Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
How much slope can the levelers handle?

Our campsite has a gradual slope from back to front and I'm wondering whether the auto-levelers will be able to handle this or whether to use some boards in the front to lift the RV up prior to leveling?

EricBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
The only way to really know is to try the levelers and see what happens. I found many times that a slight slope is too much for the levelers to compensate so I carry 1' squares of plywood and a set of the plastic leveling blocks. I make sure that if the wheels are off the ground that I put the wood and/or blocks under them to provide support.

Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Can you put the blocks under the leveler feet? Or if there is too much slope are you out of luck and need to park the rv on blocks?
EricBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
I've used blocks under the front jacks and the wheels. I've had a front wheel off the ground at times also. Just make sure never to get a rear wheel off the ground and lose your parking brake.
Ron Hanson
2009 Georgetown 350TS (bunks)
400W solar, 440AH 6V GC2
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
I have found that the levelers aren't the panacea of greatness I had thought they would be when I didn't have them. Most gas rigs have a rake to them, meaning they are a bit higher in the rear when loaded and going down the road. Therefore when you park even on perfectly level ground you are starting out of level from back to front. The levelers are set to get the floor perfectly level and in doing so can and do lift the tires off the ground. As stated above you never want the rears off the ground. I also tend to not like the "auto" feature too much on ours as it takes too long for the computer to recoginize that the levelers have made contact with the ground (auto ground sensing) and will put the rig even further out of level causing it to have to compensate by lowering the opposing jacks further. I have bubbles mounted on my driver door and dash and prefer to level the rig myself as I can tell better than the computer if the jacks have touched ground. Like the others here I also carry some leveling blocks but usually will drive the tires up on them rather than use them under the jacks where needed.
"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote