Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Cool Hydraulic fluid level

I have a 2011 GT 374, can anyone tell at what level my hydraulic fluid level should be with slides and jacks retracted, there are 2 marks on the dipstick, should it be the lower or higher mark, one is 3/4 " from bottom of dipstick and the other about 3 " from bottom.
jmduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

Not familiar with a dip stick, I just look at the plastic tank (jug). You should be full with slides in and jacks up, as the fluid returns to the container
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmduc View Post
I have a 2011 GT 374, can anyone tell at what level my hydraulic fluid level should be with slides and jacks retracted, there are 2 marks on the dipstick, should it be the lower or higher mark, one is 3/4 " from bottom of dipstick and the other about 3 " from bottom.
Just sounds logical that one is a low mark and one is a high mark.
With all slides out anad levellers down see where it reads on the dip stick.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
After dealing with Lippert and FR on a hydraulic slide issue, they both told me that it should reach the tip of your finger when you have your finger in the tank from your first knuckle with all slides and jacks retracted

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #5

In the Lippert Manual, which I downloaded from this site, they state 1/2" from the filling spout.
curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

I had a difficult time getting my slides to retract today and found the hydraulic fluid was very low (could not even see any in the tank while slides were out). Finally my son, a mechanic, got them in but nowhere could we find what type of hydraulic to add. Is there a special kind? A small amount came back into the tank when the jacks were raised and the sildes retracted. I have a 2011 378 TS.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyu View Post
I had a difficult time getting my slides to retract today and found the hydraulic fluid was very low (could not even see any in the tank while slides were out). Finally my son, a mechanic, got them in but nowhere could we find what type of hydraulic to add. Is there a special kind? A small amount came back into the tank when the jacks were raised and the sildes retracted. I have a 2011 378 TS.
The type fluid should be listed in your units manual and/or on the tank or nearby sticker.

It is normal for hydraulic fluid to return to the tank when slides,jacks or other hydraulic pistons return to their retracted position as the fluid is no longer being used to push the pistons out.

Sounds like you have a hydraulic leak (s).
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #8

That is what we thought too but nowhere did it say what type. Nor do I even have a manual other than the basic one that covers everything from electrical to plumbing.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
As pe rmanual. See picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atf.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	39772  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #10

Thanks Iggy. My son said he thought it looked like ATF but he did not want to risk it.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #11

what I did was when we first got our rig I put marks on the tank when the slides and jacks were extended and retracted.
RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERBOB View Post
what I did was when we first got our rig I put marks on the tank when the slides and jacks were extended and retracted.
Very good idea.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic