Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Hyrdaulics all out....again.....sigh

So 6 weeks after the 3600 mile drive to the factory to have the entire hyrdaulic system replaced we are again without slides and jacks.

I think we are finally ready to give up, you can only go so far trying to keep the dream alive.

Driving down the road, hydraulic alarm goes off, pull over and look in hydraulic resevoir, no fluid. Fluid all pouring out of the propane storage bin and down the back of the under step area. As best as I can tell the outer ram seal on the rear kitchen slider went. Almost impossible to get to that ram to trouble shoot as only one end is accessible and that compartment over the propane tanks is tiny. Notice the factory cut a hole in the floor to gain access to change it, but then glued the hole back up so I can't get back in that way.

Doubt I'll get anyone in Canada or the States this week, sigh. 1500km from factory, no Forest River dealers anywhere near and I'm not sure I trust a general RV repair shop to cut an access hole in the floor to replace the ram, then bleed and readjust all the sliders correctly. Man do I hate Lippert at this point. Thats 3 hyrdaulic pumps and manifolds, two sets of lines and two sets of rams. Either they have a serious manufacturing control problem or the rams and lines Forest River are using are just not beefy enough for the job.

I'm afraid to move the rig as with zero hyrdaulic fluid I figure the rams and slides are all in free motion. Having no slide interlocks or jack retention springs is a rather stupid safety design in my mind, sigh. Going to try to wire the jacks up and cross tie off the sliders with ropes through the bins so I can at least drive it to the dump or the closest high cliff.

This should not be this hard.....

SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Yikes... and I'm sorry to you're having to go through this. I'm curious, what was the original problem that caused you to get your entire hydraulic system replaced?

lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
I hate it when I know someone just ain't havin' no luck and dang sure ain't havin' no fun.
jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote