Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

how many watts for surround sound speakers

My RCA RTD317 is dead in water, pretty bad considering I never used it, 16 months. Does anyone know how many watts the ceiling speakers will support? Thinking of replacement with a stronger system and blu ray player. Has anyone else done this? If so photos would be great.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #2

I replaced my RCA with a Sony all in one system I bought as an open box buy at Best Buy about 2 months after buying the coach. Been using it for almost a year and a half with no problem. As long as you don't listin to it at high levels you should not have a problem.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours14 View Post
I replaced my RCA with a Sony all in one system I bought as an open box buy at Best Buy about 2 months after buying the coach. Been using it for almost a year and a half with no problem. As long as you don't listin to it at high levels you should not have a problem.
That RCA surround sound is a $149 piece of junk.
I need to replace mine also. What SONY model did yo get?
Did you use the existing speakers or added new?
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

The model I used was a Sony BDV-E570 all in one Blu-Ray player. I used the Blu-Ray version because that’s all we watch now. I used the existing speakers and sub box and the sound is good, not great but good enough for the MH. I put the RCA in my garage with the speakers that came with the Sony. One more thing the model we purchased also has wifi so I can stream netflix also.
concours14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #5

My 09' 378 didn't have a RCA system, but it was still a piece of crap and so were the speakers and sub. I replaced all the original A/V equipment including the TV. I used a separate surround receiver and disc player, new speakers and a powered sub. If your interested in my install, I will post the details and photos later. It may be a few days though, as I'm in the middle of a house move.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
My 09' 378 didn't have a RCA system, but it was still a piece of crap and so were the speakers and sub. I replaced all the original A/V equipment including the TV. I used a separate surround receiver and disc player, new speakers and a powered sub. If your interested in my install, I will post the details and photos later. It may be a few days though, as I'm in the middle of a house move.
I'm interested because my RCA won't play DVD and is being replaced with the same I think. The RCA is a piece of junk. Pictures would be great especially the new speakers in the ceiling.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #7

I would think if you took the ceiling speakers out and to an audio store like Best Buy they should be able to match up something that will fit the openings. Sub Woofer should be no problem except for new mounting holes perhaps.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #8

For a small investment in electronics and minimal equipment at least you could cover the sound spectrum with quality speakers and amplifier. Nothing I hate more that distortionand underpowered amplifier straining to accomplish any recognizable passageway.
The RV industry should at least make the effort to use semidecent components as the higher end autos do. Aftermarket is the best obviously but I have had a few cars with some very impressive audio systems from the manufacturer.
Why are RV always a piece of junk?
The ceilings mounts are prewired and the connections are straightforward. I really want to add a Blu ray as the first mod .Just match up the ohms and max wattage.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

You can get the Jensen unit that is most of the new trailers for around $350 on amazon. Seems expensive for what it is. But it has DVD, ipod connector and HDMI
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #10

I would'nt consider Jensen as a higher end unit.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #11

I just want to replace mt cheap RCA with a good sounding system that has the clips in the back for the speakers. If it has a DVD that OK but mandatory.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #12

Iggy, I was in Walmart yesterday and they have a Panasonic complete unit for $168.00. 500w, I will be buying one soon as I get my unit back from ford shop. I just posted about a TSB on the rear suspension brackets.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Just a random thought for you guys. Has anyone thought to investigate the quality/gauge of the speaker wire used by FR. Before going and spending a lot of money, that is.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Just a random thought for you guys. Has anyone thought to investigate the quality/gauge of the speaker wire used by FR. Before going and spending a lot of money, that is.

The standed copper that they use is a good standard size. Couldn't tell you off the AWG but its not telephone wire. I will check next time.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by copsuno View Post
Iggy, I was in Walmart yesterday and they have a Panasonic complete unit for $168.00. 500w, I will be buying one soon as I get my unit back from ford shop. I just posted about a TSB on the rear suspension brackets.
I will also give them a visit. Tell me Copsuno did the amplifier unit have HDMI inputs for a Blu ray DVD and HDMI or digital outputs for sound from the sources?
500w would be 100x 5 correct? was there a separate sub woofer channel?
Sorry to bother you with specs
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #16

Back in the day when I used to read Consumer Reports Panasonic products were always highly rated in regards quality and durability. I have been a big fan of their stuff since.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #17

The unit I looked at had all the speakers, which would be left-overs, and sub. the unit similar to the rca had a 3D/blu ray dvd and the correct speaker wires. Will run back by and let you know the model number.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #18

Here are some pics of my install. Sorry it took so long. The hardest part of changing out the stock speakers is finding half-way decent speakers that will fit. It was not too difficult to increase the diameter of the cut out. Mounting depth is the problem. There is only about 2" of space in the ceiling of the coach before you poke a hole in the roof. I ended buying Clarion marine speakers for the ceiling( not the best from an Audiophile point of view, but much better than what was there). The subwoofer is a Pinnacle( nice unit for the size and money). The amp, DVD and TV are all Sony.
Note that I popped the glass out of the overhead compartment door. With it up it blocks the speaker. With it closed, it's way too hot. Poor speaker placement on the part of FR.
Attached Images

Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
ME

Wow I have been thinking the same thing about replacements but want the ipod hdmi wireless hook ups so we can watch movies off our stuff but not good at finding what will work. What has everyone else done?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 AM   #20

R.C.A. = Real Crap Always never had great luck with rca products
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote