Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #1

Hot, Hot, Hot! Heat coming from the engine, etc. while driving.

We have been in our Georgetown 360 XL for almost a year now but really haven't traveled in hot summer temperatures until yesterday. We drove about 260 miles in 99 degree heat. The heat coming from the engine and the dog house was miserable. Has anyone experienced this and what have you done to make it better.

Additionally, in reading many threads this morning I believe I read people actually drive with the generator running and the roof AC on to keep the motorhome cooler. Did I read that right?

Tips please. We are headed from Washington to the east coast and then to the keys for winter. It's gonna be a long, hot trip unless we get a handle on this.
JuleyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #2

yes, you can run the generator and the roof top AC while in transit. Lots of people do it. In addition, make sure that the two latches that hold the doghouse cover are latched, otherwise it leaks hot air since the seal is not compressed without them fastened.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #3

The latches on the dog house can also be adjusted to close tighter.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #4

When it get up near 85 we turn on the gen and front a/c and it takes care of the problem.. Just make sure you turn it off when you go to fuel up
Old 07-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

It will also help that it appears that the hot spell is coming to an end!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #6

Your Georgetown may be different, but this may give you some ideas.

I installed insulation on the underside of my doghouse cover to quite things down. I also got some heat reduction out of th e deal.

Also, I found some large openings up near the firewall that was letting hot air in from the engine compartment. I used some expanding foam to plug these openings.

These two items improved the cooling capability significantly. When we do a trip out west in December, I'll know more if it improved the heating capability. The air leak was making the drivers side cold, and having the heater on full blast was keeping the passenger side hot.

Sound deadening and heat shield | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Yes, we do run the generator and roof top AC while traveling when the dash AC can't keep up.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

JuleyT,

It is absolutely OK to roll down the road with the Genny on - we do all the time. Just remember to switch your inverter (to the Refer) off when you do if it is not a auto switch. Also, it will be just like on shore power - make sure your have your battery disconnect switch on.

Now, turn on your A/C and enjoy the cool, cool air
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

Thanks to all of you for the information and advice. We are full time but spent the first three years in a nice, cool dually pulling a 5th wheel. This motorized thing is new to us.

We'll be in Boise tomorrow so I'll check out the dog house. I also made an appointment with a semi-truck service center for an alignment. We added sway bars and that helped a lot but I'm hoping the alignment will also help.

So glad to know about the generator use while moving. We may survive this trip after all. Just to make sure I understand correctly, I need to turn the battery disconnect switch on and turn the inverter off when running the generator while in motion, correct??

Thanks again!
JuleyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
RJJ

Only time I switch battery disconnect and inverter off, is when I put the coach in storage. If I'm on a trip, I leave both on all the time.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #10

JuleyT Have you checked your coolant level?
We had a (very) slow leak that I caught before the motor started over heating.
I drive bare footed the carpet gets a little warm but not hot.

Also check the oil level in the gen, ours uses a little oil.
As mentioned above the little chases compressor is not going to keep you cool!
We run the gen and both ac's. Our generator shuts down pretty often depending on the road/rail road tracks/hard breaking. DW is getting pretty good at restarting it
Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #11

Generator

When running your gen It will quit when the gas tank gets to a 1/2 tanknfull Our gtown did.
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #12

Hot Heat from Doghouse

Get 1/2" Hushmat with reflective aluminum surface and apply it to the Doghouse and area around engine under RV. It makes a difference on heat and noise.

1n
Old 07-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #13

JuleyT,

My Georgetown has the same issues. HOT Foot near gas peddle. I adjusted the latch because it keeps jumping open. I am in the process of installing 1 inch Duct Board to the underside area of the engine. I will hold it up with galvanized screen, large washers and self taping screws. The engine cover is next in line for help.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
It will also help that it appears that the hot spell is coming to an end!
Maybe Not ???
We here in Michigan are supposed to be back in the 90s next week !!!
After last week,,, they old Sunseeker is going to stay parked for a few weeks !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Only time I switch battery disconnect and inverter off, is when I put the coach in storage. If I'm on a trip, I leave both on all the time.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
X2 RJJ..I always leave on until I store the coach at the end of a trip or put in storage and same for my propane unless I gas up. This way I find I don't have to remember what systems or are or off as most are on auto like the fridge. Just find it easier that way and coach batteries/inverter are being powered as we drive along or power up at a park.

2013 Sunseeker 3170ds
bobbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #16

For the heat coming from the gas pedal area I found several large hole in the firewall that I put silicone chalking to patch up. This made a huge difference. This patch job was one of the few quality issues not done at manufacturing.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #17

Although we have never tried it ours says it shuts down at a 1/4 tank to prevent you from running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. Pretty sure we have passed the 1/2 tank mark and not had it shut down.
RVCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote