Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Carl & Karen

High Generator Voltage

Here is one for all you electrical folks. Did some dry camping recently with my 2006 Georgetown SE 350. First morning I noticed my coffee pot did not finish brewing. My tv and all other electrical requirements seem to work fine. After getting home I tried coffee pot in house and it worked fine. I started my generator up, checked my voltages at all outlets and found they were at 155 volts AC???? I have checked various blogs on this site and other RV sites and each of them point toward a bad voltage regulator on my generator. Look forward to thoughts and replies from my fellow RVers. My generator is a Guardian RV by Generac PWR System 6500 watts.
Carl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

If you're getting a consistent reading then I wouldn't say it's faulty... most generacs have a regulator adjustment screw.. check your owners manual. Should be up on top and just make 1/2 turns at a time. You should be able to dial it in.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

From description voltage regulator is not responding, more like flat out. May damage loads connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Generator

Same thing happened to mine. Faulty governor. Had to remove generator; governor inside engine
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

I don't know if this applies to your particular model, but from their support board:

"there is a voltage adjustment screw on the main board - it's basically a dashpot. Look for a hole on the area of the outlets - mine was on the left side near the bottom. You can insert a small screwdriver and try adjusting while monitoring with your voltage meter."
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #6

Just gotta wonder if the screw is for tweaking a few percent/ not 30% adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, voltage