Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blightle View Post
I just read this old thread. I just experienced this same problem. Slide outs would not retract. When I would press the rocker switch to bring them in, they just kept moving out until fully extended. Fortunately I reached a tech at Lippert within about 8 minutes. He told me that I blew the diodes in the wiring harness and walked me through the workaround that VinceU earlier in the thread described. I now have a new wiring harness with new diodes on order for $150. My voltage was very low (still resolving that issue) around 8.5 volts and he said that if you try to operate the slides at that low of voltage, the amps are increased significantly and it blows the diodes - that certainly would have been nice to know beforehand. Anyone ever heard of the low voltage causing the diodes to blow? Also, I see a black box on the outside of the wiring harness by the pump. About2.5 inches long and 3/4 inches think. Assume the diodes are inside but the box is sealed. Once I get the new harness on and working, I plan to crack open this old one to see if the diodes could actually be replaced (Lippert said they could not). Anyone every try to replace the diodes?
Heres the hermetically sealed "box" exposed! I had these pics in my other thread but just for ready reference here they are again.

!st is the capble itself you see in the middle the "box" has been extracted from the taped spit protection jacket.
2nd is the board itself. The connection side is shown cause it was the easiet to free. The large white wire is switched by a scr or medium transistor, it pairs with the black wire shown at right and opens/closes the reversing fluid solonoid. With measurements I found the white conected all the time, shorted through. A microprocessor was sending a signal to the scr/trans to fire all the time, this will cause all devices to extend, always when a command is given. There are two diodes on the board, they both measured ok. My cable failed on a jack retract, probalbly the lowest load of all with the weight of the coach assisting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chip.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	22062   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	22063  

Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #12
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I had similar problems this past weekend. I found two diodes in the Ford fuse box under the front left dash. The are labeled as being fit the gear shift interlock but I'm now fairly certain they are for the jacks and slides. One of the diodes had fried/melted. You can get new ones at a Ford dealer. Less than $10. I think the diodes are used to prevent jack operation without the engine running and to prevent slide operation when the engine is running. Hopefully I don't have a bad harness as well. Time will tell.....

Old 05-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #13

more horrors from NS Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
I had similar problems this past weekend. I found two diodes in the Ford fuse box under the front left dash. The are labeled as being fit the gear shift interlock but I'm now fairly certain they are for the jacks and slides. One of the diodes had fried/melted. You can get new ones at a Ford dealer. Less than $10. I think the diodes are used to prevent jack operation without the engine running and to prevent slide operation when the engine is running. Hopefully I don't have a bad harness as well. Time will tell.....
I had the same problems but in my case was my hyd pump leaked fliud into the motor and burnt the motor out after the jacks went down. I removed everything and installed a new pump seal and new motor and reinstalled everything . Ny switches for the slides do the same as mentioned in a different post above and my jacks are still down. I had to disconnect the directional valve to get the slides in and the jacks retracted partially but not to the full up position. Possibly from air or something else.

I am disconnecting the diode in question and going to try and find one at the ford dealer. I hope I can get one and thank you for the advice.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trempert View Post
Trempert
I've been looking all over for the diode at our local auto parts stores. Our ford dealer told me that the diode now comes with a harness and not separate any more. My burnt out one is from lippert and no #s are available let alone the part. They too have the diode build into a new controller of which will need their new harness for it. Quite costly as well and a long wait for it to get here to Nova Scotia, Canada. We have a "Parts Source" store here but need a part #. Can you possibly find a part # and send it in a reply?
Old 05-29-2017, 10:51 PM   #15

Keep in mind a diode is simply a electronic check valve, it allows negative current to flow but blocks positive. To renew one you need to know the voltage rating and current or wattage it must pass. Take yourself bad one to a electronic supply house. Also realize the failure in "Hydraulic Horrors" was not a diode at all but rather a micro processor failure which triggered a transistor to short to ground causing the reversing solenoid to extend all rams. It's much more complex than Lippert claim "it's a diode"!
Old 05-30-2017, 12:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_dog View Post
Trempert
I've been looking all over for the diode at our local auto parts stores. Our ford dealer told me that the diode now comes with a harness and not separate any more. My burnt out one is from lippert and no #s are available let alone the part. They too have the diode build into a new controller of which will need their new harness for it. Quite costly as well and a long wait for it to get here to Nova Scotia, Canada. We have a "Parts Source" store here but need a part #. Can you possibly find a part # and send it in a reply?

Just Google Ford Diode Fuse and see all that comes up.
All it does it only allow DC current to run in one direction so it won't backfeed into another system.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-F5TZ-14A.../dp/B000O0HM9I
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Just Google Ford Diode Fuse and see all that comes up.
All it does it only allow DC current to run in one direction so it won't backfeed into another system.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-F5TZ-14A.../dp/B000O0HM9I
That pic is certainly not the same as the little black cicuit with the failed diodes. It doesn't have all the 5 wires on it. I am going to have to ask Lippert to send me just the black box without the rest of the harness. They advised me already in an email that the old harness is not available anymore but a new one is and accompanied by a new controller. They told me to look in an outside compartment and screwed to the ceiling of it for the controller. I looked every where and coln't find it. I need the part# fo it for them to identify the type I need for them to send. Any idea where it is located in the Georgetown 373? Please let me know.

pr_dog is offline   Reply With Quote