Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 05:34 PM   #1

Help with Propane shut off

I am unable to figure out how to turn on the propane on a 2003 Georgetown 346. I turn the valve nob to the on position ( counter clockwise) but i am not getting any propane. My mom told me that when her husband would turn it on he would go outside with some small tool to turn it on. I have looked all over around the propane tank and i cant figure it out. it has plenty of propane. The tank shows 3/4 full. I have even turned the purge valve just to make sure. Thanks in advanced for all the help.I honestly feel like an idiot for even asking.
Jamiegreen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Remove the line that exits the propane tank (turn it off first) and then see if you are getting propane from the tank..If you have propane there, check on the exit side of the regulator. Your tank may be empty or the regulator stuck.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #3

Every question is a good question. Don't feel bad about asking. That is the way we learn.

On our Georgetown 35 we also have an electrical switch located on the propane detector inside the MH. This energizes the solenoid allowing propane to pass inyo yher MH appliances.
I hope this helps.
jmacintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #4

Sorry for the thick finger syndrome. No!! I just didn't look at what I was trying to type.
jmacintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
A line slideouts

As far as trying to trouble shoot a gas problem you should take it to a good service department any time gas is involved for safety reasons! If you choose to DIY it please make sure that all switches for water heater furnace and refer are turned OFF to keep them from trying to ignite but it sounds like you lp regulator or lp detected have gone bad. PLEASE BECAREFUL !!!
Chuck692020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Make sure your house batteries are charged and your battery disconnect is "on" (meaning the coach has house power). Without house power, the safety valve will be left in the off position. An easy way to check is to touch the shiny silver end of the safety valve that is attached to the propane tank and it will be very warm (I would even say hot) to the touch. If not, then the safety valve is stopping the propane. A "hot" valve means it is open for propane to flow.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Make sure your house batteries are charged and your battery disconnect is "on" (meaning the coach has house power). Without house power, the safety valve will be left in the off position. An easy way to check is to touch the shiny silver end of the safety valve that is attached to the propane tank and it will be very warm (I would even say hot) to the touch. If not, then the safety valve is stopping the propane. A "hot" valve means it is open for propane to flow.
(I would even say hot)”
I would describe it as TOO hot to touch.

I almost had a nervous breakdown when I was trouble shooting a MAJOR propane leak.

I almost had THE BIG one when I found the leak.

We lost 2/3 of a tank on the way home (50 miles) from picking up our “NEW” motor home.
Whoever filled the tank forgot to tighten the hose.
Wouldn’t leak sitting still, but any vibration would send a plume of propane straight at the HOT valve.

ab