Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

I hate WIND

we just pulled into home after spending weekend at Colorado city tx state park which is only 38 miles from our house,,we took the access road at 40 mph home because of the damn wind ,blowing 40-50 mph several times thought we might be blown over, white knuckle experience next time we will just wait it out. one of the worst winds out here in west texas in a while
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #2

opps 30-35 with gusts to 40-50 mph
rwehba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #3

Sometimes waiting it out is the best/safest thing to do.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Site Team

I hate wind too, towing or not! I'm glad that you made it home safely.

The first part of my maiden trip was cancelled due to high winds and gusts up to 65 mph. Once I was staying at a local campground and the gusts were pretty strong on the day I was departing. Even with being about 10 miles from home (all city streets) the wind made me nervous especially since I needed to pass through on a bridge in a construction area. I don't have much experience towing in windy conditions.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Happy Member

I know exactly what you mean....went thru Vegas desert with similar cross winds and holly smokes- I wanted to get off and kiss the ground when we got home....talk about white knuckle experience....I also wanted to pull over but where in the middle of the dessert?\glad you got home safe.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #6

Sometimes....

discretion is the better part of valor.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

Those unexpected gusts are what makes you check your undies.....
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehba View Post
we just pulled into home after spending weekend at Colorado city tx state park which is only 38 miles from our house,,we took the access road at 40 mph home because of the damn wind ,blowing 40-50 mph several times thought we might be blown over, white knuckle experience next time we will just wait it out. one of the worst winds out here in west texas in a while
Surely living in Sweetwater,Texas you can't be complaining about the wind.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwehba View Post
just another day in west texas....lol....i had my trailer out for mods this weekend...had a few 52mph gusts....gotta love it.....

almost as bad as last year when i was heading up to caprock canyon on I-27 north..... 40-50 mph head winds....

first time I EVER saw my truck not want to cruise in overdrive........and i got a whopping 7.8MPG driving up there....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
just another day in west texas....lol....i had my trailer out for mods this weekend...had a few 52mph gusts....gotta love it.....

almost as bad as last year when i was heading up to caprock canyon on I-27 north..... 40-50 mph head winds....

first time I EVER saw my truck not want to cruise in overdrive........and i got a whopping 7.8MPG driving up there....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Forest River Forums mobile app
That's life in West Texas and Lubbock. The first time I was ever in Lubbock was the day I drove up from Fort Worth to report to my first FAA duty station there. It was in March and the wind was blowing so hard that you almost had to stop driving for lack of visibly and the tumbleweeds were piling up against power poles,fences,buildings etc.

Residents of Lubbock told me that sometimes tumbleweeds would blow into your vehicles radiator (this was in 1990 when radiators were more exposed than nowadays) and their pointed end would puncture the radiator.

A couple of times I saw it raining while the dust was blowing and it turned into airborne mud. Luckily the wind blew mostly in the first 3-4 months of the year and then calmed down.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #11

Yup..I once had tumbleweeds piled between my house and fence about 45' long and all the way to the eve... (8ft or so)....I loaded and dumped 4 flatbed trailers of them to clean it out!!..mudrain is fun too.....ive seen tumbleweeds 5 ft high in the middle of the road...I would imagine hitting one at 50mph would not be nice...

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
Yup..I once had tumbleweeds piled between my house and fence about 45' long and all the way to the eve... (8ft or so)....I loaded and dumped 4 flatbed trailers of them to clean it out!!..mudrain is fun too.....ive seen tumbleweeds 5 ft high in the middle of the road...I would imagine hitting one at 50mph would not be nice...

sent from fat fingers via a space dish thing with no regard to grammer.
On the other hand, I lived there for 10 years and after around April it's really nice weather there.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #13

The tumbleweeds were blowing on I-10 yesterday in New Mexico. I pulled off for a few hours at the welcome center near El Paso until the wind died down, but then it picked up again later in New Mexico. I kept reminding myself I had full tanks of water and fuel to keep the center of gravity low on the Georgetown. Not a fun drive...
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #14

They have closed the bridge to Canada here several times, NYS Thruway was closed last week to semi's and any trailer, all due to wind. A few years ago the 1000 Islands bridge had an Rv wrecked on it because of the wind.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #15

During trip west in Jan and Feb we encountered stiff south winds in west Texas and into NM. Stopped in Deming, NM and had steer safe install their answer to cross winds. I found them to be quite helpful. Nothing will completely solve the problem but I did find my knuckles were not nearly as white after installation. I am glad I had them installed.
jmacintyre is offline   Reply With Quote