Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

How bout completely ticked off

We have a 2013 378xl it is a great coach ,,,but I have had to fix a couple of small things, but today ($&@;: trying to repair kit faucet plastic retainer blew apart flooded kitchen the screws on the counter weight were stripped out had to cut it off after I removed the faucet found the hose to the faucet head thru the faucet the the connection was zip tied on no way to fix ,so buy a new one also made in you know where. Why can,t they just buy quality parts and just add to the price. There is no way it can make that much difference ,, I am thru for now

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #2

Competition has taken over from quality. Sorry to hear of your bad experience but if you are going to stay in the RV world you will have to expect and adapt to piss poor manufacturing and KEEP TOOLS AND PARTS ON HAND. Good luck and happy camping
trackmanbfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I think you meant the fitting was crimped on; not zip tied.
Crimped PEX fittings are the best way to attach fittings to PEX and are the industry standard.

Feel free to replace them with press on SharkBite fittings if you don't have the crimping tool (not all that expensive).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 037.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	83382  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 PM   #4

No zip ties I do know the diff. Been in construction 40 years

Old 07-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Meant to say the plastic square fitting that the spout is on that is fed down thru the main housing and snapped onto the supply line was zip tied on ,not around it ,but to hold it together

Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehba View Post
Meant to say the plastic square fitting that the spout is on that is fed down thru the main housing and snapped onto the supply line was zip tied on ,not around it ,but to hold it together

This is my shocked face. Could you post a photo or is it too late?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Shocked Face.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	83561  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

So you know how to fix stuff. If this is just a complaint about poor workmanship we all know how you feel.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

I feel for you. I just finished repairing a rolling cart that was improperly made (by those famous Amish carpenter in RV Indiana), re-gluing cupboard doors, fixing the awning, re-adjusting a latch, etc. Isn't quality control great. If they didn't have it, imagine what you would get.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #9

Quality Control...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyRetirees View Post
I feel for you. I just finished repairing a rolling cart that was improperlyle made (by those famous Amish carpenter in RV Indiana), re-gluing cupboard doors, fixing the awning, re-adjusting a latch, etc. Isn't quality control great. If they didn't have it, imagine what you would get.
If you have been associated with RVs and their owners over the past several yrs., there appears to be a definite deterioration of quality control in the manufacturing process and design of these products. I have personally experienced a nightmare situation and talked with probably ten owners who readily want to talk about similar problems. The current cycle seems to be that many disenchanted owners are simply passing the lemons on to used RV buyers by either trading away their problems or selling these bombs to some other poor sucker. The manufacturers give us the impression that once the warranty runs out, they could care less. What surprises me the most is that some owners still defend the crap these manufacturers foist on consumers and simply accept the problems and actually enjoy spending every spare minute repairing or maintaining a RECREATIONAL vehicle.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #10

Hi all I have a 1995 KountryAire by Newmar. It is a 20yr old coach .out side of routine maintenance and treating it with.care I have very little problems with my "Betsy".yep the quality still shines thru.no cheap as China parts holding her together. I belive what the discussion is about is why we see such a resurgence of the "classic " rv's.
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #11

The first time I went to use the bathroom sink in my (first owner) 2011 Georgetown 327DS, I discovered that he faucet in the bathroom should have been classified (NHTSA nomenclature) as "functionally obselete". This means that there's nothing wrong with it but it's no longer suitable for it's intended purpose. When the faucet was turned on, the stream of water exiting it was about 1" from the back of the sink. This made it very difficult to rinse soap off of my hands and almost impossible to use the sink to clean my contact lenses.

When the counter top was replaced to correct a manufacturing defect, I purchased a Delta faucet that moved the water release point further into the sink. The dealer installed it instead of replacing the original one - a zero labor cost upgrade.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
If you have been associated with RVs and their owners over the past several yrs., there appears to be a definite deterioration of quality control in the manufacturing process and design of these products. I have personally experienced a nightmare situation and talked with probably ten owners who readily want to talk about similar problems. The current cycle seems to be that many disenchanted owners are simply passing the lemons on to used RV buyers by either trading away their problems or selling these bombs to some other poor sucker. The manufacturers give us the impression that once the warranty runs out, they could care less. What surprises me the most is that some owners still defend the crap these manufacturers foist on consumers and simply accept the problems and actually enjoy spending every spare minute repairing or maintaining a RECREATIONAL vehicle.

Its a race to the "bottom". Most manufacturers are trying to sell more coaches by adding glitz while at the same time using cheaper materials to keep the selling price lower. Forest River coaches look great when new but furniture, roof system, hydraulics, lights, entry steps, etc. all tend to malfunction way too frequently and way too soon. It may be a problem for most manufacturers of entry price point coaches. The stuff tends to last longer than the warranty period but in 3 to 4 years there are multiple problems. I really liked my coach the first two years but am now disappointed.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote