Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #141

I appreciate all of the replies and thoughts and ideas from you folks, we will see how long we can go now that we have had repairs made. I'm hoping we have all of the problems some folks seem to have with a new unit. We have had new units before but never had any issues. My first thought was maybe we got a Friday vehicle, you know, like they say about cars built on a Friday. Anyway we are looking at some good trips on our Georgetown, And I will still recommend them to friends and family. It's put together pretty good, most problems were from parts that were used on it, I figure there were a thousand built and I just lucked out and got the one that was bad in the case...never know. Anyway, have a great day and see you on the road.!
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #142
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
My first thought was maybe we got a Friday vehicle, you know, like they say about cars built on a Friday.
We were told that each Georgetown is on the production line for four days so it's pretty much a given that one of those days will be a Friday. Ours went on the line on a Thursday but was delayed a day or so on the line. I think it was 6 to 8 RV's a day coming off the line.

It was supposed to come off the production line the day we looked at it and we actually were told it could have come off in the morning, before we arrived. I'm betting it had a good two days left when we saw it so we actually could have a Double Friday vehicle.

After the line it goes to paint and then back for whatever else could not be accomplished on the first pass. It's just no longer on the wheeled platforms that move it on rails from one side of the plant to the other. So yeah, when it comes back for the finishing tasks it technically already is "off the rails".

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #143
NXR

If it's any consolation you've just added several things to my PDI list.

Ray
Old 05-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #144
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Dalin, what precisely pulled away from what? When I was at the Georgetown factory on Tuesday looking at our GT5 34H5 I specifically looked at how the exterior wall is secured to the aluminum wall framing. The fiberglass wall was screwed to the wall aluminum tubular (actually rectangular) framing with what appeared to be self-tapping screws.

I cannot figure out what is dropping away from what. Is it the exterior fiberglass wall separating from the aluminum wall framing? Is it that the entire wall including the framing separated away from the floor framing? There didn't seem to be any way for the floor framing to separate from the F-53 chassis.

Thanks for any details you can provide.

Ray
The Self Tapping screws are the problem.
They can not handle the stress these walls produce driving down the road
They need to use nuts and bolts and this problem would be solved 100%
2017 Honda Civic
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #145
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post
I believe you’ve nailed it exactly.
Nuts and bolts is always better than screws, and just like every other occurrence, it’s just a matter of cost everytime.

PM me and I’ll tell you why I’m not making this statement without being able to back it up.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:09 PM   #146

07 George Town, You guys I have same problem it does not go away.
Only way to fix it,get rid of self tapping screws, do Eric 52 method.
Iam bolting my front,tomorrow.
Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #147

07, Georgetown
Raised side walls, refasten to floor.
How tight should I tighten New hardware.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:05 PM   #148

Thanks Eric 52,
Just completed side wall project. Got it all back together.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #149
NXR

Has it only been the front screws that are breaking? I've read about driver side gaps and passenger side gaps but I do not recall seeing anything about the screws further back than the door opening breaking.

What did you do specifically, Swag? Number of bolts, length, size, bolt material, etc. How long did it take? How did you "raise the walls"? Was it really "walls" plural?

Do you have any add-ons for the suspension such as SumoSprings? Because these reports seem to be far and few between I'm wondering if the root cause (other than the screws, of course) is the suspension bottoming out and putting a lot of "impact" stress on the screws.

Only seven NHTSA complaints for this problem in the last eighteen years: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post2094374

Ray
Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #150

07 George Town, Aleining front end tomorrow,going for drive after .
I would like to thank everyone for there help.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #151

Moving along with this sidewall saga, I see some great comments, and as it might seem that the thread is getting long, a person needing some sort of help with this will probably see some value in these comments and remedies.
I got mine back from my dealer, they took care of doing the repairs and redid it as it was from the factory. I did take a 225 mile each way trip to Virginia Beach last week for 6 days and the trip went great. Doesn't seem to be anything presently that would relate to the wall having more problems but, we will know if and when it happens, as for now we are happy with the work and our RV.
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 AM   #152
eyc

So I repaired the walls on my 2009 Georgetown a few years ago. Today I noticed both from corners had wrinkles on the inside walls. I looked for water damage but the walls appear to be dry. Has anyone else experienced this?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	212742Attachment 1
eyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #153
NXR

When you run your hand across them, are they hard as if it's the structure itself or soft like wrinkly wallpaper? Crunchy at all if you push on it?

I have not had the wall problem yet.

Ray
Old 08-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #154
eyc

The wall paper is soft. During my Indpection this morning I also noticed that this under the mirrors. I’m in the middle of a trip now, but when I am home this week I am going to check to make sure I fo not have a leak at the mirror mounts.
eyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #155

Sidewall failure

Your discription on how to fix sidewall failure was outstanding. However you failed to tell where you placed the jack. I have the same problem but can’t find a structural member on the outside of the coach to place the jack. I have a 2008 Georgetown 340 which may be different than yours as far as the supporting members. Can you give me information on this issue?
Chantilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #156

Well this happened to our 2010 Georgetown DS - the passenger side only. I removed the moulding and found all the bolts have all been sheared off. Replaced with new 5" - 1/4 x 20 stainless steel bolts. I felt the 3/8" was bit of overkill. Drilled and mounted with 6 on the passenger side and another 5 on the driver side as well just for precaution. Total time about 1 hour total and $25 for the drill bit / countersink bit / bolts, washers and nuts.

Thank you for this thread since I could not find anything on the internet about this.

BTW - Bolt Depot on the internet has all the sizes and nuts you will need. Super service ordered on Thursday had the bolts on Saturday regular mail - believe it or not, really regular mail !

ArubaGeorgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:46 AM   #157

Side wall fix

Glad it worked out for you, just added two more 6 V batteries, give me a total of 4 volt batteries. Getting back to sidewall failure, this winter I’ll be Take it off the rest of the trim around the Motorhome to check the rest of the screws.
Good luck with yours.
Old 12-01-2020, 03:43 PM   #158

Follow up Georgetown Side Wall Failure

Follow up - I had to take the coach for its State Inspection - I have to say after getting on the road with the coach it seemed tight and quiet. Noticeable difference so glad I have it fixed now but do plan on inspecting the rest of the coach this spring

ArubaGeorgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #159
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELHUB View Post

Well during our yearly trip to Key West in AUGUST 2020.
I was on the FL turnpike and looked down and noticed my walling was starting move away from the floor, only about 1/4 inch at this point.

Thanks to this forum I already knew what needed to be done to fix this issue.
I made the required repairs using BOLTS not screws as they would only fail again.

I guess I was the lucky one, it took a long time for this issue to show up.
I had just hit the 7 year mark and had just over 60,000 miles before it happened.

I am really curious why this problem only seems to appear on the driver side.
I thought about this and the only difference is the large power steering box may be placing additional stress on the structure on the driver side.

I realize the steering box is attached to the frame and not the wall supports. I just can't seem to find any other reason for all of the driver side failures and no issues on the passenger side.

I decided to do this modification to the passenger side even though It did not present any signs at all.
2017 Honda Civic
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:08 PM   #160
NXR

Quote:
I am really curious why this problem only seems to appear on the driver side.
I thought about this and the only difference is the large power steering box may be placing additional stress on the structure on the driver side.

I realize the steering box is attached to the frame and not the wall supports. I just can't seem to find any other reason for all of the driver side failures and no issues on the passenger side.
Hmmm. I always why I see really thin women married to significantly less-than-thin men. And the men are driving. I wonder if there is a connection?

Ray