Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #1

Help with extended warranty insurance

We are wanting to purchase an expended warranty policy for our 2008 Georgetown 373, but would like any recommendations or experience you might care to share with us. Is there a company that you would recommend?
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #2

I do not have any extended policy at this time, but can give you a lead. If you go to RV.net there has been many, ok, hundreds of threads on extended warranties. I personnaly think that put a couple of $$$$.00 away in the bank is the best policy. From what I have read there seems to be stages within policies that can effect your real coverage. Check out http://www.rv.net/forum/search engine.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #3

This thread recently went around on on the FMCA formus and the concensus is that you REALLY need to read all the fine print and pay close attention to the "exclusions". Many don't realize just how little some of the poicies will cover until it's too late. I myself do not have one. I am quite handy at fixing things so for my money it's just better to put the money I would pay in premiums into an "emergency" account earning interest (small though it is) for bigger repairs or problems on the road.

However with the right policy, many report being happy with their insurance programs. Be careful and do your research well. Google search the name of the company that provides the insurance.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #4

I have had 2 extended warranties from Canadian First. They cover all appliances etc for 4 years and if you don't make a claim you get your initial payment back less $200.00. I have allready cashed in my first policy and used the rebate to purchase a new one on our 2006 rockwood 2603.
Fireman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
This thread recently went around on on the FMCA formus and the concensus is that you REALLY need to read all the fine print and pay close attention to the "exclusions". Many don't realize just how little some of the poicies will cover until it's too late. I myself do not have one. I am quite handy at fixing things so for my money it's just better to put the money I would pay in premiums into an "emergency" account earning interest (small though it is) for bigger repairs or problems on the road.

However with the right policy, many report being happy with their insurance programs. Be careful and do your research well. Google search the name of the company that provides the insurance.
Ditto the above. I had an extended warranty on a car once and I brought it in for warranty work. The dealer had to keep the car overnight so I asked for a loaner car. The dealer charged the cost of the loaner car to the extended warranty with out my knowledge. When I went to take advantage of the refund for not using the extended warranty, I was told that it was used for the rental car fee. It took me over a year to get my money back.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #6

Extended Warranty

So what should I expect from the extended warranty, are they worth it?
Shaker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #7

We have the extended service warranty with First Extended Service ( 1.800.527.3426). I have only used it once to replace a jack that was out of warranty. I hope I never have to use it down the pike, but if I do, its piece of mind. Friends of ours have had to replace refrigerators and their extended warranty saved them a bundal. Yea their not cheap, but so are RV parts if you don't have it. These rigs are full of mechanical things that are designed, over the time, break. And you stuck with the cost.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have Good Sam CSP coverage for 7 years / 70,000 Miles. Thankfully we haven't needed to use it but knowing it's there in case we do is comforting. I know there are plenty of pluses and minuses involving insurance plans. Some feel that putting money aside to cover any problems may be fine for them. I have found that you end up using it for some other problem that needs attention then you're at square one if you have an issue with your RV. We have Good Sam ERS as well and have used it on a few occassions and they were extremely helpful.

http://www.goodsamesp.com/Default.as...6-96ae4b068b09

I'm only posting this link so you can read about the coverage. By the way Congrats on that Georgetown!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #9

Thank You

I really appreciate your advise .......... what are your thoughts on Satelite TV Systems? I am looking @ Kingdome right now ............... as well I see I will need to tow a car, how do you do that & do you recommend a certain vehicle. The brake system also looks like I need to have it for the towed unit. Your thoughts on these when you get a chance would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker11 View Post
I really appreciate your advise .......... what are your thoughts on Satelite TV Systems? I am looking @ Kingdome right now ............... as well I see I will need to tow a car, how do you do that & do you recommend a certain vehicle. The brake system also looks like I need to have it for the towed unit. Your thoughts on these when you get a chance would be appreciated.
We have Wingard's Movin' View Dome unfortunately no longer available. It works great and they do have other units. I'm sure King Dome is about the same. As for towing I flat tow a 2004 Grand Am. I have a Blue Ox towbar and bracket on the vehicle and Roadmaster's Brakemaster 9000 for braking. It's very easy to hook up when you're ready to go anywhere. I had the brake system installed by Camping World. As for the bracket on the car a friend of mine and I did that with the wiring harness for stop lights and blinkers.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/product...r/brake_m.html

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #11

Thanks

Does the cars odometer click when being towed?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker11 View Post
Does the cars odometer click when being towed?
No I have to pull 3 fuses and turn the key to accessory. The tranny is left in neutral.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #13

We have the king Dome (the smaller one) with the added antenna for HD. It works great. We have never had a problem with it. Our dealer also added the HDMI cable for HD reception. The only problem is trees and when I park, i always look at the trees to see if I am going to have a problem. When that happens, i whip out my spare antenna and set it up if I am going to be there for a while. We just subscribed to Direct TVs NBC, ABC, and CBS mobile so I can watch the stations when were away from home. That gives me the east and west coast channels, not the local ones.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #14

OK...to get back to the OPs topic of interest on extended warranties...

I did a fair amount of research on extended warranties. I do agree with the thought that its ideal to save your own money in a rainy day fund and hope that you'll not have to use it. But, statistics will prove 2 things: 1) Something costly will fail and require replacement/repair on your RV eventually, and 2) Most people are not self-disciplined enough to save the rainy day fund.

With that said, we opted to purchase the XtraRide Extended Warranty. I thought it was reasonably priced and did not have so much "fine print" as many others. One thing to look out for in choosing one is the requirement for maintenance history. Many of these warranty policies will not cover repairs unless "adequate" documentation can be provided proving that the part/system in question has been properly maintained. This puts alot of responsibility on the RV owner to collect receipts, paperwork, and ensure each and every component is serviced to the exact requirements of the OEM. I don't know about you, and I'm all for preventative maintenance and inspections, but camping should be fun, not a chore. If something brakes or fails and its obvious that it was not mistreated or not cared for, honor the policy, fix the darn thing, and lets get on with life...just my 2 cents.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote