Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

Help please...Residential Frigidaire Refrigerator leaking from door

This is my first post to the forum but I have been reading & searching through them for the past month. I can't seem to find any discussion on this issue.
This is my husband & my first RV and it has been a saga from the beginning.
I apologize in advance for length of this post.
We put a down payment on a 2014 (New) Georgetown XL 334QS in October 2014. After going back & forth with the dealership about a number of issues that needed to be addressed we finally took delivery in mid-December 2014.
One of the major issues was that when we first looked at the unit at the RV show back lot where it was not plugged in; was that it had water leaking down the front of the Frigidaire refrigerator (down the front of the frig; freezer and onto the slick tile floors) from the in-door water & ice dispenser. But, after many conversations they told us they (RV techs at the dealership) couldn't find any problem.
We took it out for an 8 night trip. Three nights we were dry camping & the remainder of the nights we were hooked up. (We never turned on the icemaker or used the water door dispenser.)
When we came home we unloaded the frig & turned off the electricity in preparation to take it back to the dealership for a list of warranty issues. The next morning we drove it the 30 miles to dealership and the there was a big puddle of water on the floor and water running down the front of the frig & freezer! The service writer actually acknowledged the leaking but told us that RV techs 'do not' work on residential frigs. Even though they (the RV techs) assured us previously that they had looked it over and couldn't find any problems.
It has been at the dealership over a week and Frigidaire finally authorized warranty work via an outside repair person. But it had to be at the dealership so the RV techs could pull out the frig for the repairman if necessary.
Now we get a call from the repairman that he didn't know why this was happening if we never turned on the icemaker or water. So he contacted Frigidaire tech support & they told him that it must be caused by a lack of continuous pressure in the lines...??
My husband isn't sure where we go from here.
Has anyone had a similar issue? It would seem with the number of residential frigs they are now installing that if the pressure issue was really the cause that numerous others would be having the same experience.
We understand that there are often a number of problems in the first year but this one is causing us major frustration and could possibly be dangerous with the water leaking onto very slick tile flooring.
Any information or advice would be so much appreciated!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #2

There is a separate water shutoff just for the fridge, you can try that. If you store it at the house or somewhere that you can plug it in, run the fridge and have the water pump on for a day then shut off and see where the water comes from, out the ice maker / water dispenser, leave the doors open. It could possibly be condensation in the fridge itself. The leak happens to me but it was because I forgot to empty the ice tray and the ice melted.
Maybe you can have this question mover to the Georgetown section and get more answers.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #3

Dumb question but did you check the ice maker after your trip? On mine as long as there is water from either source the ice maker will produce ice. On our Frigidaire if the red light is on the ice maker is off. If there is not a red light on ours will make ice. I have had ours leak from the front twice after I forgot to empty the ice after a trip.
The only other thing I can think of is a water line leaking to the ice maker and freezing until the power is turned off

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #4

My 3 door refer at home always fills the ice cube trays and freezes a tray of ice even with the ice maker turned off. When you shut off power, ice could melt and water could find it's way out.

Could frost be building up somewhere and melting?

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #5

Thank you all for your advice & ideas. We're on our way to to pick up the Motorhome & take a look at things you suggested. 😀

Tags
door, leak, refrigerator