Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 AM   #1

How long should the house batteries last while dry camping?

We have been full timing now for almost 2 years in a 2015 GT 328. While dry camping I seem to be noticing that the charge for the house batteries does not seem to last more then 18 hours, powering only the residential refrigerator and maybe a few of the LED ceiling lights. Also after recharging the batteries, using the generator, the charge seems to last even less.

I am wondering if it is time to consider replacing the batteries but would appreciate hearing from other experiences. The fluid levels are fine. The manufacture date of the coach is April 2014 so I know the batteries are at least 3 years old.

Any input would be appreciated.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

how many and what type of batteries? i'm assuming two 12 volt batteries. if you are getting 18 hours running the refrigerator I would consider that good. and recharging them from the generator probably is not getting them fully charged as it would take many hours to get a full recharge on them. there are many other posts about this topic that you may want to read as this is a pretty common concern with people that have the residential refrigerator and dry camp. search for these posts
Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have 4 12 volt batteries. I will also search this thread on the board.

THX

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Old 07-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #4

I am no expert in this! I had problems with 2 12 volt batteries running the refrigerator just overnight. but I have learned quite a bit since then. if you are getting 18 hours why don't you run the generator to charge up the batteries as much as you can in the evening and let them run the refrigerator overnight. then plan on running the generator again in the morning. I wouldn't let them go 18 hours and getting them heavily discharged. run the generator morning and night so they only have to go 10 hours or so without a recharge. i'm thinking that this will keep them going. but I am not the expert. there are many much more knowledgeable people that have posted all kinds of advice and warnings on this subject. as to whether to just go out and replace the existing batteries I can't tell. i'd see how they respond with the morning and evening recharges. another option would be to install a battery monitor that can give you a pretty detailed picture of the battery status. many people mention the monitor from bogart engineering. I have absolutely no experience with it or any monitors other than a simple dc voltmeter.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #5

The CO2 detector may be the culprit.
sholdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

The CO2 detector... I never thought of that. Someone else in one of the threads also mentioned the ice maker.

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Old 07-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #7

What kind of 12v battery do you have? Compare your amp hour/reserve capacity to greater capacity batteries that are in the same size group. It won't be cheap but its likely you could add a lot more reserve capacity. And while you are at it consider AGMs which can withstand frequent deep discharges much better than lead acid batteries and also eliminate having to worry about water level in the batteries.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #8

Good electrical education

Picked up:

RV Electrical Systems by
Bill and Jan Moeller

Everything you need to know

Have fun!
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:51 PM   #9

Running a refrigerator off batteries is a difficult task, if you expect the batteries to last long. Once you discharge a lead/acid battery below 50% you are taking away future capacity. Yes, even "Deep Cycle" batteries.

The solution is to have as large as is physically practical so they aren't totally depleted before the next charging opportunity presents itself. I had a friend that not only had batteries under the floor, accessed from the entry step well but also two extra's under the hood and converted some storage to add another group 8D Deep cycle (enclosed and vented of course). Several hundred pounds of batteries. Large battery banks to require either larger charging systems or more time to fill them up however.

Another tip is to keep the refrigerator draw to a minimum. Keep the freezer compartment as full as possible even if just with a couple of milk jugs filled with water. Likewise the refrigerator compartment.

Keeping large "masses" cool in each compartment creates a thermal inertia. When the door is opened and warm air enters, the cool "mass" within provides some cooling and keeps the compressor from kicking on to replace the cold air as quick. One can also rotate frozen milk jugs from the freezer into the refrigerator when running on battery. Re-freeze them when shore power is available.

In an older travel trailer, albeit with an AC/Propane refrigerator, I was able to squeeze a week out of the group 27 deep cycle battery with the old type lighting and a power hungry water pump. Closest power hookup was 23 miles away.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #10

With your batteries three years old, and especially depending on how their discharge cycles have been managed, it could very well be time to replace. Consider replacing with good quality 6V batteries that have a lot of amp hours. More importantly, make sure to maintain the charge on those batteries, manage their usage so that you are not going below 50% capacity. Batteries that are discharged to a very low level, over several cycles, are seriously compromised in their capacity, regardless of being deep cycle batteries. They have to be managed. A simple solution for this, in between or in lieu of generator use, is a properly sized solar panel that continually charges your battery. Of course, you need to make sure you are properly measuring battery usage level.
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
Read "handy Bob solar", both most informative and entertaining, and you will be well-versed in batteries and solar. It is the authority on power management while dry camping.
2016 nights camped: 7, wife was pregnant
2015 nights camped: 29
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulbok View Post
The CO2 detector... I never thought of that. Someone else in one of the threads also mentioned the ice maker.
The CO ( Carbon monoxide) / propane detector draw is insignificant compared to the fridge and other items. it only comes into play usually when sitting for a time in storage. If you plan to do a lot of off the grid camping, you should consider a good Battery monitor. How long batteries ( even good ones) will last is dependent on how much current you are using and how much you put back. If you draw the batteries down significantly at night you will need a good 6-8 hours on generator to recharge. Remember the battery panel in the coach will not accurately monitor the battery voltage when charging as the charge voltage has to be higher than the battery voltage to work. The battery voltage is best checked with a meter after sitting for and hour or two after charging. The other thing to be careful of is continuously drawing the batteries below 50%. Doing this will eventually destroy their ability to hold a full charge despite the fact that they show charged.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #12

18 hours sound pretty good if Battery's are over 3 years old ???
I have been looking @ replacing my 2 12v battery's,,, but we Boondock 1 day a year,,,
so not sure if I am going to ???
Walmart seams to have some pretty good prices ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

2 things

1 your batteries might be getting weak depending how many times they have been drain almost dead .

2 solar solar SOLAR get you a decent solar set up you wont regret it . I just boondocked 11 nights on 1 group 24 deep cycle and had no issues . Between the solar all day and firing up the generator in the am for coffee my battery kicked butt for 11 nights.

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
2 things

1 your batteries might be getting weak depending how many times they have been drain almost dead .

2 solar solar SOLAR get you a decent solar set up you wont regret it . I just boondocked 11 nights on 1 group 24 deep cycle and had no issues . Between the solar all day and firing up the generator in the am for coffee my battery kicked butt for 11 nights.
Sounds like one kick ass battery !!!
Is it a Motorcraft ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, camping, dry camping