Old 07-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

How accurate is "Miles to Empty" indicator?

Just bought a new 2014 Georgetown 328TS yesterday!

Noticed there is a "Miles to Empty" indicator on the dash info. The RV dealer supposedly filled gas tank to full, but more than likely it's not totally full as they used generator and we did a test drive etc after they filled it. Or at least that's what I'm hoping!!

Currently it's saying that there are 481 miles to empty. We have a 80 gallon tank. So even if we're not totally full, at 481 miles to go, and say 70 gallons left in tank, that's still under 7 miles to the gallon and this is without a toad.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has noticed if this indicator is accurate? In reading the forums, looks like average mpg is about 7?

Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I have a 351DS and just finished a 3400 mile trip pulling a toad. Averaged between 7 and 7.5 mpg. I drive around 62-63 mph on interstate.

awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #3

I have been pretty surprised by the relative accuracy of what it shows. And yes, sorry, but about 7mpg +/- 10% is about the best you will get....unless you are on a very long down hill run and have a tail wind!
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #4

There are individuals with a 378TS on this forum that claim to get 8 to 9 MPG while towing roller skates at 75 MPH but for me it's around 7 MPG towing a Saturn Vue at 65 MPH on the same highways those individuals travel. Miles to empty seems to be quite accurate for my 378TS configuration.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #5

My "Miles to Empty" indicator in the dash is very accurate.
I can get about 150 miles or a little more per 1/4 of a tank marks.
So a full tank show close to 600 miles.
Even if you get the close to empty signal on dash you still have at least 10 gallons left. I use 7.5 mpg as my aaverage mpg

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Pete

I believe it is accurate also.

I also believe that getting in excess of 7.5 MPG is the same as when "I used to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow " when I was a kid. I'd like to hear feedback on how folks get 8-9mpg to happen and where they drive.

We're full timers, fully loaded (probably over) towing a 4DR, 4WD Jeep Rubicon. The last 10k miles the "dashboard indicator" shows 6.8mpg. I believe it is accurate. I'd love to get the 8-9mpg others talk about.

2010 GT 378TS
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #7

I have just done 2000 miles to Canada, Nova Scotia and now sitting in Maine. I average 7.27 over all towing a 2001 Saturn SL -1. Some legs, very mountainous, 6.85 but then over all its 7.27. I am pretty sure that if I could stay on the flat in Texas or Az or NM, I could squeeze 8 out of her. Now if I can just get Ford to fix the damn sway bar brackets, Yes they fixed mine about 3k a go, now the bottom bolt on drivers side is no where to be found and the the bracket broke from the top bolt. This is getting old.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post

Noticed there is a "Miles to Empty" indicator on the dash info. The RV dealer supposedly filled gas tank to full, but more than likely it's not totally full as they used generator and we did a test drive etc after they filled it. Or at least that's what I'm hoping!!

Currently it's saying that there are 481 miles to empty. We have a 80 gallon tank. So even if we're not totally full, at 481 miles to go, and say 70 gallons left in tank, that's still under 7 miles to the gallon and this is without a toad.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has noticed if this indicator is accurate? In reading the forums, looks like average mpg is about 7?
The miles to empty number is a calculation the little computer does. It uses the average MPG you have been getting then compares that to your fuel tank level to calculate miles to empty. If you for some reason started getting better or worse MPG (long down hill or uphill, etc) the display will re-calculate and reflect the new average at current (updated) fuel level in the tank. My point being the 481 miles may change as you travel because your MPG changes due to driving conditions it is only as accurate as you have a consistent MPG. Having said all this I find mine (in my car Toy-Camry Hybrid) to be very accurate as long as you keep in mind it will change if conditions change.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvnlife1973 View Post

Mine is accurate and I'm very lucky if I ever get more than 500 miles remaining after a fill up. I tow a minivan with a dolly almost everywhere I go.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #10

mine is very close to accurate
i get 12 mpg
6.5 hiway and 5.5 city = 12
brianj

take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote