Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #1

Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier

I'm a recent owner of a 2015 310DS, and due to generator and awning 'issues' I haven't seen my RV in about a month ... most of that I didn't really 'need' it ... but, that isn't what this thread is about ...

Does anyone have any experience with Hitch Mounted Carriers, specifically for motorcycles. I'm shopping for a trailer that I could carry a couple of bikes, one of which is my wife's Spyder, so a bit unique ... but in the interim I was wondering if I could at least carry one bike with a hitch mount??? The particular one I'm looking at is rated up to 600# and realizing, I think, the hitch is only rated to 500# ... anyway, looking at this less expensive alternative prior to getting a bike trailer ... anyone????

Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #2

Look up a very recent thread on the inquiry you raise.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #3

I was afraid my inexperience with searching in the forum, I would overlook something ... however, even when I click the tags I'm not finding anything about hitch motorcycle carriers ... perhaps pasting the website with the "Hitch Mount" will help?

Hitch Mounted Steel Motorcycle Carrier | MCC-600 | DiscountRamps.com
Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #4

Typed this "forest river hitch mount motorcycle carrier"

Found this; Hitch mount motorcycle carrier

Advice; type the words in your search criteria, that will give you the result of the question you seek. Just sayin'
Old 07-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

I use the MotoTote to carry my 2013 CBR250. I also ordered a separate anti-rocking collar that clamps down on the receiver. I'm very pleased with the whole setup and have traveled all over the country with no problems. It's rock solid with no side to side rocking. Of course, the little CBR is only about 330lbs. I would not go too much heavier as you may exceed the tongue weight of the hitch, and it can get difficult to push the bike up the ramp. If you have questions, or need more specific info, send me a PM...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	84539  
Old 07-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #6

I have used the hitch mount to carry a dual sport bike. The only problem was that you had to be really careful loading and unloading as there wasn't a lot of clearance for the bars. The bike was just over 300 pounds.

My concern in going much heavier would be that the bumper would twist. One good sized pot hole and a hard bounce could cause a problem. I am assuming that you have the normal hollow square tube bumper.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #7

Try Hydralift Motorcycle Lifts | The Art of Lifting
Old 07-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

Hydrlift can't be installed on a G'tpwn.... the ONLY way to carry a 600lb cycle on the end of a Gtown hitch is to upgrade the hitch to a class 4 which is capable of 1000lb tongue weight. I carry TWO scooters and a double rack which in total are 620 lbs on my 280DS ... but I had to upgrade the hitch. The other caution is that if YOUR coach chassis had welded on extensions from FR...then you can't do it without significant risk.
Fortunately my 280 does not have extensions. New hitch installed by professional hitch guys cutting off old one and welding new one was about $400 as I recall. Used JoeHauler.com for the carrier...excellent guy to work with but Versahaul also makes good standard ones.
BTW...I've got bout 7k miles carrying them...no issues.

If you can't put on a heavier hitch...then the swivel wheel extender might be something you'd be interested in. The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

I bought a similar carrier but was concerned about twisting under the weight of my Honda Shadow (550#). Anyway I took it to a fabricator and had two more receivers welded to my motorhome frame and to the carrier. It was then supported in three places. Rock solid.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #10

I have an 06 Georgetown XL 359 with a Curt mfg 5k weight carrying 500 lb tongue weight hitch. It does have the welded on extensions on it. What is the problems with the extensions other than most likely bad weld job and thin cheap metal used?

Tags
hitch, mount