Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Help with No Hot Water issue

- New 2012 Georgetown 351DS -
When I use the Fresh Water tank I have hot water but when I hookup to city water than both hot and cold valves have only cold water coming out. This is the case for Shower, both sinks and outside shower. (I did not touch any of the bypass valves and the dealer only demonstrated hot water without hooking up to city water.)

Please advice

Thanks

Michael
SurferDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferDude
When I use the Fresh Water tank I have hot water but when I hookup to city water than both hot and cold valves have only cold water coming out. This is the case for Shower, both sinks and outside shower. (I did not touch any of the bypass valves and the dealer only demonstrated hot water without hooking up to city water.)

Please advice

Thanks

Michael
Sounds like there's a bypass on the city connection ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferDude View Post

Please advice

Thanks

Michael
Michael welcome.
If you are getting hot water when using your water tank then you should get when hooked up to city water.
The hot water heater gets input water from both from a T fitting and no valves.

Can you explain how you got hot water the first time?
Were you using propane or electric for the hot water.
If you tried the second time maybe you are out of propane?
Have you checked the tank and guage?
Is your propane leak detector have a green light or something else?
Did you have your master battery power disconnected?

See diagram

Let us know a little more and maybe we can help.

Iggy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	19122  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Michael welcome.
If you are getting hot water when using your water tank then you should get when hooked up to city water.
The hot water heater gets input water from both from a T fitting and no valves.

Can you explain how you got hot water the first time?
Were you using propane or electric for the hot water.
If you tried the second time maybe you are out of propane?
Have you checked the tank and guage?
Is your propane leak detector have a green light or something else?
Did you have your master battery power disconnected?

See diagram

Let us know a little more and maybe we can help.

Iggy
Iggy is right on. There is more to this story, no doubt...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies.This past weekend was our very first trip with our new coach. So much nicer than our old '99 Rexhall.
So here are some more details:
I was parking front of my house loading up and doing the pre departure check:
The propain tank is full and the auto safety solonoid is flashing green. Fridge cools on Auto mode without shore power.

Fresh water tank is full. I turn on water pump and bleed water at the kitchen faucet. Turn on water heater switch, pilot light lit and the heater kicks in and stays on (blowing flames heating the tank). Hot water is working just as expected.

Drove to the campsite, hooked up to city water and shore power. Bleed water at the sink than turned on the water heater. The heater kicked in and stayed on for a while so I thought everything is normal but later I noticed that there was no hot water, only cold on both facets. It was 98 degrees outside and to be honest I did not care much at the time and was thinking I may just have to run it a bit longer to get hot water. After we got back home from our overnight trip, wifey reported that she had to wash dishes in cold water the night before and only than when I realized that we must not had hot water at all. While I did not have a chance to double check and now the rig is back in storage, I do recall the water heater to be on and blowing in the morning. Now, I'm just making an assumption that it would still work fine while NOT connected to city water but it's quite possible (or rather rational) that now it wouldn't work that way either.

Iggy, I don't think the dealer mentioned anything about this RV having an electric water heating option. I thought it works on propane only, no?

Michael
Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #6

It is possible that your hot water is mixing with cold. Two ways that could happen. Your outside shower may be on (faucets on but water not flowing because shower head is turned off) . Make sure the faucets are off. Second would be the bypass valves on the back of the water heater are not set right. Find the back of the heater on the inside of MH. Not sure where it is on yours -behind panel or access plate. There is a valve on the line going into and out of the heater. These should be open (parallel to the line) . There is a valve on a line between the in and out of the heater. This should be closed (perpendicular to the line) . If this valve is open, hot and cold water will mix and feel cold at all faucets. (By the way, reverse these settings to bypass the heater for winterizing.)

As for operating on electric, open the outside cover of the water heater. On the bottom left side there is a rocker switch. It is hard to see at first. Turning that switch on will use the electric element. It may have a cotter pin in it to prevent turning on accidentally. Remove and save the pin. If the element is turned on with no water in the tank it will be ruined almost immediately. Whenever you have drained the tank (like winterizing) lock the switch in the off position.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #7

Thanks Bill I will check on the bypass valve. It could explain the behavior as the colder city water with more pressure can have a bigger effect than the room temperature water from the tank using the pump.

I'll report back.

Michael
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #8

had the same problem. There are two by-pass valves that need to be in flow position. I have a 2012 350 Georgetown, and they are located under the coach threw the access cover. Once I did that, wife was happy!
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote