Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #1

Smile How to prepare Generator when putting into Storage for 6 months

Hi Everyone: I recently purchased a 330 Georgetown and have been reading the manuals. It has a Onan generator and some of the information talks about using a Premium Fuel System Cleaner to prevent fuel varnishing. There will likely be periods of time (3-4 months) that I will not be using the motorhome. Any information would be helpful.
blackshadowk1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #2

Drain the fuel out of the gas tank and then start and run the engine to get all the fuel out of the fuel lines and carburetor.
(If fuel sits for a long time it ages and residues can form that may plug the small fuel jets in the carburetor. Removing the gasoline eliminates this problem.)
After running the engine out of gas and letting it cool, take the spark plug out of the cylinder and squirt or pour about a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder. With the spark plug wire off, use the starter to turn the engine over a couple of times to distribute the oil over the internal surfaces of the cylinder and piston. Re-install the spark plug.

When you're ready to use the generator, add fuel to the tank and you're ready to go.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Milzat, good info for a portable gas engine. I'm not familiar with the GEORGETOWN generator setup, but if it is diesel, or uses fuel out of the coach tank, then your procedure may not work.

Blackshadowk1937,
Please tell us whether the genny is gas or diesel, or propane, as Onan makes all three, and whether it has its' own fuel supply or uses fuel from the coach tank?
After re-reading your post, and the premium fuel system cleaner, Im almost ready to assume the genny is gas, but still not sure of fuel supply. Some folks put STABIL in the fuel system to prevent fuel varnishing, but as a mechanic, I just use premium fuel before storage. Works on lawn mowers, weed eaters, chain saws, all my small engines. Usually cheaper than additives in the long run, and I don't ever run them out of fuel. People that do see few problems also, but as with many things in life, your mileage may vary.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #4

Windrider it is a gas generator.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #5

Hi Windrider: thanks for the information, the genny is built in and fuel supply is gas same as motorhome.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #6

Never had good results with STA-BIL fuel stabilizer.

I store ALL my gas powered engines the way I explained, and NEVER had problems when placing back into service.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Milzat,

Didn't mean to upset anyone, just explaining what I have success in doing as you explained what you have success in doing. Now that we know the genny is using the motor home fuel tank, treating with STABIL probably is not an option, and I don't have any affiliation with them, and premium fuel could get expensive. Sounds like the best way is to stop the fuel flow to the genny, and run it out of gas. Hopefully there is a fuel shut off valve that will accomplish this. If not a pair of hose pinch pliers may have to be used. Then remove plug and follow Milzat's advice in post #2. Just keep the fuel supply hose pinched off, or the fuel valve off, until you have added oil in the cylinder and and turned the engine over. This sounds like your best option, based on your situation, there may be other options not yet explored.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #8

When storing my Georgetown over winter it sat for 5 months. I added Stabil to the main tank and topped it off with gas and ran the generator long enough to make sure it had a taste of the new fuel. I always did this with my motorcycles also which sit over winter and never had any problems. If I was storing for much longer periods I would do something more like Mike's procedure. It certainly wouldn't hurt.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #9
Site Team

I must disagree about the sta-bil.
I had 2 pleasure boats over a 16 year period.
Both were inboard/outdrive 4 cylinder "Chevy II" block carbureted
engines.
Since we were pleasure boaters we only boated in warm season.
Thus the boats sat from near Labor day at the end of summer up
to first trip in the spring around May.

I always filled the tank with fresh gas and the required amount
of Sta-bil in the fall. I ran the engine so the treated gas got into
the carb. We had good luck every year but one.....
I didn't use stabilizer and that spring the engine was very difficult
to start and ran like crap until I got that tank of gas used up.
Also the gas at the carb smelled fowl and stale, not like normal
gas.

Premium gas will go bad just as fast as regular grade.
Non methanol blends "might" last longer.
Stabilized gas can last up to a year and still be OK.

YMMV.
It worked for me for many years.

IF the genny has a fuel shut off, I'd shut it off and run it until
it quits for any storage over 2 months.

If the motor home is going to sit with the same gas
in the tank for 6 months I believe sta-bil is cheap
protection.
Also note- sta-bil has a shelf life itself. Check the label.

My 2¢
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Another strange thing just came to mind here, why spend so much time worrying over a $2000 generator engine and not worry more over a $10,000 motor home engine? Strange thing. This also is beginning to be like the topic, "which oil is best?". There's a not an answer, just a lot of opinions.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #11

I have to agree with Dan and Windrider on the Sta-Bil. I started using it in the motorhome just before winter this year. I made sure to start and run the generator to insure that the Sta-Bil treated gas got to it and it's carb. As we tend to use our rig on the spur of the moment even in winter I don't want to drain the gas and "winterize" the generator. I noticed a HUGE difference in starting the generator after it had sat with the gas/Stabil mix for 2.5 months over just plain gas as in the past. It roared to life right away.

It's a must in most boat outboards now too as the Ethanol in our gas is playing havoc with them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #12

Has anybody had any problems just letting their generator sit in storage over the winter months and not starting it once per month for 30 minutes.
FLSTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #13

Fuel stabilizers got a bad rap a years ago when ethanol was mixed with gas. Sta-Bil and SeaFoam are now formulated to handle ethanol. I use SaeFoam on all my engine powered tools and toys that need to be stored. The only one that hav egiven me a problem are the ones that I forgot to add the stabilizer.

I would put in the required amount per the instructions on the can.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTC
Has anybody had any problems just letting their generator sit in storage over the winter months and not starting it once per month for 30 minutes.
YES!

Either the Genny on my used 2005 Georgetown was left in storage Or not run frequently or no fuel stabilizer was used. As a result, I had to have the carb removed, and the varnish removed. Since then I have run it regularly and used fuel stabilizer over longer storage periods and have no problems.

I agree with KY DAN, I had boat for 15 years and used stabilizer every winter with great results... And, by the way, I start and run the MH engine periodically as well.

I also put stabilizer in my car that sits home while we are in Florida.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #15

I always run both main chassis engine and gen engine, both gas every 3 weeks or so over the winter, keeps all batteries up and lubricates all engine parts regularly which is a good thing.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #16

If you can get to it and start it, I would do that every 2 weeks and don't worry about any fuel stabilizer. Having to clean the carb on one of those things is not fun.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #17

WE have decide to started the gen and eng. motor once a month for some time this will keep all working well we think.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote