Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #1

Help! Black Tank issues.

So we are on a 30 day trip. During the first week we invite a guest who ends up with a stomach bug. The tank gets totally full at one point such that even after draining the gauge doesn’t work and the black flush is CLOGGED. I fill the tank with water from the top, let it soak and then drain. All seems better. Only issue is that the gauge still read one third and it still STINKS. I’ve drained/filled many times, tried soap and calgon, used chem tabs etc. today, after a complete drain and rinse cycle we take a 2 hour drive and it stinks to heck. Plus when we pull in there is brown water in the toilet. I have no idea what’s going on here. Any suggestions? HELP!!!!!
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
So we are on a 30 day trip. During the first week we invite a guest who ends up with a stomach bug. The tank gets totally full at one point such that even after draining the gauge doesn’t work and the black flush is CLOGGED. I fill the tank with water from the top, let it soak and then drain. All seems better. Only issue is that the gauge still read one third and it still STINKS. I’ve drained/filled many times, tried soap and calgon, used chem tabs etc. today, after a complete drain and rinse cycle we take a 2 hour drive and it stinks to heck. Plus when we pull in there is brown water in the toilet. I have no idea what’s going on here. Any suggestions? HELP!!!!!
Have you opened the drain valve and flushed it for a long time? I would flush it for an hour or more. The only thing I can think of is maybe you have a build up of solids or maybe the drain pipe under the RV is fully or partially blocked. Do you have a clear elbow or something on your hose so you can see what is coming out? Can you see down in your toilet into the tank?

When I have issues with my black tank I used to (can't see into tank from toilet in this RV) look into the toilet to see what is in there taking care not to drop the flashlight in there. If it is really bad I would take a hose with or without a flush wand and fill the tank partially then dump. Repeat this several times and it normally clears it out. If not full your tank about half full and drive around a little. Quick turns back and forth and on the gas then brake to get things sloshing around. If you go on a camping trip leave it partially full for the drive. In any method it is important to have a clear connection in the sewer hose somewhere so you can see what is coming out.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
llr

The gauges are notoriously inaccurate and can't really be trusted.
If you are getting brown water in the toilet your tank must be over full and the toilet seal must be leaking.
Use a clear 45° fitting on the sewer discharge and what do you see when draining the black tank?
How long have you been using RV holding tanks?
It seems odd to me that a stomach bug caused the issues. It is generally too many solids that cause issues.
Prior TT 2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS Classic Ultra lite - SOLD 5/21
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #4

Keep filling fully and fully drain from outside.
Only time and a lot of full tanks of water will get it cleaned out.

Don't worry about the gauges yet. You need to get the paper and stuff out first.
You may have to fill it up and drive to your next campground as it seems it needs to move the water around and get the toilet paper broken up an loose.

Did you use RV toilet paper or regular house toilet paper?

You will get it cleaned out soon.

Good luck
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #5

So the weird part is the fact that I drained the tank but still got a little bit of brown fluid in the bowl after a drive. Prior to the last drive I filled the tank by closing the drain and running the flush. I watched down the neck of the toilet until water came to top of the tank. I let it sit for a couple hours and then drained and flushed again. I saw clear water coming out.
I will try the half tank drive for sure. Any chance the tank overfilled during the guest stay and fluid is trapped somewhere above the tank and in the toilet itself?
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #6

Buy a $20 endoscope on Amazon and look into the tank to see what's really happening.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #7

Open the toilet trap door and look.
Use flashlight.
Below the flapper is a large space which is part of the toilet that may have stuff.
Get a hose and open flapper and wash that area out if you still smell and/or see stuff.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
I will try the half tank drive for sure. Any chance the tank overfilled during the guest stay and fluid is trapped somewhere above the tank and in the toilet itself?
Do the drive with a good dose of Dawn dish soap and Calgon or Borax. If it is really bad, one time only, I might add a cup or two of bleach. If at all possible, don't dump that in a campground.
I would doubt you are getting water coming back up in the toilet. Is the water OK from other fixtures? Wondering if you have some heavy iron content water...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
Coach

Quote:
So the weird part is the fact that I drained the tank but still got a little bit of brown fluid in the bowl after a drive. Prior to the last drive I filled the tank by closing the drain and running the flush. I watched down the neck of the toilet until water came to top of the tank. I let it sit for a couple hours and then drained and flushed again. I saw clear water coming out.
Not really sure what would be causing that brown water issue unless your toilet is not directly over the tank and you have a clog in the line that is trapping water in the line. For us, we try to make a habit of leaving with black tanks 1/3 to 1/2 full of "clear" water treated with dawn and Calgon. That way it can slosh around to the next destination. Leave it there til near full then drain/flush.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #10

Once the tank is holding and draining satisfactory. I recommend using a holding tank deodorant when in use as there is good reason for black tank odor based on the material they hold. And odors can be even worse in hot weather. And to help clean the tank in storage and keep everything working, I recommend using an enzyme-based holding tank chemical to break down the waste and liquify until the unit comes out of storage. The other benefit, enzymes will help destroy holding tank odors.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I use my gray tank water to back flush into the black tank.

This loosens up anything that might be stuck to the bottom of the tank or clogging the black drain.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #12

If the black tank was overfilled at one point, there is a good chance that the vent pipe is plugged and not allowing the black tank to fully drain and breathe.
That would add to the smelly problem.
Flush the vent pipe from the roof of the RV and try to drain your tanks again.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #13

I had that problem with an older camper and I bought a couple of bags of ice and threw it into the tank and drove around......it seemed to help break some of the big stuff up
soonerfan1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:01 AM   #14

Also another trick is fill tank half to 3/4 full, water, I put in water treatment. dump a bag of ice, 20 # BAG. Take a nice ride. We did this on a 33 mile windy road. I have been using this tank treatment from day one of purchasing this MH. It was very smelly from previous owner. Little to no more smell and gauge seems to be a little more dependable.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #15

The brown water in the bowl could be 'deposits' left behind clogged up in the rubber seal. Take a hose on very low setting and while holding open the flush, spray all around that rubber seal.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:27 AM   #16

Old Timer Trick

The sensors only work for a month or so then get covered in poo and you are done. Mine will start to burp when I flush when it is near getting full.

A trick I was given was to put 10 gallons or so in the tank before your next drive and add 10 pounds of ice. Drive and the ice will smash things around and really help to clean off the walls that have encrusted (or whatever) "stuff' on them. And also try the sensor cleaner. A clear Gate valve with the hose adapters are very helpful for clogs at the valve area and yes, hooking up the hose to the gate valve for a very long will clear it but it can take an hour. The clear part lets you see what is going on. or going down

Also I used a "bladder" type (balloon) that hooks up to a hose and swells to fit pipe and blasts to clog if it is before the tank. $20 ish at lowes. My tank got full and then clogged at the top due to back up and this bladder worked when a snake did no good.
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984fireball View Post
Also I used a "bladder" type (balloon) that hooks up to a hose and swells to fit pipe and blasts to clog if it is before the tank. $20 ish at lowes. My tank got full and then clogged at the top due to back up and this bladder worked when a snake did no good.
Much easier would be to try my suggestion of using the gray water to back flush into the black tank.

I was taught that trick back in the 70's and it works.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Much easier would be to try my suggestion of using the gray water to back flush into the black tank.

Why. Cross contamination. That's no trick.
Then you have to flush the gray water tank out a few times.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #19

Quote:

What you should have been taught is to dump the grey water last to cleanout the sewer hose with black tank valve closed. What you were taught is not a procedure trick it was someone playing a trick. JMO
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:

Hummm
Attached Images

Tags
black, black tank, tank