Old 08-14-2015, 11:01 PM   #1

Unhappy HELP!! Low points on older Gerogetown.

Well here goes, yes we are newbies, got our "New" 1998 Georgetown 320 about a week ago. I know it is the middle of Summer but I live in Eastern Oregon and it will get cold here in Winter, I have looked and looked and can not find the low point drains. I have the Generic (read just better than useless) Forest River "Motorized" owners manual (without one picture of anything) and it states "NOTE: LOW POINT DRAINS are located in the water lines... Each point where drains are located is indicated by a label on the inside of the lower cabinet door...". My wife and I have looked in every compartment inside and out and don't find it if you have a good idea please post it thanks a million.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:37 PM   #2

pretend it doesnt have any. learn to winterize with antifreeze or a blow out plug and never count on low point drains to do the job.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #3

Ours is a 2004 so I don't know how much difference there was in the 5 years., but.... Ours has the fresh water tank just over the propane tank and right in front of the passenger side duals. The fresh water and low point drains are all located at the back side of the hatch, immediately in front of the wheels.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:37 AM   #4

Thanks guys, yea Crockett I plan to use air to blow out lines but want to avoid running the pump to empty entire potable water tank whenever I winterize or sanitize, will just put antifreeze in the P traps and holding tanks. Thank you coupevillefish, my propane is on driver's side water tank is under rear bedroom bed. I would expect the fresh water fills and the low point drains to be in the same wet compartment but no joy.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:58 AM   #5
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnward View Post
Thanks guys, yea Crockett I plan to use air to blow out lines but want to avoid running the pump to empty entire potable water tank whenever I winterize or sanitize, will just put antifreeze in the P traps and holding tanks.
You still need to confirm that there are in fact no low point drains. If no, great! If there are low points, hidden somewhere, blowing the plumbing will not always remove the H2O residing in those drains. I know this from practice and it's especially critical in our instance due the near six months of freezing hell we endure every year.
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Anacortesians

I thought I'd replied earlier, but it hasn't shown up.

We had an 02 GT325, which I expect was similar to yours (sold it last winter). I used the compressed air method, putting about 25 psi into the city water connection. First off, I drained the water heater through the anode rod hole. I figured a pint or so left in the 6-gallon tank wouldn't hurt anything if it froze. I set the bypass for the WH, then turned the compressor on. I went round opening all the faucets, including the outside shower until they were all blowing air. I then flushed the toilet so it didn't get any residual water. When all water was out, I shut off the compressor, closed the faucets and added about a half-pint of the pink antifreeze into each drain. I unhooked the outside shower at its connection.

The last job was to empty the drinking water tank. On our rig, that was in a cupboard under the wardrobe. It had its own drain valve and drained out under the back bumper.

Our winters out on the coast of northern WA aren't as harsh as yours, but I'm sure this method will work for you.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #7

Hi Frank, your method sounds solid, so far the only difference would be finding the drinking water tank drain, I will keep looking but if need be i can use the pump and outside shower. Thanks.

"No matter where you go there you are"
1998 FR Georgetown 320 GM 454 Banks Power Pack. 1998 RAV4 toad.
bnward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #8

I would grab a flashlight and crawl under the thing and look everywhere between the two bumpers.

For the year of your unit the tubes may be white, all low point over flow and drain tubes on mine are.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

Thanks Ford Idaho, flashlight it is. I will post findings.

"No matter where you go there you are"
1998 FR Georgetown 320 GM 454 Banks Power Pack. 1998 RAV4 toad.
bnward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 PM   #10

An added winterizing point: In January, we took delivery of a 2015 Georgetown. I winterized it immediately. Guess what I forgot...the residential refrigerator water filter. Yep, it froze and shattered like glass. So, when we hooked up the water in the spring, it went everywhere. Who would have ever thought of this one? Recommend adding it to your winterization list. Just push in to remove it and then drain it leaving it out for the winter.