Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

How do you turn the LG residential refrigerator off after winterizing

2020 Georgetown XL 378 with LG residential refrigerator. Need to turn power off after winterizing. I need to keep power to the coach so batteries will stay charged. I don't see a way to get at the electric plug. I also don't see an on off switch inside refrigerator.
I suppose I could dig out the manual and read.
Barry789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
NXR

Generally residential fridges will have a knob or other setting to set the temp and turn it off. Failing that, check your circuit breakers, wherever they are.

This should not be an issue for you since you have a residential fridge but we just hit an "issue" on our GT5 with a Norcold fridge. The Suburban furnace fan self-destructed and blew its 15-amp fuse.

The fuse was marked FURNACE REFER and yes, when the furnace blew the fuse it also killed the power to the Norcold control circuitry. Fortunately I was able to disable the furnace and had spare fuses. But if your breaker says it powers something else as well, believe it.

Ray
Old 10-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #3

I would prop it open so it doesn't develop any mold unless its super cold.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #4

Ok I found it. The LG residential refrigerator plug is in the cabinet in front of toilet Click image for larger version

Name:	1571506714089.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	217602
Old 10-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I would prop it open so it doesn't develop any mold unless its super cold.
Until the unit can be turned off, the light will come on when the door is open.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Until the unit can be turned off, the light will come on when the door is open.
No kidding!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry789 View Post
2020 Georgetown XL 378 with LG residential refrigerator. Need to turn power off after winterizing. I need to keep power to the coach so batteries will stay charged. I don't see a way to get at the electric plug. I also don't see an on off switch inside refrigerator.
I suppose I could dig out the manual and read.
The residential fridge is operated via shore power or your inverter when no shore power. The shore power enters your coach and goes through a breaker that is probably marked fridge/inverter. The shore power leaves this breaker and is routed to your inverter. It passes thru your inverter and goes to the fridge plug.

The shore power is always routed thru the inverter. Now if the inverter is off then the shore power just routes thru the inverter to your fridge. To kill the fridge throw the fridge/inverter breaker and make sure your inverter is off. There is an on/off switch for your inverter somewhere. Mine is on the front panel of the inverter.

If the inverter is on and you throw the fridge/inverter breaker the fridge will stay on because the inverter see that the ac went away. The inverter does not know you threw the breaker, it just senses that the ac went away and it will switch to generating the ac from your batteries.

You should not have to unplu the fridge. Find the fridge/inverter breaker (it may be labeled different on your RV) and switch it off and turn the inverter off and your fridge will be off... hope this makes sense..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #8

I have the same refrig. and asked myself and the web the same question. Got a lot of bad answers. A Cardinal member and friend told me to turn off the inverter I turned off the invertor. the inside lights and door operating panel are off. It does not cool. The refrig has no on and off switch. You have a dedicated inverter just for the refrig.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bird View Post
I have the same refrig. and asked myself and the web the same question. Got a lot of bad answers. A Cardinal member and friend told me to turn off the inverter I turned off the invertor. the inside lights and door operating panel are off. It does not cool. The refrig has no on and off switch. You have a dedicated inverter just for the refrig.
Big Bird, When you turned off the inverter were you still connected to shore power? If no, then yes your fridge will turn off because the inverter is not supplying power via your batteries.

The OP is keeping his unit connected to shore power so if the shore power is on and the breaker feeding to the inverter/fridge is on then the fridge is on regardless of the inverter being on or off.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #10

I just turn the breaker off that's marked fridge and make sure the invertor is off...
H3OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #11

There is another post of recent that is asking about the inverter. I created a sketch that shows all the combinations of inverter being on or off for that thread and it is here..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEECC267-63B5-4A34-9228-A3E9616B85FD.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	217832  

Old 10-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #12

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
There is another post of recent that is asking about the inverter. I created a sketch that shows all the combinations of inverter being on or off for that thread and it is here..
Wow, not sure why it's so complicated for people? I didn't even think about it when I powered mine off. I just turned the breaker off and the invertor, the only places it can get power from. I do think it's stupid they hide the plug, the only way to actually unplug my fridge is to unscrew the vent cover on the furnace.
H3OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3OHIO View Post
Wow, not sure why it's so complicated for people? I didn't even think about it when I powered mine off. I just turned the breaker off and the invertor, the only places it can get power from. I do think it's stupid they hide the plug, the only way to actually unplug my fridge is to unscrew the vent cover on the furnace.
I know but there have been a lot of posts about the inverter. Many don’t understand the electrical operation of their unit or even what an inverter is or where it is located. That is what this forum is for.

It may not be complicated to you due to your background or experiences but others may not have that knowledge. If we start criticizing people who ask questions then they may be reluctant to ask.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #15

We're new to the residential fridge in RVs world and in doing some research, our fridge cannot be completely turned off when on commercial power unless I hit the breaker. Via the door controls you can shut off the fridge compartment but not the freezer. Found that to be odd....but the manual states it clearly how to turn of the fridge but freezer will continue to cool. So we use the breaker when at home on commercial power but want the fridge and freezer off.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #16
Senior Member - Retired

That's very interesting. On our residential refrigerator the touch screen on the outside of the left side front door (it is café style so has two doors and one drawer) has an "off" selection. When selected the refrigerator, freezer and interior lights shut off. I leave it in that mode when not using if for more then three months. Otherwise I leave it on all the time.
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, winter