Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #11

You are one lucky soul...when batteries are fried like yours and explode it is like gernade going off...I check my batts every 30 days when plugged in and my first set from FR lasted 2 months...I replaced with two new quality ones and now I very very seldom have to add water. Also, dont' forget to get your converter tested for output to make sure it does not screw up the new ones as well.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #12

Another option for battery replacement is are AGM (Absorbent Glass Matt) batteries. They're more expensive but they require no maintenance and are very safe. In fact they're certified to travel aboard passenger air liners. And they're in every computer datacenter and every Phone company room in the country. When the power goes out and your phone still works, it's because inside some Phone company building there are a whole pile of AGM batteries running everything.

They don't explode, and they don't release hydrogen gas like flooded lead acid batteries do. Which is why you can safely use them indoors.

You can still kill these batteries by over charging them but any 3-stage charger should keep them safe and working for a very long time. It's not uncommon for phone rooms to have 15 - 30 year old battery stacks still going strong. If they do get killed by over charging they get warm and puff-up. And sometimes they release a bit of white crusty acid stuff around their terminals. A much better result than flooded batteries which release lots of hydrogen and oxygen and sometimes go boom when over charged.

Trojan makes a whole line of AGM batteries and so do most other companies. Just make sure you get Deep Cycle.
Trojan Battery Company

What is a deep cycle?
Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

More about AGM Batteries:
Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #13

I don't know about your RV. But lots of RV's come with inteli-power converters. Some of these can be upgraded to 3-stage charging by just adding a $30 dongle that plugs right into them.

RV Products
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
We had a battery blew up in our 2012 Georgetown. We bought our Georgetown in Ontario and were in Alamo TX and the CO detecter had been chirping but not doing a full alarm and we had gone to Ron Hover RV in Dona TX and they were going to check it out in a few days. We were away and when we returned our next door neighbour came running out and told us we had an explosion and they shut the LP of. I went around to the side and there was a battery top on the ground under the RV.
Forest River had Ron Hoovers bring out two new batteries and they checked out the converter and it was OK. John Armstrong at FR feels it was a bad battery. We are on our way home from TX to ON and have an appointment at FR for some other things and they will check the converter agin. I had checked the water in the battery only days before it blow up and it was OK the new ones also are fine.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkatronron View Post
You are one lucky soul...when batteries are fried like yours and explode it is like gernade going off...I check my batts every 30 days when plugged in and my first set from FR lasted 2 months...I replaced with two new quality ones and now I very very seldom have to add water. Also, dont' forget to get your converter tested for output to make sure it does not screw up the new ones as well.
They weren't fried, one was just very low on fluid, the other was about 3/4 full. Why would I get my converter tested? Its 5 months old and my batteries are fine. Unless you are talking to the OP. I still would get the batteries tested and if they are ok, keep them. And, if it has a single stage charger, I wouldn't even test it, I would replace it with a three stage.

nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery