Old 07-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Shoot, I figured they would issue a "Suggested" Ticket.
OC: I agree with all your opinions about speeding. However, some of our N.C. Highway Patrol officers obviously do not. I read an interview with a patrolman who is retiring, and he said he never tickets anyone unless they are driving more than 15 mph over the limit. Ridiculous when the guys responsible for protecting us ALSO think the limit is just a suggestion.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #52
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
OC: I agree with all your opinions about speeding. However, some of our N.C. Highway Patrol officers obviously do not. I read an interview with a patrolman who is retiring, and he said he never tickets anyone unless they are driving more than 15 mph over the limit. Ridiculous when the guys responsible for protecting us ALSO think the limit is just a suggestion.
We had the same conversation with some state patrol in Iowa years ago and they replied, "The state gives them 5mph, we give them 5mph and they take 5mph, that's 15".

Old 07-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #53
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Only ttime a speed limit is suggested is when the sign is yellow.

To answer op.
Unless the sign says rv then use highest posted limit.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #54
NELA

While I can't swear it's still true today, for YEARS the worst state here in the south re speeding tickets was Mississippi. Those highway boys don't play. And for years down here if you "knew somebody" you could get tickets "fixed" in many states...NOT Mississippi!

There was no blurring of the numbers with them; if the speed limit posted was 55, you'd best go 53 just to be safe.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
By general observation, and not any kind of scientific method, I've estimated around here that the general flow of traffic is 10% over the speed limit per the number of lanes in the direction of travel.

So, 4 lane highway, 2 going in one direction, speed limit of 100 kph, you'll find that most people are doing around 120. 4 lane city street, 2 in direction of travel, speed limit 60 kph, people are doing about 72. One way road, single lane of travel, speed limit 40 kph, people are doing about 44....

This percentage approach seems to work at lot better at predicting whether or not the police will bother ticketing. Doing 20 over in a 100 is a big difference to doing 20 over in a 40.

I don't do those speeds myself, I'm often well under the limit when towing, but as a general observation it seems to hold true.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #56
Wildland Firefighter

No.... Your GT is not a commercial vehicle. You can go 65 with no worries. I've done 65 in a 65 zone and been passed by many CHP. I also was doing 70 in a 70 zone and had a Honda following behind me, move around me and cut me off to get in front of me, and HE was quickly pulled over by CHP. I think you'll be fine. Of course you could go by a CHP office and ask them.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #57
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I did a ride along with an officer in the Twin Cities a couple years ago. We were doing the radar patrol on the freeway and only pulling over the 15+. Their were plenty of them doing 10 over but it's like fishing, wait for the big one he'll come along then snag him. Then there's section in Michigan on I 75, 2 mph over is speeding and ticketed. My opinion is to stay with the flow and don't stand out of the crowd.
2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #58

Highway Speed Limit

I used to be a traffic patrol (highway patrol) officer in the UK. Our guidelines were to not issue tickets unless the speed limit was exceeded by at least 10% + 2mph. For example, a speed limit of 60mph, no ticket for anything under 68mph. This was to allow for any discrepancies with the vehicle speedometer. The speedo on my patrol car/bike was calibrated and checked monthly.

There was a single, fixed penalty for speeding tickets of £50 and three penalty points on you license. If I caught you driving significantly over the speed limit, say 95mph on a three lane motorway that has a 70mph speed limit, I would write a 'process book'. This meant you would be attending court and would probably get a much bigger fine, more points or even be disqualified for a period of time.

If you got a ticket for speeding I could take your license there and then. A portion of the ticket was filled in to indicate this and it then became your temporary license until your real license was mailed back with the points added. You could pay the ticket within 28 days or elect to attend court and contest the evidence.

Contrary to popular belief I wasn't restricted by quotas to meet each month. I was free to write as many tickets as I wanted and as many as required to keep drivers within the law.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
With a F350 dually
2014 26 nights and 3120km

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I figure if we're draggin' Buffy we ain't got no business doin' more than about 62MPH anyway.

I think there was a conspiracy when the newer Ford instrument panels were designed. It's VERY difficult for the "nagivator" (that'd be me) to see the speed limit from the right seat.
Don't know what they have now my TV is 10 years old, but my GPS Garmin gives the posted speed and the speed I'm going on the screen. If I'm over the posted, the speed turns red to let you know.

It is pretty accurate with the posted speeds when the sign will say 65 and then drop to 55 at that sign my GPS will to. Don't know how they do that but it works pretty good, might miss a couple but over average it pretty high up there. Even works like that in Town or city's.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #60
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I used the british voice and thought the Queen was Talking!
Be careful! Before long she'll have you driving on the wrong side of the road.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote