Old 07-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #11

Idaho tote

Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybear View Post
I have an 06 Georgetown XL 359 with a Curt mfg 5k weight carrying 500 lb tongue weight hitch. It does have the welded on extensions on it. What is the problems with the extensions other than most likely bad weld job and thin cheap metal used?
Aside from the bad weld potential...the engineer at Ford told me the extensions create a lever arm effect that dynamically puts a LOT more load on the toungue than the chassis is designed for...in other words...500 lbs 4 feet further out from the rear wheels is a LOT more weight when in motion...and might damage the frame or cause handling problems...in any case...any problems would not be coverered under the warranty.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #13

We did all the products to carry our Spyder RT. hydra lift told us it would not sell it to us due to the F53 chassis cracking due to stress on frame. Another manufacturer told us the same news again. There was one that told us not to hang a spyder off the back RV not heavy enough for weight hanging on rear end of RV. Said if we had an diesel they would allow the purchase and install. We ended up having a custom enclosed
trailer built for the spyder
Old 10-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #14

I want to carry two small m/c on back of Sunseeker 2500. Any one have experience with this? Carrier? Motorcycle/scooter?
Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbob View Post
I want to carry two small m/c on back of Sunseeker 2500. Any one have experience with this? Carrier? Motorcycle/scooter?
Well...even 50cc mopeds are gonna weigh in close to 200 lbs so you are talking minimum 500 lbs of tongue weight counting the rack. So if you have a class 3 hitch you can handle THAT much tongue weight on the hitch...but that is no guarantee that the frame can handle that...if there are welded on extensions to the frame to support the length...then likely it is not safe to carry that much weight dynamically levering the end of your frame. If no welds...then the question becomes do you have enough CCC to add another 500 lbs AND is your rear axle load (weight) ok with another 500lbs.
VersaHaul makes quality 2 bike racks. Check spacing between rails vs. whatever models you are buying to insure there is enough spacing. JoeHauler.com fabricated mine to custom measurements when the stock VersaHaul models didn't fit.
In the 50cc scooter world you can get lots of disposable models from mainland China for around 1k... but if you want better quality & reliability, then I'd suggest either the Genuine Buddy or the Kymco Like50. Both of these models have long reputations and good service availability and also come in larger displacements up to 170cc.
Motorbikes are outside my knowledge so I'll let others comment on those.
BTW...I notice a rear bedroom slide on some Sunseekers so consider clearance with bikes mounted if you have a rear slide...You definitely do not want to have to unload the scoots every time you stop!
Good luck with it all.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #16

I have a mightylift and love it. I think it is at mightylift.com
I have a single point hitch and mounted a frame on the top of the RV
to control sway. It works very well and I can load a bike in a couple of minutes. There is also a three point hitch available and a car can be towed behind it if the three point hitch is used.
The hitch needs to be modified to carry 1000# and extra support may have to be welded on the frame to be sure it is safe to put the weight on the hitch. My RV handles fine with it and I have used it many times
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160508_131817.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	155088  

Tags
hitch, mount