Old 05-06-2016, 12:15 PM   #1

How do we get there?

We are having some issues with our GPS, so we are trying to get places the old fashion way using Google Maps or Map Quest. Seems as if those sites do not care at all that you are driving a 37 foot motor home towing a car behind you, and we canít find an option to let the site know what we are driving.

Take a right on route 123 and go 10 miles, oops, it didnít tell you that there was a 10í clearance bridge along that route!

Does anyone know of an online driving map URL that will let you say that you are driving a truck or bus so that it doesnít take you down back roads where the turns are difficult even for cars?

Old 05-06-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Probably nothing online that is free.. GoodSam has / had a trip planner on their web page for a while (used it one time just to see it) that allowed for me to avoid low passes and non RV friendly roads. We just use a RV GPS now.

There are also Trucker maps books in the truck stops that have heights and "approved" truck routes.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
clr

A good GPS unit for big trucks or RV would be the ticket for what you are looking to accomplish. There are several on the market, Rand McNally, Good Sam, Garmin and may be others. A little on the pricey side about 300 to 350 depending upon the bells and whistles but they work great.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #4

Garmin RV GPS

Allows you to put in the dimensions of your RV, length, width, height, etc. Will route you around low overhangs, avoid ferries, etc.

The only thing it won't do (at least that I found) is route you around Hazmat restricted tunnels.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
Garmin RV GPS

Allows you to put in the dimensions of your RV, length, width, height, etc. Will route you around low overhangs, avoid ferries, etc.

The only thing it won't do (at least that I found) is route you around Hazmat restricted tunnels.
I believe you are correct. The Dezl truck version apparently will re-route around tunnels with restrictions.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

I've yet to find an online site that includes low clearance issues.

I believe that Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try! (wasn't free the last time I looked) includes an overlay of the Low Clearances POI onto it, but doesn't necessarily route you around it. BUT- I won't pay for a trip planner, so it's out for me.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

From personal experience do not put 100% trust in the good sam trip planner or the good sam GPS powered by Rand McNally. Both routed me to a tunnel that prohibited motorhomes. Good most of the time, but...

Also neither knows about low railroad underpasses in my neighborhood.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #8

If you own/purchase a GPS that can upload POI's, like Garmin or TomTom, then the site to join is the POI-Factory at:
POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS

This site has hundreds of POI's (Points of Interest) that can be used by RV'ers including low clearances, rest stops, truck plazas, campgrounds, etc. Most of these POI's are maintained by site members and are fairly up to date.

Although the GPS will not route you, it will notify you of POI's in plenty of time to react to them.

2016 Sunseeker 3050DS towing 2006 Hummer H3

WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

Noobie | Is there a GPS app for RV owners worried about low bridge heights? [ASK MR. NOOBIE] - Noobie
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

I have a Magellan Roadmate RV9145-LM and it even directed me to a center lane of a three lane overpass because the two outside were lower than 12 feet. That was a railroad overpass in Kansas City, Ks. I have nothing but respect for mine. It has lifetime maps, which I upgrade all the time.