Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2016, 06:38 AM   #1

HELP-SLIDE OUTS DON'T WORK on GeorgeTown?

So.. of course it happens in aftermath of Hurricane Matthew while waiting for electric power to come back on at home and 2013 Forest River Georgetown class A slideouts won't work and local Dealer repair shops are three weeks behind on appointments now. Levelers work when hooked to electrical outlet at campground and when running generator, but appears like no power to slide outs? Have pushed reset button underneath entrance steps and checked fuse. Not really sure if batteries are charged as local shops are closed, but should slide outs work if connected to campground electrical power even if batteries may not be fully charged? Thanks for any help.
FarGra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #2

Levelling should be done with the engine running. Slide outs should be operated with shore power or genny running. With that said, the slide outs should work if not connected to shore power and genny not running if the coach batteries are charged enough. With the engine not running hit the emergency start switch (ties the chassis batteries and coach batteries together) and see if the slides will work. If they do your coach batteries need charging.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #3

They should, but sometimes they do not work if the key is in the ignition. On my 335, the bedroom slide works with the key in but the living room slide doesn't. Shore power should make everything work as should the genny. Make sure the batteries are turned on as the converter doesn't have enough capacity to handle the motor current spikes. This, of course is all for electric slides like those on my 2015 335.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #4

On my 377 xl if the diver seat is to far back the slides will not work. This is to keep you from hitting the seat with the driver side slide.
revflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #5

On my G'town it is emergency brake on and engine on for levelers
and
Engine off and plugged in OR generatory running for slides.
Slides will not work on battery alone.
Since you say "slideouts" I'm assuming it is a system problem rather than a slide problem.
Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
On my G'town it is emergency brake on and engine on for levelers
and
Engine off and plugged in OR generatory running for slides.
Slides will not work on battery alone.
Since you say "slideouts" I'm assuming it is a system problem rather than a slide problem.
Good luck!
Our 364 works on Power, Gen or battery
Old 10-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
JBP

I was always told never to operate slides without gen or engine running. Battery power is not always reliable enough to make sure that you don't have to stop midway in or out.
Last coach would not operate slides or leveling jacks without the engine running and the emergency brake set. Have not picked up my Gtown yet so don't know the systems.
FarGra Good luck.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The 364s come with 4 6V batteries and have more than enough power in reserve to push the slides out on battery alone.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
I was always told never to operate slides without gen or engine running. Battery power is not always reliable enough to make sure that you don't have to stop midway in or out.
Last coach would not operate slides or leveling jacks without the engine running and the emergency brake set. Have not picked up my Gtown yet so don't know the systems.
FarGra Good luck.
Well when you do pick it up you will find out very quickly that there is a lockout that prevents the slides from operating with the ignition switch on (engine running). The slides will operate as long as there is sufficient 12 volt power available (shore power/battery only/genny) on the coach without the engine running. The genny should be running or shore power should be connected providing converter power in case the batteries are low. Same for the levelers if the parking brake is set. However; the manual does point out that the engine should be running and parking brake set when deploying the levelers.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:56 AM   #10

Check under the entry step for the red flag breaker in the upper left side. If it's tripped no D.C. Works. The fuse is inside the black box along side the red D.C. Flag breaker.
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:17 AM   #11

Slide out interlock

In the paperwork to my Georgetown 378 it says the engine has to be running and and the parking brake must be engaged to deploy the leveler jacks. I forgot the brake once and got an alert to set the brake.
And the slides don't work with the engine running. I found out the hard way about the slideout interlock system when I got to CA this summer and the slides wouldn't open. I talked to local repair shops & they couldn't help neither could the dealership back home. When we got home and took the rig to the dealer they got serious and found out what the problem was. A fuse (15 amp) located in the "Battery Control Center" (under the entry steps) that controls the slideout/ignition lockout function was blown. When there is power to the circuit it thinks the ignition is off and allows the slideouts to work. When the fuse is blown allowing no current through the circuit it thinks the ignition is on and doesn't let the slideouts work. It turns out that this knowledge costs $65. This RV lesson was relatively inexpensive although it hacks me off that I had to pay for the lesson so the service staff could learn it too. The cause of the blown fuse was holding a slideout switch down too long. Hope this helps.
Radarman 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #12
JBP

It helps me a lot. This is just the opposite of my last coach (Winnebago). Brake set, engineer running or slides and leveling jacks would not work. Also nice to know were fuses are located.
Blue ox and Brake buddy
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #13

Slideouts now work!

Thanks to all who contributed with assisting when slideouts didn't work. Definitely good to have someone to discuss frustrating situations with. Well, after the wind stopped blowing and businesses opened back up was able to have batteries tested (they were o.k.) and the wise owner of Bishop RV storage area in New Smyrna Beach checked the fuses with his tester and a 15 amp and 5 amp were blown. MAGIC - slide outs worked! Immediately went to local auto part store and purchased a $7 fuse tester and now will carry extra fuses in coach. Learn something new every day, just wish it didn't have to be during a Hurricane but comforting to have others to discuss situation with.
FarGra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarGra View Post
Thanks to all who contributed with assisting when slideouts didn't work. Definitely good to have someone to discuss frustrating situations with. Well, after the wind stopped blowing and businesses opened back up was able to have batteries tested (they were o.k.) and the wise owner of Bishop RV storage area in New Smyrna Beach checked the fuses with his tester and a 15 amp and 5 amp were blown. MAGIC - slide outs worked! Immediately went to local auto part store and purchased a $7 fuse tester and now will carry extra fuses in coach. Learn something new every day, just wish it didn't have to be during a Hurricane but comforting to have others to discuss situation with.
Glad to see you are up and running.

Thank you for posting what the issue was and congratulations on the new tool for your unit.

Tags
georgetown, slide, slide out