Old 01-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

Help with electrical problems please

Tried to go into the coach (2008 373) after about a month had passed. Coach was plugged into 50 amp service the whole time. The last two weeks we were out of town on vacation, so I don't know about any storm etc (it's in FL)

First clue was the steps wouldn't extend when the door was opened. Here's the situation:

12 volt lights and 110v circuits work while the 50 amp service is connected but no steps. Nothing will work with the 50 amp disconnected.

The engine compartment battery is also dead as a door-nail.

This is the first time we have had any problem leaving the coach plugged in, but it seems now that the batteries did not charge, and actually drained during this last period.

We did have one incident on our last camping trip that seemed to be a transfer switch problem. On the road with the generator running, none of the 110v circuits worked. Then later when we stopped for the night, the generator worked fine.

Any ideas? Also, would the house batteries being drained cause the engine battery to drain too? I thought they were separate unless the battery boost switch was engaged.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #2

rxfiller; Tried to go into the coach (2008 373) after about a month had passed. Coach was plugged into 50 amp service the whole time. The last two weeks we were out of town on vacation, so I don't know about any storm etc (it's in FL)

First clue was the steps wouldn't extend when the door was opened. Here's the situation:

This would mean your coach batteries are dead or you left the battery disconnect switch off while away.

12 volt lights and 110v circuits work while the 50 amp service is connected but no steps. Nothing will work with the 50 amp disconnected.

Now this is different from above. This means you may be getting battery charging 12 volt to everything but steps which get its power directly from the coach batteries.

The engine compartment battery is also dead as a door-nail.

Not sure if this related to above, so I have no idea other than you left something on that is battery powered.

This is the first time we have had any problem leaving the coach plugged in, but it seems now that the batteries did not charge, and actually drained during this last period.

Have you checked to see if the coach batteries were being charged now?

We did have one incident on our last camping trip that seemed to be a transfer switch problem. On the road with the generator running, none of the 110v circuits worked. Then later when we stopped for the night, the generator worked fine.

This could be a problem that would stop all shore power phases into coach. Can you see if the battery charger is working at all?

Any ideas? Also, would the house batteries being drained cause the engine battery to drain too? I thought they were separate unless the battery boost switch was engaged.

Now with all this information what I would do is this.

1. Make sure your 100 amp DC breaker under the steps is not tripped.
This would stop all power to the Power station box and will stop all batteries from being charged at all.

2. While plugged into shore power I would check with a volt meter that voltage of the coach batteries. This will prove that the charger is working. You should get 13.4 Volt on fully charged batteries.

3. I would also check that transfer switch a few times as if it only works now and then you may need to have someone qualified to check all connections to make sure they are not loose or burnt and to see if the contacts are burnt and/or the coil that transfers the power from generator to shore power. This is all in the same box where the power cable is located.

Here is a picture of my 100 amp DC breaker looks like.
It is located to the left of the main power box.
Yours may be different.
The red button on it trips the breaker and the red arm to the left when out will reset it if you push the red bar in.

Hope this helps you a little and let us know what you find out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC 048.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	68201  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Iggy!

My coach has a 90 amp breaker where your 100 amp is. However, there is no red button or reset lever.

The coach batteries are only showing 1.5v across terminals both individually and across both together. That's while it's plugged into shore power, so either the charger's not working, or there is a breaker or fuse blown along the route somewhere.

I have a free standing charger on the engine battery, and so far that one is only showing 2.5v across the terminals......
Old 01-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

Have you checked the water level in the batteries?
The low voltage only means it has been totally drained for some reason.
It just may be you have a battery that has gone bad.
With your free standing charger see what it does over a day and let us know.
While this is being done I would check to see if your charger inside the motorhome is getting 120 volts AC and if it is then see if it has any 12 volt DC output.
Good luck.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #5
Carl & Karen

Iggy,

I was curious if you had an answer to rxfiller's last question?
Would the house batteries being drained cause the engine battery to drain too? I like rxfiller thought they were separate unless the battery boost switch was engaged.
Carl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #6

With leaving the coach plugged into shore power a lot, I often wonder about the built in charger. And with what seems to be a problem showing up with the transfer switch, this might be a good time to upgrade to a "smart" charger like the Progressive Dynamics 90 amp Converter & Dist Panel and a new transfer switch. PPL has what seems to be a great sale on the equipment right now.

Anybody using the Progressive Dynamics equipment? Opinions?
Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl22 View Post
Iggy,

I was curious if you had an answer to rxfiller's last question?
Would the house batteries being drained cause the engine battery to drain too? I like rxfiller thought they were separate unless the battery boost switch was engaged.
I really am not sure of the engine battery gets charged while plugged into shore power.
I thought like others the only time the two batteries will be hooked up to each other is when you have a dead engine battery and need help starting and you push the emergency button on drivers panel to help start engine.

If this holds true then it can not charge the engine battery also while plugged into shore power.

Next chance I get with my MH I will check this theory out and let you know.

Stay warm.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:46 AM   #8

On my 2011 300s the engine battery and coach batteries are all being charged when plugged into shore power. That being the case, I guess they are connected when being charged. I suppose this is not an issue so long as the charger is operating. I have never really checked, but I would think engine and chassis batteries are isolated when there is no shore power, generator, or engine running.
leomosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

House and chassis batteries charge on shore power on my 07 Georgetown.

Jaye(Mn)
Old 01-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #10

I have a 2012 378TS and I believe chassis and house batteries are charged when connected to shore power. I think the control is via the Battery Control Center panel and chassis has priority. This is what my dealers addendum owners manual indicates. Anyway, have never had a low or dead battery for either purpose after a few months in storage (winter or summer) with shore power input. Could be.

Tags
electric, electrical