Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

House battery / smell problem

Hello all - I am having a problem with my 2011 350TS maybe you guys can help. I noticed the house batteries were not taking a charge so I checked the fluid levels in them, one of the batteries required some topping off but not a huge amount, battery number two was pretty much dry! Now part two of the problem - 5 minutes after plugging the unit in to shore power the CO detector starts chirping and the battery compartment under the steps smells like rotten eggs (I could hear the battery charging/sizzling) when the coach was unplugged and the battery disconnect pressed then the smell would dissipate and the CO detector would return to normal. I'm not sure if new batteries would help or if I need to check further into the charging system which I am not sure how to go about. I know the coach is still under warranty but I canít get to a dealer right now and have a trip planned in two weeks!! Uggghhh!!

Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This is a dangerous situation.

That rotten egg smell is the acid or, more probably, hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S). The battery needs to be replaced before it explodes. Be very careful breathing that stuff.

After replacing, you also need to check why this happened. It almost sounds as if the battery was overcharged and boiled dry. May be a problem with your converter/charger. Or maybe the battery had a bad cell. Either way it needs to be replaced and the charger checked over.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

OMG yes.

You need to get that dry battery out ASAP. Batteries explode with some violence; create a mess at best; cause an electrical fire that destroys your RV at worst.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3765.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	11001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3767.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	11002  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #4

My 2011 360RB came new with both house
batteries bone dry Forest River paid for the replacements. Get it out of your rig now!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #5

I have disconnected the coach from the shore power and disconnected the batteries for now, to avoid a problem (can't get to changing out till tomorrow) Do you guys think I should change both batteries or just the one that went dry? Also - how do I go about checking my converter to make sure it is not a problem to any new batteries I put in. Thank you, always know I can count on this group for problem fixes!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

I would replace both batteries ASAP. Like the others have said, the dry one is like a time bomb and can cause significant damage to anyone around it if it happens to blow, with the explosion shooting sulphuric acid all over you and everything else. Just one spark can set the fumes off.

As for checking the converter, get a voltmeter and AFTER you change out both batteries, check the voltage to be around 13.5 volts while it is plugged into shore power.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

As Neil mentioned if one was boiled dry the other one had to have gotten damaged as well.

Time for a new matched set.

You should have your charging circuits checked at the same time.
These files might help you troubleshoot your converter and charging circuits.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Control Center.pdf (400.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: pdf BiDirectional Isolator Relay Delay.pdf (105.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf Georgetown Battery Connect Center 113174 1 OF 1[1].pdf (318.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf rv custom products SD1070001[1].pdf (1.34 MB, 60 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If your unit is still under warranty, than I would schedule a service at your dealership and ask them to identify the problem. Even out of warranty, it might be good if you are not familiar with the power system. They can check your battery for you as well and give advice.

You converter manual will have the instructions on how to test its output voltage. You can do this yourself at the converter and at the battery with a voltmeter.

With the batteries, I would replace both.

If you want to test the other one yourself, the best test for a wet cell battery is to fully charge the battery and test with a hydrometer to make sure all the cells have the same specific gravity. One that is significantly lower indicates a potential problem.

You can also test with a voltmeter.

Here's the manual for my Trojan batteries. Pages 17-19 discuss this. It might help ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trojan battery user guide.pdf (585.2 KB, 76 views)

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #9

replace them both, and I would remove them from the coach immediately if it were me.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
When I got my 2011 378TS it had a single stage converter/charger on it. One of the problems with these single stage chargers is that they will deplete the fluid in the battery if left plugged in for a lenghty time. We are fulltimers so being unplugged frome shore power is out of the question. After about six months I checked my batteries and the were much like Col-man described. I refilled both batteries and about a week later replace the original converter with a 3 stage converter. It was an easy switch out. Just checked the batteries last week and after 5 months this time they were right up to snuff. Don't know when yours was made, but we toured the factory in June of last year and they were putting 3 stage converters in Georgetowns then, in fact the same one I bought. Mine was built in April 2010. If you can see no apparent damage and the specific gravity checks out in all cells, I wouldn't replace them. It appears I caught mine just in time. Oh, if you have a 3 stage converter and this happened, then I think you have a problem that needs correcting.

nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery