Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

hot water problem

My hot water tank fires up on propane but quits after about 6 seconds. I have tried several times without success. It works fine on electric. Anyone else have this problem and what was the solution.
The Hankster
07 Georgetown XL 359TS
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:19 PM   #2

It could be a dust bunny in your pilot light and causing it to shut off for your safety.Maybe try blowing out the pilot light with some light air pressure and see if that works, they are very touchy and a little obstuction can cause this.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Site Team

6 seconds sounds like the sensor isn't detecting the flame. Could be spiders or a dust bunny as Chevy said, or it could be that the sensor is out of alignment or just bad or that the flame is not adjusted correctly.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #4

I do like chevy02 & Bama Ramber said. You may want to try cleaning the flame sensor with some sand paper a little, sometime that help.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #5

Hi Hankster,
What brand wh do you have there..
Dave and Rainy
daverain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #6

Ditto on cleaning the flame sensor or thermocouple. Sometimes it can be adjusted closer to the flame. I have had the same problem.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #7

I have read some of the responses to my question about the hot water tank, so I have to ask the question, does a hot water tank with electronic ignition have a pilot light or a thermocoupler?
The Hankster
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #8

The electronic ignition takes the place of the pilot light. The thermocouple when heated produces a small amount of current and is present on both types of gas valves (at least on all the units I have seen including domestic gas hot water heaters). This current "tells" the gas valve that a flame is present and keeps the gas flowing.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #9

NO pilot for all new one. It has a spark ignition to keep it simple. With a control board. First the thermostat call heat. the the control board start the spark ignition, then the gas valve open, If the flame sensor dose not see flame ignition ( burner Flame) then it shut down. delay about 10-20 sec. then dose all over again for about 2-3 times. If the burner dose not have ignition by then it goes in to lock down. You have to turn switch off & then on again & start over.

Being that you said you have about 6 sec. delay then it start over again. I would think you have the spark ignition with a flame sensor. You most likely have a BAD or need to clean or align the flame sensor or you have a bad control board.

If you had the old thermocouple , it would just shut down & not try to relight .

The above post are think that you can do to help with your problem. Or you may need to have it services.