Old 08-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

How do I remove the doghouse?

I have a 2004 Georgetown. I've read a lot about insulating the doghouse engine cover. So, without thinking I would have any trouble, I purchase a piece of "boom mat". But. Ow, I can't figure out how to get the doghouse off! There are two latches on the side that are easy enough to unhook, but it looks like the cover is held on up against the dash with maybe a hinge? I can pull the cover up just about 6 inches to see under there, but I cannot figure out how to get up in there to see what is holding it down. Can someone give me some advice? Or am I just going to have to take it to a shop and pay them to get it off? Thank you!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

You have to remove the little "mat" in the cupholder, and remove the two screws that hold it down.

Then remove the cupholder, and you have plenty of room to take it out.

There's enough stick-um to hold the mat down when you put it back.

I have to do this every two years for smog checks.

Hope this helps.

1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #3

Don't know what model GT you have but I just pull up on back end then pull straight aft and it slides out from underneath the tray.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #4

If his is like mine, the cup holder acts like a wedge between the dog house and the dash, and has to be removed to lift the rear of the dog house to clear the carpet to slide it back.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #5

I don't have a cup holder on top of my doghouse. When I unhook the two latches on both sides, then I can lift up on it but then it looks like there is a hinge or some thing holding the cover on, near the front part, near the dash. I've read that some people have hidden screws, but I don't think that is it either, because I don't think I would be able to lift it up at all. I'll see if I can fit my camera under there and snap a picture. I have a 325DS.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #6

Tarvelbug49..............

You don't mention if you're the original owner of the motorhome or not. Most people (including myself) have little or no trouble getting the doghouse off.

However, the original owner would be the only person to know if other attachments were made to the lid making it difficult to remove.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #7

Got it!

I finally got it off. It was just stuck and I was afraid to pull to hard because I didn't want to rip anything off. My uncle came over and pulled it right off. So, I insulated it with a "boom mat" that 8 got from Summit Racing. I paid $140 bucks for it and had some left over so I just stuck it to the back of my floor mats! Figured that it couldn't hurt. There was a piece of cheap insulation already stuck in there, that I pulled off and cleaned the fiberglass with some krud cutter grease cutter. We'll see if it helps. Thank you for all of your help, turned out I was just not strong enough to pull the cover off!