Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
This should help your efforts.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #12

If you have a multimeter it will be easy to isolate the problem.

1) Check AC hot water tank breaker not tripped
2) Check for presence of 120 at battery side pole of the on/off switch; if none have wiring problem to water heater which is not likely
3) Test for presence of 120 at the downstream pole of the on/off switch, if none replace the on/off switch
4) Test for presence of 120 at the downstream side of the AC thermostat, if none press reset button, if still none replace thermostat
5) Test for 120 across the posts of the water heater element, if it was at the thermostat it should be here or you have a bad wire/connection at the thermostat/heater element.
6) Turn off the AC breaker for the Hot Water tank (as you can't use your on/off switch by the tank) and test for 10 ohms resistence across the posts of the water heater elelemt, if open circuit replace water heater element
7) Make sure water on, breaker on and all protective rubber covers back in place and go have a nice hot shower

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
Travelin Man

The switch itself is shorted out. you can get them at most RV dealerships, be sure and unplug the RV before attempting to take out the old switch and put in the new one unless you are going to have someone else do it. it is a matter of just unplugging the wires on the back side of the switch and plugging them back onto the new switch. I recommend buying a second switch as they do not make them very well anymore and they burn out fairly fast.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #14

My guess is the light weight switch overheated last time in service causing contacts to fail, same time the rocker portion of switch welded to the casing thus frozen on, no power.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #15

Sounds like the switch failed as mentioned above. Time to get a new switch. Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #16

My heater is 2012 and DSI equipped but I don't have that fancy spring preventer in the switch either. Would be nice to have but too difficult to access for change. Losing the switch to normal use is better than using the circuit breaker and chance damaging it's protective circuits. ESP since the circuit is under water and can potentially provide a direct path to vehicle ground. This is not a GFCI protected circuit.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #17

Pulled the switch. Nobody in the area has one. Going to do some more searching tomorrow and call Suburban if I can't find one. It moves freely now, but I'd rather replace than reuse.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #18

Measured mine in place, seems Grainger has rocker switch to fit in SPST format. Maybe you have local branch?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Measured mine in place, seems Grainger has rocker switch to fit in SPST format. Maybe you have local branch?
Thanks! None close may have to order online nice to have a place to look.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #20

Found a new switch and installed it. Still no hot water. Time to look for electrical issues. Circut breaker has not tripped. Hi limit has no tripped either. Any ideas for a non electrical person?
Thanks.

Tags
led pad