Old 06-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #1

Hooking up Sat. Dome

Okay, getting ready to hook up the Sat. Dome on my SE 315 unit and I understand that there is actually a sat cable hidden over the passenger seat on the roof in a vent tube. I have not checked that yet, but I am hoping they are right. I have a cable marked "Sat" in the right side A/V cabinet but what appears to be lacking is a 12v source. The control unit for the sat dome requires a 12v source to function. I do have a pair of wires located there that are connected to nothing but are also not marked, nor via testing do they appear to have any voltage. I have not had any luck in identifying those wires under the dash either. I was hoping that they were there and either not connected or not fused.

Anyone have any ideas on how to tap a 12v source from that location? I understand that trying to route down through the side pillars might not be an easy option but I don't see where else I could go at this point.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

When Camping World did my Satelite Dome they didn't use the cable provided by FR. Instead they came down through the roof behind the TV with all of the cables. They position the power supply inside the top right cabinet where my selector is. They plugged in the power supply to the 120 Volt outlet. The Voltage is reduced inside that power pack to 12 Volts. The Satelite Cables go directly to my DirecTV Tivo Unit and from there out to the TV. All penetrations are inside the dome but still sealed with Dicor.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #3

You must have a different dome than I do, mine takes 12v - I already hooked it up one time and tried it out to make sure it worked. Thanks for the info though.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #4

I installed a Winegard Travler automatic dish. I also didn't use the coax provided by FR as I couldn't find where it went. I found it easier to remove the TV antenna and use the coax for that. For the +12volts I drilled a 1" dia. hole in the top of the front cap back a bit from the roll over so that it can't be seen from the ground. The dish came with a cable cover plate which is used to cover this hole, it is screwed down with screws in each corner of it and a lot of Dicor was used to make sure it made a good seal. The control cable dropped in right behind the upper cabinet where the electronics are. I was able to remove the TV amplifier plate and fish the wire through to it's control box. For you if all you need is +12volts then I would tap into the wires that supply the voltage to the TV amplifier. Hope this helps some.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #5

this gave me an idea... anyone ever replace the crank up tv antenna with a crank up style dish? I assume one wouldnt have to make anymore holes, use the same cable...and if you really wanted a tv antenna, use something like a Winegard RM-DM61 that has the tv antenna on the dish with a diplexer.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #6

Yes, did this on our last rig. I hate TV antennas and we use Dish Network at home so I bought a used Winegard crank up satellite dish on ebay for around $100. Removed the crank up TV antenna and installed the dish in it's place. Worked great.
www.nwjeepn.com
Old 06-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #7

Hi Chasracer,
Mine is also sat ready and the cable is hidden in the roof cap above the passenger's seat.
I have a 12-volt outlet in the cabinet over the sofa, right next to the incoming sat cable - it is actually all in the same outlet cover - the sat cable is right above the 12-volt outlet jack.
I don't have sat installed yet but am considering options.
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post
Hi Chasracer,
Mine is also sat ready and the cable is hidden in the roof cap above the passenger's seat.
I have a 12-volt outlet in the cabinet over the sofa, right next to the incoming sat cable - it is actually all in the same outlet cover - the sat cable is right above the 12-volt outlet jack.
I don't have sat installed yet but am considering options.
Finally had a chance to get on the roof today and check this out. I have two vent like deals over the passenger seat area. One looks just like the vent at the rear of MH near the shower. I was able to open that one but all I saw inside was some of the insulation material, no cable. The other one is a different shape and has a silver like seal on top of it. I was hesitant about trying to open that one as I wasn't positive about getting it re-sealed if it wasn't the right spot - so I am still kinda of lost just yet on the sat deal.

I also installed a second A/C today where the old vent in the bedroom was located. The installation wasn't too bad a job, but we had to do a minor adjustment on the blower motor before we could call it done. The motor was installed at a slight angle allowing the blower cage to rub against the wall of the A/C creating a nice noise. Once we had the motor lined up right everything was fine. I want to pass on one thing to anyone reading this too, my old vent which is just over 3 years old but has been exposed the entire time to the elements of the weather was completely destroyed. As I was removing it, it was so brittle that it was just falling apart. I have two other vents, but have had them covered with one of the Max-Air deals for several years and this appears to have saved the other two. If yours have been exposed for a few years, you might want to check them out before you end up with a major leak.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasracer View Post
I want to pass on one thing to anyone reading this too, my old vent which is just over 3 years old but has been exposed the entire time to the elements of the weather was completely destroyed. As I was removing it, it was so brittle that it was just falling apart.
It should go without saying that the rest of the rig will also suffer from being totally exposed all the time. Consider the clearance light covers, AC shroud, caulking, etc, etc. This should be a good lesson for all and it is a very good warning.

The cost of an RV cover is relatively cheap compared to the damage the sun can cause to your expensive RV.

Our last rig had lived most it's life in Arizona. Most everything on it that was plastic was falling apart the same way. Once we got everything replaced we started covering it.

www.nwjeepn.com