Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #1

Houston

On my way to Texas fm Florida on I10 what is the best way through Houston. The toll system on the south beltway look pretty confusing to me and expensive. Some booth seams to have no service need a pass (no money) some have service can pay with money I guess? . Again pretty confuse here.

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 2015, towing a 2014 Ford Explorer XL
tilap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:31 AM   #2

It has been a few years since I have been there but Houston traffic is hell. I don't have an answer for you except find a way to avoid it if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

The south beltway (Sam Houston pkwy) is probably 30 miles.

If you can avoid rush hourS and Sunday afternoon the interstates are ok (depends on your definition of OK).
Always expect construction with possible freeway closures on Sunday, so have a backup plan, straight through on I 10.

We would exit I 10 at exit 775 on to I 610 N around Houston then take exit 11 back on I 10 W.

If you can't avoid the toll lanes (they DO make an effort to help you get on them} they'll take your picture and send you a bill, may take several weeks to track you down.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Is there a reason you are looking at taking the beltway around I-10? It will be extra time and sitting to pay cash at the toll booths can be timely otherwise you need an EZ Tag. You can get on the website HCTRA.org and get a temporary tag. Then you can use the EZ Tag lanes and not get fined. BUT if you are just passing straight through, time and distance wise, your best bet is to just stay on I-10. If you hit it between 9am-3pm you shouldn't hit too much traffic. Good luck on your journey!
LaraL07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Lara007 no, no real reason, mainly trying to go around big cities as much as possible. I went on their site for the beltway and not knowing Houston at all I find it complicated to find out how much? Where they take cash etc. So. I Think I'll do as you say and just keep on going on I10. And cross my fingers.

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 2015, towing a 2014 Ford Explorer XL
Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Most of the toll roads in Houston are now EZ-Tag only. I'm not sure if all of them will use the picture-send-a-bill method. But they will certainly send you a violation. And honestly, the traffic is just as bad at the main throughways on the toll roads (junctions at I-10, I-45, etc.) as anywhere depending on the time you come through.

Your best bet, as LaraL07 mentioned, is straight through. I-610 to the north could be a possibility, but it is not much north of I-10, and again, depending on the time, is even worse for traffic, especially on the west side where it meets up with I-10 again.

I would try very hard to make it a timing thing. Either mid-morning, say around 9:30am to about 11:00 am, or early afternoon, say around 1:00pm to about 3:00pm. On any day of the week those are the best times to go through. If you come through early on a Sunday morning or late in the evening (after about 7:30 or so pm) you would be fine also. But trying to go around will net you nothing. Believe me, I have tried it as both a non-resident, and a resident. I have lived here (in the area...I work downtown) for almost 10 years now, and have watched it grow and expand. Just suck it up and drive straight through. If you do get caught in some traffic, just turn the radio up a bit and enjoy the ride. There won't be a thing you can do about it.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Well If you are going South on the beltway you would hit 4 toll booths. Each ranging from $1.25-$2. That's not including if you are pulling your rig. In your case it's all about timing.
Lara
LaraL07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Thanks I'll keep on going straight on I10 I'll just try to hit it at the right time like you said. Thanks again you guys are my heroes of the day.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilap View Post
Thanks I'll keep on going straight on I10 I'll just try to hit it at the right time like you said. Thanks again you guys are my heroes of the day.
My suggestion, as well...
Days Camped 2015: 40
Days Camped 2016: 03
Christian_D is offline   Reply With Quote