Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #21

Well, I only reiterated what others (Iggy/BillMFI etc.) before my input had mentioned. Glad you got er goin.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #22

Now, where did that 3 quarts of hydraulic fluid go...

Keep an eye on the level to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #23

Yes, we're doing this. The tech people at Lippert Hydraulic Slideout System guided us through the "fluid filling procedure" for filling the ATF reservoir. In our coach, the reservoir is separate from the reservoir for engine transmission fluid.

We discovered that the fluid level was so low that at first we thought that 2 quarts would be sufficient. But after putting 2 quarts of Mercon 5 into the reservoir, the level barely rose above the 1/2 mark. Therefore, we added a third quart of Mercon V (5) to the reservoir. This took the level in the reservoir level to somewhere between 1/2" and 1/4" from the top of the reservoir container.

After doing this, we lowered the jacks. Then, we extended the large slideout. Then, we extended the smaller (bedroom) slideout. All three performed much better than they previously did. We checked the ground under the RV to see if there was evidence of leakage of ATF. We saw none. We're checking this periodically to see if this result holds.

I understand your comment. We were surprised by the extremely low level of ATF that we found in the hydraulic slideout system reservoir.

Hopefully, what we did will resolve this problem for the coach.

NOTE:

We bought the coach in 4/2014. The odometer read 11,485 miles. It now reads about 35,000 miles.

According to the "sales dealer," we were the second owners of the coach. Our experience with fixing problems with the coach might suggest why the original owners "ran like hell" from the coach. Unfortunately, when we tried to ask Forest River for help/guidance with repairing the RV, they would not talk with us since we were "second" owners rather than "original" owners.

After spending a lot of $$$ fixing problems with the coach, we feel like we may be reaching a point where MAJOR PROBLEMS have been resolved. However, we're still fighting inside "water leaks" from rain storms. Plus, we have discovered numerous DESIGN PROBLEMS with the coach, especially with the TOPPER that supposedly covers/protects the "super slide." Whoever designed this part of the our coach should be destined to "sing soprano."

We've thought about selling the coach and buying something newer. However, overall, we like the design of the coach and the "comfort" changes that we have made to the coach interior.

We're either crazy to keep the coach or crazy/stupid not to get rid of the coach. We haven't reached the "walk away" point yet.

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Respectfully,

Rick Lillie
ricklillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #24

This has been a great thread with some very good advice. Too bad your 337 has given you problems. We have a 2011 337XL with the super slide and now 35k miles and luckily have not had any major problems, just some frustration once from a loose wire on the hydraulic motor that made retraction of the slides intermittent. Was hard to troubleshoot but easy to fix.
The only suggestion I would add is that if you ever use the manual leveling buttons use each one in small increments, like the auto leveling does.
If you try to raise one corner a large amount, then another, the RV can have a tendency to twist and can make slides bind, particularly the super slide.
Thanks to your info I have found my fluid level to be about 2 inches low, I will get some Mercron5 as u suggest
Good luck in the future
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
This has been a great thread with some very good advice. Too bad your 337 has given you problems. We have a 2011 337XL with the super slide and now 35k miles and luckily have not had any major problems, just some frustration once from a loose wire on the hydraulic motor that made retraction of the slides intermittent. Was hard to troubleshoot but easy to fix.
The only suggestion I would add is that if you ever use the manual leveling buttons use each one in small increments, like the auto leveling does.
If you try to raise one corner a large amount, then another, the RV can have a tendency to twist and can make slides bind, particularly the super slide.
Thanks to your info I have found my fluid level to be about 2 inches low, I will get some Mercron5 as u suggest
Good luck in the future
Hi Jim. Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

The automatic leveling feature works sporadically. We have not been able to get it to work consistently. As a result, we level manually. We agree that doing this needs to be done in short spurts, otherwise the coach could twist and make slides bind. To test leveling before opening the slides, we open/close the bathroom door and the main entry/exit door to see if the open/close easily. If a door sticks, we adjust the leveling as needed.

On our latest trip, we experienced the super slide extending and then stopping. Then, it would neither extend further nor retract. The only thing we could do at that point was to retract all jacks. Once the jacks were retracted, the super slide began to work again.

Your coach and ours are about the same mileage age. A few of the problems we've encountered include:

-->Ceiling throughout the coach sagging....needing to be re-glued. Forest River did share with us that in 2011 there were problems with the "glue" used to affix the ceiling material throughout the coach. They suggested that we go to Home Depot and buy a can of spray glue. We did this and re-glued several parts of the coach ceiling.

A frustrating part of this is that sections of the ceiling material would shrink a bit when re-glued. This caused some ceiling sections NOT to be covered by the white plastic strips that cover the seams between adjacent ceiling panels. Hope this makes sense.

We're tried to find wider plastic strips to resolve this problem. So far, we've had no luck with finding larger plastic strips. Suggestions will be most welcome.

-->Super slide topper does not keep water from top of slide structure. We have had to replace the super slide topper. The topper does NOT extend beyond the ends of the slide structure. As a result, there is an open space between the top of the slide structure and the extended topper at each end of the super slide. This open space allows rain to come in under the topper. There is no drain feature to enable accumulated water to drain off the top of the super slide structure. As a result, the accumulated water can leak into the inside of the coach by running down the sides of the super slide structure inside the coach. Have you experienced this type of problem?

These are two examples of problems that we have experienced with our coach. We've also had problems with Dometic refrigerator performance and sliding shower door panels constantly coming off the curved tracks. For these problems, we came up with our own solutions to solve the problems.

Finally, in order to improve the "driving" of the coach, we....

-->Repaired the front sway bar.

-->Upgraded the rear sway bar by adding an auxiliary sway bar to include with the original one for added strength.

-->Upgraded the rear track bar to aid in rear end movement.

-->Installed a super steer rear V10 F53 track bar.

The above changes and upgrades really improved the driving experience of the coach. This work was expensive but worth the investment.

We would appreciate hearing about your experiences with your 2011 Georgetown.

Best wishes,

Rick Lillie
Old 09-22-2017, 12:56 PM   #26

Interesting info. I did the cheap handling fix, not much else with the suspension, but no problems. The additional sway bar sounds interesting.
I am going to install a Banks power system to the RV soon. We pull a 4400 pound pickup with a 1000 lb bike on a lot of mountain roads. We got the 337 for among other reasons that it has a 6000 lb towing capacity.
I have run it across the scales and the coach loaded is 20k and the GVWR is 26k so it pulls the truck and bike fairly well.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #27

We like the 337 coach. It's big and powerful enough to do what we want to do. Some people have suggested that we should upgrade to a diesel driven coach. I'm not a fan of a diesel coach because diesel is more complex than I want to deal with.

One of the "inside" changes that we made was to remove the small sofa from the living room area. We replaced it with two Scandinavian design recliner chairs with a stand and lamp in between the chairs. We purchased two Newport Taupe Swivel Recliner and Slanted Ottoman sets from Lamps Plus. Very comfortable and inexpensive improvements to the living room area of the coach.

We tow a Honda CRV behind the RV. This arrangement gives us more flexibility for doing things when we travel.

Enjoyed your comments.

Rick Lillie
Old 09-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #28

I also removed that uncomfortable pull out sofa from my 2012 360. Hard as a rock! Now have room for two nice sized dog crates, a swivel chair and an end table/magazine rack. I put the sofa in my tv/man cave for not so welcome company to sleep on. That way they don't stay as long. Just joking. Or not.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
I also removed that uncomfortable pull out sofa from my 2012 360. Hard as a rock! Now have room for two nice sized dog crates, a swivel chair and an end table/magazine rack. I put the sofa in my tv/man cave for not so welcome company to sleep on. That way they don't stay as long. Just joking. Or not.
Enjoyed your comment about the alternative use for the sofa.

My Dad liked "signs" very much. He had one in his den that said "If we get to drinking Sunday afternoon and start insisting that you stay until Tuesday, please remember...we don't mean it."

The super slide is a major feature of our 2011 337 coach that we like. When both slides (i.e., super slide and bedroom) are extended, this provides an enormous amount of room inside the coach. I've joked with friends that when the slides are out, we have more living space than I had in my first apartment in Chicago. The layout is pleasant and very comfortable.

Rick Lillie
Old 09-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #30

I hear ya Rick. As a married student at UW Madison we and our baby lived in a tiny upstairs apartment with half the room our 360 has. Wife liked the king size bed and bath and a half (I get the half bath) and I liked the long slide living room and 3 tv's. Never miss a play no matter which room I'm in. Sorry my Tampa Bay abused the Bears! But after a lot of losing seasons we are hoping for a big year.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:28 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
Nope. It says turn engine key to "on" position and set parking brake before leveling.
Yes, mine says parking brake, and engine must be running.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #32

I recently had similar problem and discovered a loose wire connection on my hydrolic motor , problem solved , my hydrolic motor on my 2013 378 Georgetown motor is under my entry steps next to battery's.
gpci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, slide