Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #61

This thread need to keep going as it seems others have had the same issues and started a new thread.
Anyone here from this original thread have any updates on their repairs?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #62
ME

Used OP fix and all is solid
Old 02-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #63

Is this still a problem with the 2015's?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #64

Bump
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:12 AM   #65

The fix on my Mirada is still going strong, Just finished 6,000 mile trip out west in January. The Mirada problem is similar and the fix is a little easier.

Emergency Exterior Wall Repair | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Old 04-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #66

How To Repair Georgetown side wall failure

Purchased a 2008 Georgetown 350SE with 16K miles on it, last October. Just got around to taking our first trip. My wife and I are Newbies. Traveled about a 1000 mile, eight day camping trip with the grand kids. Good news, had a great time. Loved it. Bad news side wall began to separate. By the time we got back there was about a 1" of daylight between the wall and floor. I've read Eric52's fix and it looks like I'm going to have to do that, because Forest River says, (thru Ron Green) that the Warranty has expired. I've left messages with FR with no response. Does anyone have a good way of getting the carpeting up without destroying it? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
QNH1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #67
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNH1013 View Post
Purchased a 2008 Georgetown 350SE with 16K miles on it, last October. Just got around to taking our first trip. My wife and I are Newbies. Traveled about a 1000 mile, eight day camping trip with the grand kids. Good news, had a great time. Loved it. Bad news side wall began to separate. By the time we got back there was about a 1" of daylight between the wall and floor. I've read Eric52's fix and it looks like I'm going to have to do that, because Forest River says, (thru Ron Green) that the Warranty has expired. I've left messages with FR with no response. Does anyone have a good way of getting the carpeting up without destroying it? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Not sure how the carpet is laid, but I would start on a back corner and see if I could lift it. It's going to be either glued or stapled, I'm going to go with stapled. Keep us posted as to your progress. I'm also just up the road from you in Tipp City if you anything.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:26 PM   #68

Does anyone know if FR has addressed this issue in the newer models? Anyone from FR listening? Scared to buy one of these things.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #69
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have not heard of this happening in the newer models. Most of what I read have been the 2008-09 models.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #70

Thanks Aquaman, I really appreciate it. This Forum is amazing and helpful. It has already "pulled my Phat outa the fire" many of times.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:08 PM   #71

Sheared bolts

Eric, Thanks for directing me, I've looked all over and could not pin point my problem. This is spot on what is going on with my rig. The only difference is I have the one self tapping screw back by the door and nothing is sheared off towards the front. Must have been time to go home when the last 4 feet needed to be screwed off. Are those screws going through anything structural on the wall or is it just going through the fiberglass? I guess bottom line, while it is at la mesa I should tell them to check the screws on the other side too. Oh wait, they would not do that unless the factory authorized it.
stevewilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #72

Thank you Eric52

A big thanks to Eric52! I just completed the repair work to both front side walls as pictured by Eric. Those pictures he posted were very helpful. I heeded his advice and used a hole saw. It was indeed easier. I left the holes open and test drove the RV to see if there was any movement in the bolts and the wall itself. The test route I took was not "off road", but it wasn't smooth highway either. I'm happy to report that there was no movement, rock solid. The real test of course will be our next trip. All I have to do now, is replace the carpeting and vinyl flooring. Which is way outside my wheel house.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 PM   #73

Now I'm nervous

Anybody have any statistics as to how prevalent this problem is? Any one run a quick survey through the forum for Georgetown owners as to how many have had it happen? Is that even possible?

We haven't taken delivery of our 2008 350ts yet and now I'm wondering if I should. I would probably be out some money if I told them the deal is off. It has 46,051 miles on it, it could be that has already happened and been repaired?

I know I'm most likely being overly worried, for nothing. I have the tools, been working on cars and trucks since I was a teenager. I have even built a car or two, pit crewed for people and have never been afraid to tackle anything in a mechanical way.

But as the saying goes... "I'm getting too old for this", the thought of doing Eric52 repair is not something with this back, and these hips and knees I want to think about.

Anybody have any idea as to what the cost would be to have it professionally done?

Thanks, done hand ringing and venting.
JohnnyMeteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #74
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMeteor View Post
Anybody have any statistics as to how prevalent this problem is? Any one run a quick survey through the forum for Georgetown owners as to how many have had it happen? Is that even possible?

We haven't taken delivery of our 2008 350ts yet and now I'm wondering if I should. I would probably be out some money if I told them the deal is off. It has 46,051 miles on it, it could be that has already happened and been repaired?

I know I'm most likely being overly worried, for nothing. I have the tools, been working on cars and trucks since I was a teenager. I have even built a car or two, pit crewed for people and have never been afraid to tackle anything in a mechanical way.

But as the saying goes... "I'm getting too old for this", the thought of doing Eric52 repair is not something with this back, and these hips and knees I want to think about.

Anybody have any idea as to what the cost would be to have it professionally done?

Thanks, done hand ringing and venting.
There's really no way of knowing how many or what percentage this has actually happened to. The few that are on the forum and have commented are a very very small percentage of the total number of units sold. So it's hard to say if this is confined to any certain time frame, build date, model, etc., or is just an occurrence that happens from rough, twisting roads. (I'm not putting blame on any individual here, as regardless, it shouldn't have happened.) I would check the unit out and if all looks good and you're happy with the deal, go for it.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #75

Mirada - Side Wall failure update

The Georgetown is different than the Mirada.. This may/ may not apply to the Georgetown, but might be worth looking at as this particular item might be similar. Someone with a Georgetown may wish to look into this.

I had reported in this thread (post # 52) about similar sidewall separation on my 2001 Mirada and what I did to repair it. READ HERE

Last weekend I discovered additional repairs that need to be done to help support the side wall. There is a structural plate on my F53 chassis (2001) that is also used to support the wall. The screws for this plate were all missing. I drilled through the wall and installed stainless carriage bolts. This repair seems structurally sound, but may / may not be visually acceptable to some users.

http://www.2001mirada.com/additional...ers-side-wall/

Old 05-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #76
ME

My Georgetown had less than 20,000 miles and started to fail. Did repair similar to what was posted here and a year later no problems yet. Cost is going to be a tough one to consider unless they have done the repair before be CAUTIOUS!
Old 06-04-2016, 03:15 PM   #77

Thank you

I want to express my thanks to this forum and all the helpful people that are here to help.

I stated earlier in this thread that we had gone thru with a deal for an 08 350 tsse. The collapsing walls and open air driving really got me unnerved.

We still have not picked it up and that is fine, I told the salesmen that I want everything in working order. If it took longer that is fine too.

I just got off the phone with the salesman and I'm a happy camper thanks to this forum.

The left slide looked like it was riding high on the left front corner, right where it meets the infamous wall section. You guessed it, not the slide, the wall had dropped. The salesman took a copy of my email with my concerns and links to this thread to the service guys in the shop, they were at first thinking nah. But after pulling the moldings off and checking, yes the wall had dropped down, maybe 1 tiny screw holding it.

The slide is now lined up and by that I mean the striping is now aligned. They used 4 inch 1/4 inch self tapping lagging screws, put 10 in each side after they jacked the walls up. They assure me it will not go anywhere now.

Thanks to the forum and the staff at Sicards, I will not be wondering if I will have a well ventilated ride.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #78

Side wall bolt issue - how to remove trim

have read many of the messages and all mention remove the side trim to be able to get to the sheared screws. However no one mentioned how to get the trim off. I saw where on post said to use screw drivers, however I tried that with no luck. Can someone one help describe in detail how to remove the trim?
John 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #79

side trim

Now that mine as been repaired, I can see the piece that holds the plastic trim. It resembles a piece of narrow channel. The reason it is exposed is that they broke the actual trim when taking it off both sides.

They are waiting for the replacement parts to arrive, along with numerous other cosmetic things.

So, if they couldn't get it off without breaking it I don't know what to tell you.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:17 PM   #80

"
,!m

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
richardloftin is offline   Reply With Quote