Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #21

Though it has only been six months, we have driven about 3000 miles and it is still solid. I feel that I have fixed it for good. I wasn't going to have the same screws that the factory installed used again as the fix.
Eric52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #22

I was tempted to purchase a 2008 Georgetown 315DSSE after we sold our Cardinal Fifth, but after reading this I am very hesitant. I don't want issues when on vacation or traveling.

Are we sure there isn't a recall from FR on these? Being proactive would tell me that that this company wants customers to return.
JayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #23

side wall shear bolts

no a'm not afraid it can happen if it happen I will go after forest river it's warranty and it's structural, but as usual with a motorhome we have to be very carrefull so I allways check before I travel short trip or not I keep my eye open, am glad we have good people that sent good info on this Forum, and am allways willing to help , doesn't matter what you bye you
never know you might endup with a lemon hope not, have a great summer
cler-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #24

We too have this same problem AGAIN. 2009 Georgetown 36' toyhauler.
Left and right walls were repaired by dealer early in spring of this year.
Unfortunatly they repaired them the same way the factory built the RV even though we had asked for some upgrading. Well it's now fall and 3000 miles later the left wall is loose again. We are following Eric52's plan of repair ourselves. We are doing both sides. Thanks to the helpful Eric52. Hopefully get this repaired once, well, actually twice and done. I must add though that overall we are very happy with our RV. This is our second RV.
Mechanically it has been reliable and sound for 24,000 miles. I'll update on how we make out. Any suggestions for perfecting this repair?
January Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #25

side wall shear bolts, no didn't have any probleme yet I have 3000 milles on the RV
but keeping my eyes open never know when it will happen, it's like anything else even in our house appliances need to be fix, so if it happen I will contact FR
and get it fix like our friend did eric 52, bolts and nuts it's the only way it will hold the wall in place,
cler-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #26
Arvicru

A little worried here. Drove to Montana this week to see some family and while I was driving to fill my propane tank I made a turn and noticed my driver side wall moved independent of the floor When I got back to where we are staying, I looked underneath the wheel well and noticed about an 1/8 inch gap (which I could see day light)between the frame and outside wall. I leave back home (Ontario, CA.) on Friday and hope it doesn't get worse. I think I am going to pop the trim off and see if I can tighten the screws up. Hope it helps until I can get home a repair it properly. Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks,
Arvicru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvicru View Post
?........... I think I am going to pop the trim off and see if I can tighten the screws up. Hope it helps until I can get home a repair it properly. Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks,
My guess is when you pop the trim off you will discover that the screws are actually broken. If your sidewall moves up and down in relation to the floor, broken screws are indicated, they will not tighten. So if you pop the trim, I would suggest being prepared to perform a repair. I dread having to rip up carpet and floor insulation to perform the nut/bolt solution. I'm thinking about doubling the number of self-tapping screws,(if our GT ever needs it) applying the "strength in numbers" logic..! Maybe even four times the number. Also, I will be sure the screws I use are long enough to go thru both sides of the steel square tubing. I have the same year and model as the OP, so far ours is holding up.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
Arvicru

The wall is only moving a little and you can't tell unless you put your foot against where the floor and the wall meet. The gap is not big enough the see the actual screws, so I am kind of hoping they might have worked their way loose and I can possibly tighten him before they shear off, this how I think it happens anyway. The screws loosen up and then the movement of the wall increases until the screws snap. I could fix it properly if I was at home with the bolts.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #29

Did it stay fixed?

Our 2008 Georgetown 350SE is in the repair shop for this for the second time. They are covering it under the 100,000 mile chassis warranty.
Our coach has 99,100 miles on it. I've had it since 14,000 miles.
We are full timers.
Please tell me that your fix worked over the last year or so!

Thanks!
Joann26552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #30

The fix I made is solid. It has been nearly 18 mos. and it is still extremely solid.
Eric52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 AM   #31

Well it looks like the problem started in 2008 from the posts here. Anyone with anything older having a problem out there? Mine is a 340SE 06 took a look and it seems all tight, has 31000 on it.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #32
eyc

Has anyone performed this repair by gaining access to the rails from under their rig. Not sure if I have an issue but last year my electrical socket shorted while driving at highway speeds with the generator on. I also had to have a crack repaired on the front cap that no one could explain how it cracked. I really would like to not pull the carpet up, but I suspect I may have this issue as well.
eyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #33

Not sure you can reach from below, with thick floor insulation, structure, piping and cabling runs helter skelter and hidden steel works in the foam. Easier from the top.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #34
eyc

Well it's confirmed the passenger sidewall has separated. The problem is I am in route to my vacation spot, and it's my 25th wedding anniversary so I would really hate to have to turn around. I am heading to Charlestown SC. from Baltimore. Should I be worried that the wall could come completely off or is this something I can address when I return. This really does suck, last year I had to have the roof replaced because it was falling apart.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #35
eyc

Georgetown side wall bolts sheared off- and a fix!

Ok, we're half way to our destination. I pulled into a camp ground for the night after noticing I had a short in the front wall socket. Looked into pulling the molding off of the wall but noticed a clip is holding it on. Any one ever remove one of these moldings. If I can not get it off I am going to have to turn around.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #36

The bolts broke on the drivers side of my 350 on the way home from Florida. There was a half inch gap between the firewall and sidewall where they meet the cap .(picture 1-2) The bolts also broke along the wall to the living room slide. I contacted April Connor and Forest River approved Arlington rv to do the fix with larger screws. I stressed my concerns about just adding new screws and closing up the gap, I was worried cause something else will shift.(pictures 3-4). I now have a half inch gap between the windshield and dashboard that was not there before repair.(picture 5) Is the passenger side that is still fine. Forest River claims it did not have anything to do with them shifting the sidewall with larger screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-11_17-37-27_954.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	71531   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-07-11_17-30-35_853.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	71532   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-07_16-37-37_589.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	71533   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-07_16-38-15_682.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	71534   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-07_16-40-40_561.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	71535  

miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked11272 View Post
The bolts broke on the drivers side of my 350 on the way home from Florida. There was a half inch gap between the firewall and sidewall where they meet the cap .(picture 1-2) The bolts also broke along the wall to the living room slide. I contacted April Connor and Forest River approved Arlington rv to do the fix with larger screws. I stressed my concerns about just adding new screws and closing up the gap, I was worried cause something else will shift.(pictures 3-4). I now have a half inch gap between the windshield and dashboard that was not there before repair.(picture 5) Is the passenger side that is still fine. Forest River claims it did not have anything to do with them shifting the sidewall with larger screws.
The repair guy should have winched the floor framing back to square before applying the new bolts. In other works its like a box with no lid or bottom, it will easily skew out of square. They should have squared up first. It shouldn't get any worse unless more bolts in the frame fail also.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #38

That is correct, that is why Arlington rv suggested that the coach should be transported back to the factory to be repaired properly but the factory had them do it. The warranty manager at Arlington assured me that Forest River sent them instructions on how to fix it. I am trying to get instructions from them, now they say there were no instructions sent. I also contacted Forest river and they also have no record of instructions on how to fix the issue, and will not take responsibility for not taking the proper steps repair the coach. I'm in the process of contacting the BBB.
miked11272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #39

Has anyone reported this to NHTSA? I would hope this would fall under a vehicle safety issue. If you are driving down the highway and you vehicle is falling apart around you, it's a BIG safety issue.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #40
Arvicru

Has anybody tried have this covered under warranty as a second owner?