Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #1

House Batteries Many Questions

So when you have your rig tied into shore power and it just sitting inside storage do you leave your main power switch on house on?

Second, if your house batteries are low what recharges them? Shore power, generator or the engine?

And it the batteries are low what should I do.

It’s been cold in Oklahoma and we went out today to pull the rug out, start the engine and the generator and let them run for a while. The steps didn’t come out and while the engine was running and the generator I couldn’t open the slides. But when we pulled it back into the storage and connect to the shore power and turned on the main power switch the slides opened up.

So, I’m assuming the batteries are very low.

Thank you for your wisdom.

Not ok in OK.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

1. If you’re plugged in, then yes I leave the switch on to charge the batteries.

2. Yes to all you just said.

3. Monitor them over the batteries over time with being charged.

4. You need the main switch “ON” to work most everything.

5. Plug in, leave main switch on and monitor the batteries to see if they come back up to where they should be.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:30 PM   #3

The slides will not operate with the ignition switch on. The batteries (coach and chassis) are charged when plugged into shore power via the converter but the coach batteries must not be disconnected for them to charge. And as said the other sources (genny/engine) will also charge the coach batteries either via the converter or the engine driven alternator.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #4

You should check the electrolyte levels at least once a month and top off with distilled water as needed.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
So when you have your rig tied into shore power and it just sitting inside storage do you leave your main power switch on house on?

Second, if your house batteries are low what recharges them? Shore power, generator or the engine?

And it the batteries are low what should I do.

It’s been cold in Oklahoma and we went out today to pull the rug out, start the engine and the generator and let them run for a while. The steps didn’t come out and while the engine was running and the generator I couldn’t open the slides. But when we pulled it back into the storage and connect to the shore power and turned on the main power switch the slides opened up.

So, I’m assuming the batteries are very low.

Thank you for your wisdom.

Not ok in OK.
Main switch on in most recent FR units if you want batteries to charge. TV barely charges batteries. Engine I motorhome will do better depending on rig. Slides pretty much need well charged batteries as they can draw more than charger/converter puts out alone, especially if low batteries are already putting a load on it.

Also if the batteries were really dead for any length of time they may never fully recover so if any sign they are not performing well after being hooked up charging for couple days better run a load test on them and plan appropriate action.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #6

Ken,
Pretty sure all your the batteries are Maintenance free.
and as stated battery cutoff and inside switch have to be on to charge, and it will charge all the batteries, first the coach batteries then the engine battery.
And their correct, engine cannot be running when slides are used.
If you have a volt meter, check the battery's under the steps to see how much voltage they have. While charging 13.4 Volts to 14.8 Volts, when not charging 12.8 Volts. 12.0 Volts and under is not good.

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

Thank you all, and I feel really foolish that I forgot to turn the coach off. I know better than that when trying to open the slides. I’m heading out there shortly to check it out again. Appreciate all the advice and you guys are the best.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:57 PM   #8

Don't feel bad. Had my Motorhome for over a year and I know slides will not operate with engine running. So there I sat one day scratching my head as to why the slides would not go out and thinking the worst. And then it dawned on me, ya motors running. a seniors moment?
cariboo camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #9

Just a note. The engine does not have to be running for the slides to be locked out. Just setting the ignition to on will lock them out. Guess you knew that though. By the way, if the steps do not extend when the door is opened and you suspect a bad coach battery just leave the door open and hit the emergency start switch. If your chassis battery is charged and If they extend you know the coach battery is low on charge.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #10

Where is the emergency start Switch
Old 01-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

It’s easily accessible from the driver’s position and varies bewteeen models where it might be located, but is usually labeled “BATT BOOST”

It’s a momentary switch used for when the engine battery might be weak and can’t start the motor.

Ken and Terry
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
Old 01-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #12

I swear I’m getting old. Thank you so much
Old 01-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #13
jkoenig24

If this is a recent purchase of a new coach, the batteries could be the victim of "Lot Rot". MANY RVs sit for months (or longer) at the dealership before they're sold. Batteries (and tires) that sit for extended periods of non-use do NOT fare well and, premature demise of such components is not unusual. There should be a label on the batteries showing when they were put in service (and tires will have a date code). If the components sat for months without being used/plugged in, that could explain your battery problems.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #14

I’ll be honest that I don’t keep the main power switch on while it’s plugged while he sits in his insulated building. I was concerned about over charging the batteries while he sits there. I thought I read that some place. So I went out this afternoon, filing each battery with distilled water, plugging him and turning on his main power switch. I’ll purchase a voltage tester and check them out. I think it was pretty cold here for a good solid two weeks and he took a hit. We always take him out of storage for cruise every 3 weeks, to keep everything fired up. Thank You
Old 01-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #15
Kanadian Kamper

Not that there’s anything wrong here, but.......

I don’t recall anyone calling the motorhome “him or he or his”

Wish mine was indoors when we’re not in “it or her or....”.

Ken and Terry
Old 01-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Not that there’s anything wrong here, but.......

I don’t recall anyone calling the motorhome “him or he or his”

Wish mine was indoors when we’re not in “it or her or....”.

We’ll, with all due respect it’s a him and his name is George.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:13 PM   #17

Oh boy, there's the making of a whole new thread, "Do you have a name for your RV"?
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Oh boy, there's the making of a whole new thread, "Do you have a name for your RV"?

It’s already out there in this group.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #19

I killed the house batteries on my 2013 G-town because I did not leave the disconnect switch "on" when plugged into shore power. I replaced them the summer of '17. (Also, I wasn't aware that the engine battery will also be charged. Thanks for that information.)

Now I would like to know the purpose of even having a disconnect switch.
Ol Poopypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Poopypants View Post
I killed the house batteries on my 2013 G-town because I did not leave the disconnect switch "on" when plugged into shore power. I replaced them the summer of '17. (Also, I wasn't aware that the engine battery will also be charged. Thanks for that information.)

Now I would like to know the purpose of even having a disconnect switch.
Ensuring your house batteries maintain maximum charge.
Make sure it's disconnected when removed from shore power. Disconnect the ground cable from ground while in storage to ensure the charge isn't being depleted by radios, lp gas monitors etc etc.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries