Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
I have to agree with Dan and Windrider on the Sta-Bil. I started using it in the motorhome just before winter this year. I made sure to start and run the generator to insure that the Sta-Bil treated gas got to it and it's carb. As we tend to use our rig on the spur of the moment even in winter I don't want to drain the gas and "winterize" the generator. I noticed a HUGE difference in starting the generator after it had sat with the gas/Stabil mix for 2.5 months over just plain gas as in the past. It roared to life right away.

It's a must in most boat outboards now too as the Ethanol in our gas is playing havoc with them.

"I can fix it, and if I can't fix it, I can fix it so no one can fix it!"
Ed & Wendy
2009 Georgetown 378TS | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | 1998 Skeeter ZX202C
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Has anybody had any problems just letting their generator sit in storage over the winter months and not starting it once per month for 30 minutes.

FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Fuel stabilizers got a bad rap a years ago when ethanol was mixed with gas. Sta-Bil and SeaFoam are now formulated to handle ethanol. I use SaeFoam on all my engine powered tools and toys that need to be stored. The only one that hav egiven me a problem are the ones that I forgot to add the stabilizer.

I would put in the required amount per the instructions on the can.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Originally Posted by FLSTC
Has anybody had any problems just letting their generator sit in storage over the winter months and not starting it once per month for 30 minutes.

Either the Genny on my used 2005 Georgetown was left in storage Or not run frequently or no fuel stabilizer was used. As a result, I had to have the carb removed, and the varnish removed. Since then I have run it regularly and used fuel stabilizer over longer storage periods and have no problems.

I agree with KY DAN, I had boat for 15 years and used stabilizer every winter with great results... And, by the way, I start and run the MH engine periodically as well.

I also put stabilizer in my car that sits home while we are in Florida.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
I always run both main chassis engine and gen engine, both gas every 3 weeks or so over the winter, keeps all batteries up and lubricates all engine parts regularly which is a good thing.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
If you can get to it and start it, I would do that every 2 weeks and don't worry about any fuel stabilizer. Having to clean the carb on one of those things is not fun.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
WE have decide to started the gen and eng. motor once a month for some time this will keep all working well we think.

trell is offline   Reply With Quote