Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
NXR

I added insulation behind the front speakers and...

Since the front speakers are pretty worthless while driving at highway speeds because they're up so high, not angled down and just sitting in a boxed-in area open to the outside wall, I decided to try lining the front speaker areas with some home fiberglass insulation today. I put it on all four sides of the speaker "box" and against the outside wall. There's not much free air area in there now and it definitely changed the way the speakers sound.

I did the driver's side first and switched between speakers with the equalizer touchscreen control. Lots more lows and not anywhere near as tinny-sounding while sitting in the driveway while using the default "Optimal" equalizer setting.

I selected User on the equalizer and cranked most of the higher controls to full up and it's sounding fairly nice.

Hopefully the insulation will cut down on all of the outside wind noise hitting the back of the speaker and muddying up the sound. I'll find out next week. Stay tuned...

Note that I have the Jensen XRV10 10.1" radio/camera display so a different radio will have different ways to adjust the sound response.

Ray
Old 11-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Btm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Since the front speakers are pretty worthless while driving at highway speeds because they're up so high, not angled down and just sitting in a boxed-in area open to the outside wall, I decided to try lining the front speaker areas with some home fiberglass insulation today. I put it on all four sides of the speaker "box" and against the outside wall. There's not much free air area in there now and it definitely changed the way the speakers sound.

Hopefully the insulation will cut down on all of the outside wind noise hitting the back of the speaker and muddying up the sound. I'll find out next week. Stay tuned..
Ray
I believe my speakers are located where yours are --- Straight up above the drivers/passengers shoulders.

What type of insulation--paper backed fiberglass ?

Keep us posted on the results.

I have tapered bezels on the speakers in my boat. They would slant the speakers down. Maybe there are some tapered mounts that would fit the speakers

Btm
CHF rear, CHF front, Sumo springs front
Btm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
NXR

Yes, that's where they are located.

No, the non-paper backed stuff. It's normally used for adding extra layers of insulation because the paper vapor barrier is not needed.

I used white PPG stuff, R30, that was left over from adding insulation to the house. The thickness of that stuff allowed me to easily tear it into less-thick strips to stuff into that small area.

Ray
Old 11-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #4

Mine were insulated by the previous owner. I found that out when I was checking the coax cable for the CB. I'm going to replace them when I redo and replace the radio. The stock radio sucks at best. I'm replacing it with a Pioneer double din. I'll probably do the upper front speakers and add some rear lowers to even out the sound. I plan on having my phone gps linked to the radio screen. Then I'll have built in GPS on the screen and directions through the radio. Should sound way better too.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
drw

speaker for Georgetown

share pictures if you can. I have thought of trying something myself.
hardly use the radio while driving. cannot understand what is being said or broadcast due to other noise
drw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw View Post
share pictures if you can. I have thought of trying something myself. hardly use the radio while driving. cannot understand what is being said or broadcast due to other noise
Unfortunately a picture would just show the speaker hole with insulation. The area is about 4" deep and 15" wide. I just cut some insulation off the roll in 4" wide strips and pushed it in place on the bottom, the front and rear sides and the top so the speaker was kind of boxed in by the insulation. Each piece is probably three inches thick.

Then I cut another piece to place against the outside wall and the speaker pushes on that piece. So there is not very much free air space behind the speaker at all but it works. It probably took me fifteen minutes total.

Ray
Old 11-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

I don't know where or how yours sit...but I replaced my front speakers with a pair of Polk 6.5" speakers which I mounted to stand off from the ceiling with available plastic speaker spacer rings...this allowed me the space and depth an actually way better speaker needed. It ain't ideal but it is way better than the tiny, tinny paper speakers most of the coaches come with. I have a post with pictures of it somewhere on the forum...will try to find and link.
BTW,,, if you have open space behind your speakers...the matte will help a little but it is kinda like spraying Glade on crap!

Edit...here's the link on my front speaker install from 2016.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nd-111346.html
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #8

If you aren't using them while driving, adding insulation behind speakers is going to reduce the sound quality. The insulation will absorb some of the frequencies depending on the type of insulation.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If you aren't using them while driving, adding insulation behind speakers is going to reduce the sound quality. The insulation will absorb some of the frequencies depending on the type of insulation.
True but fortunately they don't sound very good as stock and my hearing dynamic range gets more limited as I age.

Right now the radio is so "muddy" when driving that we usually just keep it off.

After adjusting the equalizer it sounds pretty decent when parked. If I want better quality I'll crank up the TV's sound bar because it has a radio as well.

Ray
Old 11-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

You can buy Acousta-Stuf Polyfill from Radio Shack or the place I buy my speaker building materials, Parts Express. It is made specifically for dampening inside speaker cabinets. Most RV speakers are automotive speakers type speakers that are designed to be in free air. But dampening the enclosure or cabinet will improve the sound especially if the enclosure is a leaky box made of plywood or paneling.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
You can buy Acousta-Stuf Polyfill from Radio Shack or the place I buy my speaker building materials, Parts Express. It is made specifically for dampening inside speaker cabinets. Most RV speakers are automotive speakers type speakers that are designed to be in free air. But dampening the enclosure or cabinet will improve the sound especially if the enclosure is a leaky box made of plywood or paneling.
Are there any Radio Shacks still open? There are none around here. I agree that the proper insulation would make a difference however I was just looking for "usable". We took a drive at speeds up to 45 today to refill the propane. The radio sound is decidedly improved and good enough for us. Your mileage may vary.

Ray
Old 11-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Are there any Radio Shacks still open?
Radio Shack ... they are in mostly rural locations, franchise operations... I just saw two of them while driving through FL last month...

USE this place for internet purchases for your speaker needs. Have dealt with them for 30 years or more.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/ca...grill-cloth/22

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #13

Ya, Radio Shack locations are thin. Only about 15 left in the state of Michigan. Parts Express is good to order online or if your around Dayton Ohio.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:17 AM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Ya, Radio Shack locations are thin. Only about 15 left in the state of Michigan. Parts Express is good to order online or if your around Dayton Ohio.

I'm on the other side of the state but I do have relatives in that area.

Ray
Old 11-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #15
NXR

We took a multi-hour interstate trip and the insulation helped a lot. We streamed XM via Bluetooth all the way and when Waze interrupted with an alert we could understand it, unlike before.

The highs definitely are lacking even with the equalizer cranked up so maybe I'll hunt for a replacement speaker with a built-in tweeter.

I'm going to check the speaker phasing first, though.

Ray
Old 11-28-2019, 08:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

I'm going to check the speaker phasing first, though.

Ray
Phasing only affects bass response so you might as well look for something with a nice tweeter AND a better woofer cone and surround. My Polks have adjustable direction tweets which is good for vehicles since you can beam the highs where you are sitting. Not exclusive to Polk and a nice feature to look for.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Phasing only affects bass response so you might as well look for something with a nice tweeter AND a better woofer cone and surround. My Polks have adjustable direction tweets which is good for vehicles since you can beam the highs where you are sitting. Not exclusive to Polk and a nice feature to look for.
Yup and I should have clarified that. I may lose some of the stereo effect but it's not terribly pronounced now anyway.

If the speakers are in phase now and I switch them to out of phase I might lose a noticeable amount of the predominantly bass response thereby accentuating the highs without replacing the speakers. That's not a normal use for phasing but hey, my old ears in a high noise RV cockpit probably won't care.

Ray

Tags
insulation