Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #1

Hidden compartment

I wanted to add a safe for our hand guns and money but didn't want to put it under the bed. There is a 12x12 inch panel in the right hanging closet in the bedroom that allows access to an unused compartment that is behind the hard mounted tv. I removed the panel and added some matching molding all the way around the panel, then added some hidden hinges and a hidden latch to make a door into this compartment. I the ordered a small safe that will fit in the compartment and bolted it down. Now I can use the safe then close the door and latch it and with clothes hanging in the closet you can not tell it is even there. I know that if someone really wanted it they could us a hammer or crowbar andd rip the door off and the. Work to pry the safe loose but it would require a lot of work and they would have to know it was there to even attempt to take it. About as safe as I can make it.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #2

Well after this post it's no longer a hidden compartment.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

My gun is never out of reach...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:33 AM   #4

Hopefully you did not install one of those cheap Chinese safes with a digital keypad (Harbor Freight, Amazon, Ebay, etc.). They use a spring loaded solenoid as part of the locking mechanism, and can be easily defeated. Simply striking the top of the safe or keypad area with your hand is enough to move the solenoid and open the safe.

I showed this method to a friend who had one of these safes. No tools needed. No sign of forced entry. He was not happy.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
Hopefully you did not install one of those cheap Chinese safes with a digital keypad (Harbor Freight, Amazon, Ebay, etc.). They use a spring loaded solenoid as part of the locking mechanism, and can be easily defeated. Simply striking the top of the safe or keypad area with your hand is enough to move the solenoid and open the safe.

I showed this method to a friend who had one of these safes. No tools needed. No sign of forced entry. He was not happy.

Wow, that was fun to watch! I'm glad I don't own one...
Old 02-24-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

Yea, after I posted this I thought the same thing, no longer hidden but then I thought I hope not too many of the people that read this forum are criminals. Lol. The safe I bought is not like the one in the Video.