Old 11-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #1

How long does your propane last?

I realize this is subject to how much you work the furnace, whether you use the stove, and if you're using the gas water heater, (and your propane tank size of course) but generally speaking, with temps say in the 30's or 40's at night, and keeping the thermostat around 68 or so....how long should the propane hold out?

We almost always use an electric heater (in our case, one of those oil-filled jobs) and supplement that with the furnace if necessary. When using the electric heater, we sometimes use a small floor fan set on low to just distribute the heat in the coach.

Curious how others heat their coaches in cold weather. If you use an electric heater, where to you place it?

Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #2

I would have to guess about a week if using full time. The tank is 24.5 gallons. You could also get one of those Ts and use the regular bottle tanks if you run out. We have kids and it would be tough having the oil filled heaters laying around. If it were just the wife and me, I would use an oil filled in the bedroom and one in the kitchen area.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #3

Alparmmer -If I recall, I think you are in Florida now (?) ....so hopefully you don't need any heat!
Old 11-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #4

Oh no, it's really nice down here. Heading back on Saturday

We decided to move to FL though
Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
I realize this is subject to how much you work the furnace, whether you use the stove, and if you're using the gas water heater, (and your propane tank size of course) but generally speaking, with temps say in the 30's or 40's at night, and keeping the thermostat around 68 or so....how long should the propane hold out? We almost always use an electric heater (in our case, one of those oil-filled jobs) and supplement that with the furnace if necessary. When using the electric heater, we sometimes use a small floor fan set on low to just distribute the heat in the coach. Curious how others heat their coaches in cold weather. If you use an electric heater, where to you place it?
Be careful using anything other than the furnace in below freezing weather. The furnace has small ducts that feed into the water connection compartment (where your hose connections and water filter are) and it keeps it above freezing. Even when using on board tank water, the compartment needs to remain above freezing.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Be careful using anything other than the furnace in below freezing weather. The furnace has small ducts that feed into the water connection compartment (where your hose connections and water filter are) and it keeps it above freezing. Even when using on board tank water, the compartment needs to remain above freezing.
I've heard of this on other coaches, but have yet to confirm it on Georgetowns. I haven't seen with my own eyes any ducts that feed the fresh water or wet bay, but I'd love it if there are! Have you seen these ducts? Having said that, I keep a 60 watt trouble light inside the wet bay when temps drop in the 20s or less, which keeps it a nice toasty 45-plus in there.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

On our 5er I wired a switch on the furnace blower and use an EdenPure electric heater inside and just run the furnace blower to circulate the air thru the floor ducts. Got down to 24° last night and with the furnace blower going, the basement was 40°.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
On our 5er I wired a switch on the furnace blower and use an EdenPure electric heater inside and just run the furnace blower to circulate the air thru the floor ducts. Got down to 24° last night and with the furnace blower going, the basement was 40°.
Good idea - it's all about circulation. This suggests that there are indeed ducts of some kind into the basement area where there are fresh water connections.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

We'll be doing the same thing that OC mentioned. Since we have a heat pump (ceiling ducted), fireplace and small electric heater, those can easily keep the coach warm and toasty. Just fire up the fan for the furnace and get better air circulation (always a good thing) and heat the basement and belly.

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43D18 View Post
I've heard of this on other coaches, but have yet to confirm it on Georgetowns. I haven't seen with my own eyes any ducts that feed the fresh water or wet bay, but I'd love it if there are! Have you seen these ducts? Having said that, I keep a 60 watt trouble light inside the wet bay when temps drop in the 20s or less, which keeps it a nice toasty 45-plus in there.
While I have not seen the ducts, I was advised they were there so I fired up the furnace on a cold day and went to the bay and I could feel warm air coming into the bay. So, yes, it is definitely heated.

Tags
propane