Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #1

How do I get residential frig out?

The saga of my refrigerator not working on my new Georgetown 364TS continues. I called Forest River and they said that Frigidaire requires their own people to work on their refrigerators. So I called Frigidaire who sent one of their service people out today. First, the guy didn't really act like he had a clue what he was doing. When it looked like he was trying to listen for something and I had the coach AC on he turned around to the thermostat like he was going to turn it off and I said would you like me to turn off the AC and he said yes. Come on, maybe I'm picky but don't start touching stuff in my RV without my permission. So he listened and said the fan is working. Yes but as you can see on the display, the refrigerator temp is 62 and the freezer is 49. I'm pretty sure that for a brand new refrigerator that is not operating as designed. Sheesh.

Then he said I need to come out when there's two of us. What? I just sighed and said okay and then he makes a phone call and is on hold for like 20 minutes. Turns out he's calling Frigidaire tech support. They finally answer and run him through a bunch of diagnostics and then they diagnose a bad evaporator. Then he calls his boss and says this thing is in an RV and I don't know how we're going to get it out of this little hole its in. So finally he turns to me and says I've got two more calls to go on, let me talk to my boss and I'll call you. I said okay.

So he calls me later and said I can order the part but we're not going to move the frig out of that hole, you need to get someone else to do that. Can you take it to the dealer and have them do that? I said are you kidding me? You want me to take it to the dealer, have them move it so its insecure and then drive it back home so it can fall over on the drive home? Really? He said well I don't know what to tell you. I said well Forest River says Frigidaire requires me to have you guys work on it and you guys are saying you won't work on it so where does that leave me? He said maybe you should call Forest River and see how they got it in there. I just said okay, I'll call you back. I have a headache now.

So I went out and took some pictures. It is hard to see inside there but in looking at the pictures, it looks like maybe its sitting on a solid ledge in the hole. My question if anyone is still with me is do you know how the refrigerator is installed into this "hole" ? If you look at the last picture you can kind of see where the leveling leg is sitting on what looks like just a 6" platform. Or maybe its just wishful thinking. I don't see any kind of cap or anything else down there that makes any kind of sense. I can't get down there with a flashlight right now and look at it because I had surgery and can't wear my glasses so even if I looked I wouldn't see a thing. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I'm going to call FR tomorrow to see if they can assist. Thanks for any help.

Marcusfan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	83919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig2.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	83920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig3.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	83921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig4.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	83922  
Old 07-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Please post the results. Because ever since I got my RV a year ago, I keep asking myself what if? How do I? Still wondering how I would get this thing out if needed.

Denis, Forest river Georgetown XL 377 towing a 2014 Ford Explorer.
tilap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

I think the Teck is doing the Proper thing,let the Dealer Remove it! then the Teck can work on it! It is NO different than a Totally enclosed unit in a House that Cant be simply (Rolled/Pulled) Out! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #4

To take it out on my GT 36, first I removed the bottom grill under the freezer by raising it up. Next remove the two screws behind the grill on each side at the front. My fridge is now ready to come out. I couldn't pull it out, so I tilted the motorhome over using the jacks. I made a ramp, and with the help of gravity, it rolled right on out. I tilted the mh the the other way to get it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #5

Thanks for the PM's that I needed to update my signature with the new coach! I think that was confusing everyone.

Marcusfan
Old 07-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Director, FROG

I'd call Kevin Stratton at Georgetown Service & Warranty to see what he suggests on getting it out or how it was installed. Kevin's phone number is (574) 206-7611.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

absolutely 100% correct in having the dealer pull the fridge. You do not ask your flooring guy to un-install and re-install a toilet, if they make a mistake it is their fault and they are not covered as they are not authorized or proficient in doing things outside of their scope
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #8

Yeah I already tried to call Kevin to see what they recommended. I had to leave a message. Last time I called him it took a couple days for him to call me back. I'm sure he will get back to me next week.

We're out camping this weekend the old fashioned way. A cooler full of ice and everything in the freezer section at 49 degrees. Could be a lot worse. At 97 degrees at least the AC works!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I think the Teck is doing the Proper thing,let the Dealer Remove it! then the Teck can work on it! It is NO different than a Totally enclosed unit in a House that Cant be simply (Rolled/Pulled) Out! Youroo!!
YEP
Start over

Take it to your dealer tell them to call you when it's ready.
They'll call Frigidaire.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #10

Travis is the other Georgetown tech rep. He's done amazing things to help me through some problems. His direct number is 574-206-7635. Since I live in Ohio, I assume the tech reps have regions. (By the way: Wednesday, I called Travis about a bad inverter remote switch. I go it UPS the next day! You just can't beat that kind of service.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #11

The issue of FR not working on a item is not new, just like if you had a new home built and the fridge was installed in a cabinet and it needed to be service, the builder is not going to work on the fridge, but might need to remove it from cabinet to be serviced.
So in so much as I understand the issue you feel you are in , this in normal for all company's.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
I Break Everything

Good Luck with the Dealer. We have the same fridge. Our ice maker went out. It was fixed easily. But Frigidaire had to do it. We had to talk to a few supervisors before it got worked out, but it did. Nothing got nasty, just took a while, the, "regulars" that answer for service can't help you.

The repair man that came out, Lucky for us it turns out based on your post, knew what he was doing. He brought multiple parts, asked me a few questions and he breathed a sigh of relief when he heard me say the water is working.

He said if the pump goes out, you have to pull the entire fridge. It takes two people were his exact words. He said he'd done it before and was glad he didn't have to with ours. He said Frigidaire is the party responsible, not the dealer.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote