Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

How to fill up fresh water tank?

On my old class C, the fresh water tank was filled in thru an opening where I could either put in a garden hose, with or without a small hose attached to it, and fill it up. When dry camping and not having access to a hose, but having access to a faucet, I could use one of these water jugs that I bought from Wal-Mart to fill it back up if needed.

On my 377, the opening for the fresh water tank seems to have some kind of back stop, not to mention it is at an odd angle, for anything like this water jug to work. Does anyone know how I can add more water in the tank when dry camping if I do not have access to a hose?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #2

I obviously did something wrong because the picture of the water jug does not show. But if you click on the square, it will take you to Wal-Mart's web site where you can see the picture.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #3

Could you use the antifreeze line (pump in bypass) then outdoor shower head to the fresh water fill. I've got an adapter 3/4 MH to 1/2 MIP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	62413  
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #4

Adapter on outdoor shower.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	185
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	62415  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Adapter package from Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	219
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	62416  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #6

Pump in bypass connected to fresh water
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	197
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	62417  
Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
Dazed & Confused

Get yourself one of these. I installed longer leads on mine, otherwise it's great straight from HF. 12 Volt Utility Water Pump
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:36 AM   #8

Thanks, I appreciate the info.

I am not very handy so I am having a hard time picturing how these options work.

Chill960: I am assuming I attach the adapter to the outdoor shower head and then attach that to the fresh water tank, correct? But, then what? Since I live out West in Cali we, or at least I, don't use the anti-freeze bypass, and as a result not quite sure how that end of it all works.

MEHoffman: Do I attach one end with a hose to the fresh water tank fill, and attach a hose to the other end of the pump and just put it in the water jug or whatever my water source is and pump in the water that way from my water jug/source? If that's the way, I like that. Do you just hook the pump up to your chasis battery?
Old 09-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #9
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakeel View Post

MEHoffman: Do I attach one end with a hose to the fresh water tank fill, and attach a hose to the other end of the pump and just put it in the water jug or whatever my water source is and pump in the water that way from my water jug/source? If that's the way, I like that. Do you just hook the pump up to your chasis battery?
Yes that is exactly what you do. I use my truck battery as the battery on my current TT is tough to access. That is also why I extended the leads on the pump.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
Anacortesians

Yours looks similar to my '02 Georgetown except both the city water hook-up and the fresh-water tank fill on mine are female garden hose couplers. I usually fill the FW tank at home before a trip because we have such good quality city water here. I just run the white hose from an outdoor faucet to the "fresh-water fill" connection and fill the tank. The tank, which is translucent plastic, is in a bedroom closet, so I can see how much I've filled it.

We rarely have to use CG city hook-up for a refill as we use CG water for everything except drinking and making tea and coffee.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #11

Thanks MEHoffman. That seems to be the way to go.

F&E, I agree and usually do the same. The issue comes up if dry camping for an extended period, with no access to a CG city hook-up in your site, and you end up using all the water in your FW tank and need to replenish it. Some/most dry campgrounds still have a faucet somewhere in the campground, and although you are not allowed to attach a hose to it and fill up your FW tank directly (at least in the ones I have been to) you can fill up a jug and haul the water back to your RV. In the old Class C I could just pour the water into the FW tank from the jug. In my new MH, and I suspect in yours, we don't have that option anymore. The pump MEHoffman suggests will do the trick of getting the water from the jug into the FW tank.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakeel View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the info.

I am not very handy so I am having a hard time picturing how these options work.

Chill960: I am assuming I attach the adapter to the outdoor shower head and then attach that to the fresh water tank, correct? But, then what? Since I live out West in Cali we, or at least I, don't use the anti-freeze bypass, and as a result not quite sure how that end of it all works.
vakeel: You already have a pump capable of doing what you need to do tapped into your 12v system and yes with that adapter you simply remove the shower head, add the adapter and screw it on to your fresh water fill. Turn the pump on and suck from what ever water source you desire. Worst case, a valve needs to be installed just before the pump and an additional short length of hose. Turn the valve one way and it sucks from your fresh water tank, turn it the other way and it sucks from any water source, i.e. a water bottle as in my picture.

Just check to make sure you don't already have this in your pump cabinet, but I understand a MH in California may not need to suck plumber's antifreeze into the plumbing system.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #13

Chill960: Thanks. I think I am getting it. I believe I have the valve in the outside compartment. I'll go to storage, check and make sure, and I have a feeling once I am standing there looking at it the whole thing will make a lot more sense.

Well, at least I thought I got it until I did a quick search for winterizing and came across this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-22426.html

So now my question is this (keeping in mind I have never winterized so I don't know how that process works): Assuming I have the little white valve you talk about that I can see in your picture with your water jug, and I have the hose with the threaded plug that Iggy mentions in the above thread, would I still need to do the adapter to the shower head to FW tank on the other end, or would I be able to just put the hose with the threaded end that Iggy mentions in the water jug and turn the pump on? [See VinceU's post toward the bottom of the first page on the above thread that essentially says the same thing as you.]

I am assuming the answer is no, and I am missing a critical step but I have no idea what I am missing.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #14

You will turn the valve at the pump (which is a selector to chose between sucking from your freshwater tank and the 'antifreeze' hose), remove the threaded plug from the 'antifreeze' hose, insert the 'antifreeze' hose into your water jug, connect your outdoor shower with the adapter to your fresh water fill, open the outdoor shower cold water tap and turn on your pump. Make sure no other taps are open as it will pump out that tap.

I hope that clears it up.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #15

It does. Thank you very much.

If I did not have the pump, MEHoffman's way would definitely do the trick. But now that as you pointed out I already have a pump, your way is the way to go.

Thanks again to everyone for all your help. That's why I love this site.

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank