSrc=srch)

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I would try a 72 hour soak with Unique's RV-DIGEST-IT (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X3PQN2...535312569&sr=1) or RID-X Septic tank treatment.

I would also remove the toilet and bag it. Take it outside the camper and power wash the space between the water trap and the spud.

It sounds like that area is packed with crap and is the source of the smell. Don't forget to order a replacement gasket between the floor spud and toilet.

After your tanks are clean and water runs clear; I would remove the OEM probes and replace them with Valterra black tank probes (https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T213...70_&dpSrc=srch)

Putting on Horst probes is best thing I've ever done for my camper.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #37

Dump in a bag of ice and take it for a ride. Or to your next destination.
Barisad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:57 PM   #38

Well don't tell anyone but I'll pre a 1/2 gal of bleach in mine in a split second. That a a healthy shot of dawn. Don't have many problems except the guages
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #39

I had an issue when we overfilled our black tank last year during the hurricane Irma evacuation. Tried filling it up with fresh water a couple of times, put copious amounts of chemicals etc. kept having problems until I bought this : Valterra A01-0184VP Master Blaster Tank Wand with Power Nozzle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYDO..._u-iIBbPW9ZMKW
I also bought the hose that connects to my bathroom faucet so I didn’t have to bring in an outside hose. I used the master blaster all around the top of the tank where it connects to the toilet. Did this several times, dumped the tank. Worked like a charm.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #40

Add a 10 lb bag of ice w a gallon of water, 2 cups borax and 2 cups calgon. Drive around for 30 mins. This usually clears my sensors and tank. Repeat if needed. Good luck!
mmmartin33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank