Old 10-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #1

Help! Need to Winterize my Fridge

First of all, it's a residential fridge with water and ice.

For the water side there is a filter and I don't think I want to ruin it by feeding pink stuff through it. If I remove it then the water doesn't flow and I don't have some sort of gizmo to bypass it.

For the ice side there is no way to activate it to make the pink stuff flow.

The GT manual doesn't cover this type of fridge. The Frigidaire instruction manual does not cover wintering it.

I've winterized the entire coach for the exception of the fridge. For now, I have set the heater on so nothing is damaged within the fridge.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Grape Escape

Ran antifreeze thru the ice maker as if I were making cubes. Took a while.
Read you can disconnect water line to ice maker and blow it out gently with compressed air as well

44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

The fridge is bolted in pretty good and can't get to the back of it. The tap to the fridge is below the sink. I think I'm going to disconnect the water tube that goes to the fridge and gently blow air up through the fridge while pressing on the water dispenser to get all the water out. For the ice maker, I'm guessing that once power is on and there is no ice, it will open the solenoid to let water in and then blow air through.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

This may not be your residential unit but the one I have in my 2012 is a Dometic.
So this is just an example.
I would open the access outside and remove the clear tubes from the valves control. You then let the water drain out by pressing the water filler plate where you push the glass to fill. The water will drain out of all the tube in a few minutes.
Oh make sure the white water valve is shutoff just to your left. You will also need to remove the water from the ice tray as it can't drain out if you have water in it.
I would never use antifreeze in these lines as it will take a long long time to clear in the spring. If you have a small air compressor works great to remove water from lines, tubes and especially the blue control valve as that damages easily.
I added a few pictures of the water valve as well as a broken control valve that someone else forgot to drain in the winter. You will see the blue plastic piece that froze.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 020.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	41820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	41821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	41822  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
This may not be your residential unit but the one I have in my 2012 is a Dometic.
So this is just an example.
I would open the access outside and remove the clear tubes from the valves control. You then let the water drain out by pressing the water filler plate where you push the glass to fill. The water will drain out of all the tube in a few minutes.
Oh make sure the white water valve is shutoff just to your left. You will also need to remove the water from the ice tray as it can't drain out if you have water in it.
I would never use antifreeze in these lines as it will take a long long time to clear in the spring. If you have a small air compressor works great to remove water from lines, tubes and especially the blue control valve as that damages easily.
I added a few pictures of the water valve as well as a broken control valve that someone else forgot to drain in the winter. You will see the blue plastic piece that froze.
Good luck
I wish I had an outside access door. Not sure how it's bolted in, but it's solid in there and won't budge to slide it out. Besides, if I could slide it out, it will be a task getting to the inside of it since they are not made to be serviced regularly such as the dometics. Here is the exact model I have.

Frigidaire Gallery 22.6 Cu. Ft. French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
I wish I had an outside access door. Not sure how it's bolted in, but it's solid in there and won't budge to slide it out. Besides, if I could slide it out, it will be a task getting to the inside of it since they are not made to be serviced regularly such as the dometics. Here is the exact model I have.

Frigidaire Gallery 22.6 Cu. Ft. French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator

Then I would suggest to find where the water line is going into it and use low pressure air only. The ice maker should be able to be removed by 2 screws and use a pan to catch the water. The in the door water would be easy by just putting a glass there and wait until you get air.
You can also may consider calling Forest River and ask them if they have any easier way or some secret access compartment to get at the water line.
Good Luck

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

Alparmmer -
We have the exact same coach, same year and model. We will be using our coach a lot between now and January, so I haven't had to deal with this yet, but when I do I plan to use compressed air (only about 25psi) to blow out all lines including the fridge. Good question on how to get water out of ice maker. Curious if you apply low pressure (won't take much at all) while turning on the ice maker so it opens and tries to fill, if that will clear the lines. As a rule we keep one of those oil filled heaters in the coach set to about 55 degrees as extra insurance.

This is a good example of the need for model-specific owner manuals, which to my knowledge, no manufacturers offer. As you've learned, there is nothing in your owner's manual that addresses this.

Good luck and report back here and let us know how you fared.

Thx,

Mike
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Then I would suggest to find where the water line is going into it and use low pressure air only. The ice maker should be able to be removed by 2 screws and use a pan to catch the water. The in the door water would be easy by just putting a glass there and wait until you get air.
You can also may consider calling Forest River and ask them if they have any easier way or some secret access compartment to get at the water line.
Good Luck
There is a nice and from the looks of it, an expensive water filter in the fridge that I don't want to ruin by running pinky through it. If you pop the filter out, water will not flow past the filter.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
Alparmmer -
We have the exact same coach, same year and model. We will be using our coach a lot between now and January, so I haven't had to deal with this yet, but when I do I plan to use compressed air (only about 25psi) to blow out all lines including the fridge. Good question on how to get water out of ice maker. Curious if you apply low pressure (won't take much at all) while turning on the ice maker so it opens and tries to fill, if that will clear the lines. As a rule we keep one of those oil filled heaters in the coach set to about 55 degrees as extra insurance.

This is a good example of the need for model-specific owner manuals, which to my knowledge, no manufacturers offer. As you've learned, there is nothing in your owner's manual that addresses this.

Good luck and report back here and let us know how you fared.

Thx,

Mike
Mike, we currently have the heater set at 60 to keep the inside from freezing. I think worse case scenario we'll leave the heater on all winter. It'll probably go through the whole tank, but it's better than to have to repair a busted line. Which oil filled heater do you use? That may be a better alternative.

Yes, it's very annoying that the manuals don't cover specifics. I think the idea is to force you to take it in for service.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #10

We use just one of those plain no frills vertical oil filled heaters but any thermostatically controlled electric heater should be fine

Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, winter, winterize