Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #1

Hot Water electric/gas

On my H/W tank works good on gas. My question is on the electric side the cord is not plugged into outlet just laying inside cabinet. Now if I plug this up will the hot water tank be like refg. does auto or will it have a place to switch from gas to electric?
P.S. I received no papers (manuals) or instruction on M/H from dealer at all.When I ask them no one there seem to know.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #2

More info about your camper, etc would help. However, on mine and I think on others the HW heater is not like the frig. Before you plug in the cord DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOUR WATER HEATER IS FULL OF WATER or your heating element will burn out. You will then most likely need to turn on a small breaker located in the HW heater compartment. If you want the HW heater to run on gas you turn on the gas switch. If you do not want the HW heater to run also on electric you must turn off or unplug the electricity to the HW tank.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Without more info on your Hw heater brand and model not much to go on.
Usually the he heater is NOT corded it's hard wired
Year make and model of camper would help to.
Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #4

2001 Georgetown 33'6'' v10 ford by forest river sorry that all i got.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

Trell:

My '05 XL has a gas and electric WH. The gas is turned on and off by a switch on the control panel. The electric is hard wired and has a breaker in the breaker/fuse panel on the bed box. I can run both at the same time and I usually leave the electric on at a campground and run the gas to improve recovery time. The electric and gas will run at the same time.

Now, I am unsure what cord you are referring to since I don't have one. And, I am not sure when Forest River went to the style WH that I have. Somewhere on here there is a post that links to a plethora of Georgetown brochures that may be of some help.

Also, do you have an XL, VE or another version. These refer to the model series and the XL is a little better appointed than some of the other versions.

Check and see if you can determine the brand and maybe the maybe the model of WH. I am sure there is a manual somewhere you can download.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote