Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #1

Home Theater Sub Problem

We just picked up our new baby (2014 351DS) and we love it. On our way home from the dealer we noticed the first problem. While listening to music, everything sounds great and all of the sudden the bass is gone and just the 4 ceiling speakers work. Had to drive like that the entire trip home. I tried cycling power on the radio, but the sub woofer on the passenger side never came on. After shutting down the coach and restarting, the sub started working again. The settings on the radio were (volume 10 - 15) and (-2 bass) and (6 treble).

From experience, it sounds like the sub amp is cutting out due to overheating or overloaded. I guess after turning all power off it resets. There must be something wrong because the bass is turned down to -2. I tried to +2 bass and it cut off even quicker. I'd hate to have to take it back to the dealer since they are 1.5 hours away, but this is very annoying.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
We just picked up our new baby (2014 351DS) and we love it. On our way home from the dealer we noticed the first problem. While listening to music, everything sounds great and all of the sudden the bass is gone and just the 4 ceiling speakers work. Had to drive like that the entire trip home. I tried cycling power on the radio, but the sub woofer on the passenger side never came on. After shutting down the coach and restarting, the sub started working again. The settings on the radio were (volume 10 - 15) and (-2 bass) and (6 treble).

From experience, it sounds like the sub amp is cutting out due to overheating or overloaded. I guess after turning all power off it resets. There must be something wrong because the bass is turned down to -2. I tried to +2 bass and it cut off even quicker. I'd hate to have to take it back to the dealer since they are 1.5 hours away, but this is very annoying.
I would contact them and let them know what is happening but wait a while and use the coach. Be sure to operate everything and drive it around some to give it a good shakedown. Look over everything now that you have the time. Create a punchout list and then set up an appointment to get it all done at one time. I will advise you that when they need to order parts it's not an over-night thing. I'm sure the subwoofer won't be the only thing they will need to address. Enjoy your coach! Be safe and

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:

We've had all kinds of problems with ours! This will be the 2nd time they have had to change it out!
Lori
Old 09-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Agree with waiting until some of the other bugs emerge and then take it in. I'm a fix it myself if you want it done right kind of guy. Especially if I can find the culprit before taking it in. to make sure they do it right...believe me, it's happened a lot.

Does anyone know if there is a sub amp; if so, where is it located. I just did a quick look under the dash and traced the sub woofer wiring toward the head unit but didn't see anything other than the head unit. If that sub is being fed by that head unit, then there is the problem...there is no way that head unit can feed 4 tweeters and that sub woofer and probably why it's cutting out...some sort of thermal protection. That would be asinine by Forest River to do that and I'm sure the amp is hidden somewhere out of sight.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

Found the amp, it's mounted sideways above the head unit. It is the tiniest amp I've ever seen. Not sure if it's a match for the size of the sub woofer speaker. It has a level adjustment knob. I turned it down a bit and it seems to be working fine now. I have to admit that for the price of this coach, FR could have installed a better head/amp unit and better speakers. Probably one of my first upgrades.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Found the amp, it's mounted sideways above the head unit. It is the tiniest amp I've ever seen. Not sure if it's a match for the size of the sub woofer speaker. It has a level adjustment knob. I turned it down a bit and it seems to be working fine now. I have to admit that for the price of this coach, FR could have installed a better head/amp unit and better speakers. Probably one of my first upgrades.
I know they use some odd brand names over the years. So far in my 2007 the Westinghouse TV up front and the Sanyo TV in the bedroom have been very good. The Magnadyne Dash Radio/CD Player has been replaced after the initial ride home and then recently repaired when the sound just vanished. The Executive HTS-1000 Home Theater System was replaced 3 times under warranty . The one in here now has been doing fine for the last 6 years.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I know they use some odd brand names over the years. So far in my 2007 the Westinghouse TV up front and the Sanyo TV in the bedroom have been very good. The Magnadyne Dash Radio/CD Player has been replaced after the initial ride home and then recently repaired when the sound just vanished. The Executive HTS-1000 Home Theater System was replaced 3 times under warranty . The one in here now has been doing fine for the last 6 years.
It sounds like you've been through it all. I did a quick search and found much better units that they could have installed. Even some with a GPS capability. That Jensen head unit is a cheap one along with that tiny amp. It's really embarrassing that such a nice coach has such a cheap sound system.

Tags
heater