Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #41

Triton V10 seeing is believing!!

I read and read and read some more before buying. I was concerned but after 5000 miles in 3 months of tooling up and down the east coast - lots of expressways - lots of 2 lanes roads - my verdict is in. I been towing the DW's 2013 Explorer flat and cruising at speeds at about 68-70 on expressways and the Triton V10 is a real hoss!!

Now - can it get bit noisy - yep. When you are in cruise control at 65, start up a hill and don't grab the gas manually - yep it gets a little noisy until you drive manually. But strong - no problem.

I did the CHF - inflated the tires correctly and my Georgie 351 is a beast. No walking around, no drift. Even in high winds, it is no longer a white knuckler.

There are definitely some advantages to the pusher but I gotta say it isn't worth the cost differential.

PS: I would love to have the 378 but with all the grand kids - the 351 is best. We've spent about 70 days in the last 120 in our home on wheels - love it.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #42

Thanks to all who commented. Only found this forum about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It's already been extremely helpful! I stay in my motorhome when working which amounts to about half the year. It's almost a year I am working that way! I really love my motorhome!

Old 02-07-2015, 01:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcamper View Post
I will let you know how the v10 does as we will be going right through that area from North end to the south end, very soon.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Great! I'll be waiting. When are you going?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #44

We have been very pleased with the V 10 towing our Jeep Wrangler. No grade in the west has stopped us....slowed us down maybe! The braking is always more fun. Use the tow haul button, remember to only tap the brakes, and sometimes pucker a bit!

Flat land next. Texas to NOLA onto Key West. Have fun!!

2014 GT 378 XL
Old 02-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #45

Disagree with being in "tow haul" mode ALL the time when towing my DW's RAV4 on our dolly, even on flat lands. Believe the intent is for engine braking on down grades and preventing the tranny from over working seeking lower gears on up grades. Using tow haul the entire time will eliminate the use of the 5th gear over drive. Traveling from WNY State to Atlanta last summer there wasn't a hill or mountain that I couldn't maintain at least 55mph, and Kentucky and northern Tennessee can be pretty darn hilly.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #46
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Disagree with being in "tow haul" mode ALL the time when towing my DW's RAV4 on our dolly, even on flat lands. Believe the intent is for engine braking on down grades and preventing the tranny from over working seeking lower gears on up grades. Using tow haul the entire time will eliminate the use of the 5th gear over drive. Traveling from WNY State to Atlanta last summer there wasn't a hill or mountain that I couldn't maintain at least 55mph, and Kentucky and northern Tennessee can be pretty darn hilly.

....this was my thought as well....I go to tow haul going up the hill and down....small rolls are optional but tow haul is even more of a gas guzzler on open flat land and I do see any advantage to using it.

WDK
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #47

I like TowHaul for the engine braking in traffic. On fairly level expressway - straight up drive.